It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
Elder Scrolls V 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Elder Scrolls V
Yeah that was fun. :) Maybe you should all play Dwarf Fortress for some procedural storytelling. :P

- Coach

Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:40 am
Minor Diety

Skyrim info:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04 ... ut-skyrim/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04 ... im-skills/

Some highlights

Quote:
The menus are pure sex, basically. The crisp, floating text, tiered menus and full 3D renderings of every inventory item is light years ahead of the fugly boxes and fuzzy, endless lists of Oblivion and Fallout 3. Seriously: these may be the best-looking in-game menus in history.

Quote:
Conversations with NPCs no longer involves an awkward zoom-in to their strange faces, a fixed perspective and an ugly text box. Now, it’s clean, sharp text floating directly onto the screen, and you’re free to look around as you please. Much of the incidental conversation, such as back stories, can be had while going for a stroll with a character as they chat away ambiently, rather than standing there clicking through text from a static position because you’re worried about missing something.

For our arachnaphobes

Quote:
The Giant Frostbite Spider, in motion, may well be one of the most frightening things I’ve ever seen.

Quote:
We won’t suffer the horrible voice repetition of Oblivion. “We’ve expanded it a lot. It’s a much bigger jump even from Fallout in terms of VO and the amount of people we have.” Max Von Sydow won’t be the only celebrity voice in the game, either… “I think you’ll all be very impressed, but it’s not just about getting the name on there.”

Quote:
The engine looks absolutely phenomenal in motion, with the draw distance, streaming and detail able to handle “massive changes in scale from plant to mountain.” There’s none of that awkward visual disparity between near and far away objects which we saw in Oblivion. Meanwhile, tree branches wobble delicately in the wind, mountain peaks have their own micro-climates (such as gorgeous snow and mist), and even your character’s hands are wonderfully animated – a far cry from the forever-clenched fists of so many games. “We like the downtime, the moments like watching the sunset, staring at the water.” Even pulling up the map involves seamlessly zooming up and above the world to look down at a full 3D rendering of it.

Quote:
There’s a real in-game economy. If, for any reason, you decide to destroy a local lumber mill, you’ll find it results in a shortage of wooden objects such as arrows in nearby shops. You probably shouldn’t destroy the lumber mill, then. Alternatively, you could chop some wood for the lumber mill, which will earn you a bit of cash.

Quote:
The skills/perks system is presented as a vast, twinkling star field populated by stellar patterns in the shape of this world’s various gods. The idea is your character looks to the very heavens for inspiration and power, rather than to some out of game list of stats. As you pick a perk the chart slowly lights up. “You’re creating this custom constellation just drawn for you.” It’s epic, strange and beautiful, and it makes character-tailoring visually part of the game rather than a bunch of statistics strewn across the menu screen.

But then, after all the good news;

Quote:
The skill and attribute system has been rethought to make it more streamlined yet offer much more varied character builds. We’re down from 8 attributes and 21 skills to 3 attributes and 18 skills, which will probably cause gasps of horror in some camps, but actually the aim is to make character builds even more diverse while getting rid of redundant levelling. Acrobatics is gone, for instance – “who makes a character that is like ‘I am someone who doesn’t run?” Each skill unlocks a series of perks, which add multiple new abilities – such as a slow-time mode for arrow shooting. Each perk has certain requirements, not purely having unlocked the one below it. “You see a perk you like and say ‘I’m going to start using my sword more because I want that perk”, says Howard. The attributes, meanwhile, are distilled to Health, Magicka and Stamina. “What we found was those [old] attributes actually did something else. For instance, Intelligence just affected Magicka. They all trickled down to some other stat.” Again- this will cause gasps of horror. Maybe those will be justified, maybe they won’t – we won’t know until we play. Conceptually speaking, however, I dig the idea of your character build now being more about your actions than about strict segmenting into what were in some cases multiple attributes with similar effects. It does mean it’s more a game of actions than of numbers, and that’s always going to get backs up, but in this instance I’m fairly sure they’ve genuinely done it to increase engagement with your character and what he/she/it gets up to than to stoooopidise matters.

Goddamn that sounds like a fucking action game. Like Diablo FPS. Nothing wrong with Diablo obviously, but this is an RPG or was supposed to be anyway. Not very optimistic about this. The dumbing down of the character creation system from Daggerfall on continues. Every game there's less and less options. :/

- Coach

Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:37 am
Minor Diety

Super sexy dragon gameplay vid. Well I assume. I haven't watched it yet coz I'm watching the Ubisoft live stream. Or rather trying to. It worked fine up til Assassin's Creed. You know, the bit I'm waiting for... *goes off to assassinate everyone using the internet right at this moment in time*

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-20 ... lls/714852

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Very cool. The dragon fights look pretty awesome.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah that's an amazing clip. It's funny how Bethesda games never fail to tickle my fancy...and only 5-6 months away too! This new graphics card is gonna come in handy. :P

- Coach

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:15 am
Minor Diety

Yeah it's annoying, I only upgraded 1.5 years ago but now I'm tempted to upgrade again for Skyrim if I keep this new job... after all my previous upgrade was for Oblivion 6 years ago!

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

1.5 years ago? Jeez, is that graphics card made out of bronze? Get with the program! :wink: Shiny's still running a 9800gt. :roll:

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I had a shit job and then no job :P

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

haha.... Shiny's got the reverse going on. :P Actually, I kinda gave her the computer she's using now. Other than the graphics card and the memory, I think she actually paid for those. But the thing's freaking ancient now.

too bad this game doesn't come out until 11/11/2011. :(

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Apparently preorders will get a nice map. Yay. A map.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1178490p1.html
Quote:
Those who pre-purchase Skyrim will receive a "premium quality" world map at no extra cost.

Bethesda notes on its official blog that the map is made of "high grade material that has a feel similar to burlap," and will be available in North America and Europe.

A paper map will be included in all copies for every platform.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Mmm I was gonna say "if it's a paper map they can stick it up their ass", but apparently it's some sort of cloth, if I have to believe that second sentence. ;)

Interesting. Prolly not enough tho. With Bethesda you can usually get their games after like a year WITH all the DLC on a sale, and with access to all the great mods that have appeared by then. So...at the certain risk of Satis calling me a cheap belgian whore, I may be smart and wait it out for a loooong time. Well...unless it turns out to be the second coming of gaming jesus, perhaps.

- Coach

Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:18 pm
Minor Diety

Screw waiting. This is one game I want the collectors edition of AND probably the GotY. I have Oblivion CE, both expansions AND the GotY on PC... call me a freak but it'll be worth it

Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:57 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

yea, I hear you. Despite people hating on Oblivion, I really liked the game, almost as much as I liked Morrowind. I'm of high hopes that V will be better.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I don't care if this is £129.99 I'm buying it

http://www.gametrailers.com/news/skyrim ... ition/3710

Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

lol @ the statue. though I really can't talk, since bought a game with a statue of Darth Malgus.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next