It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Morrowind - Freeman 
Emperor

When I go for a war simulator, I take Flanker. (somewhat outdated today)

Nice thing is that it allows recording missions as video, and later you can even setup cameras to get a perfect movie. I'd have lots of tales there to tell.. once I had to destroy an Ukrainian runway (actually invaded by Turks). First I Was flying on about 20-30m height, floating over the ground, to avoid radars. While doing so, I had also to put the plane straight in the vector of the runway, or I would be unable to destroy it completely. While I was approaching few Su-25s have taken down the last radar signal, and I was watching smoke rising from the base. Only artillery has remained. About 1km before the runway Tunguskas opened fire on me. I had to rise airplane anyway so I went higher to drop the bombs. I evaded few canon rays but one went over me. No vital damage. Before I destroyed the runway, two MiG-29 have taken off. And two MiG-23 were in the air already, (mostly) unsuccessfully chasing Su-25s. I got them all on my tail.

Whole 8-minute chase has started. They fired on me everything they had. Thanks to the high speed, ECM and chaffs I've lost only one engine and some other systems. I still could land, control the plane and the radar was intact. Then it was time for my backup. We came in range of a Russian MiG-31, that took down both MiGs-23 and a MiG-29, and apparently ran out of long-range missiles. Since I guessed only IC-guided missiles (R-73) remained on MiG-29, I decided to turn around and use both my R-77s on it. Those 15 seconds were one of the most thrilling moments. I got the bastard down before it fired something at me, returned home and landed safely with only one engine. The airplane must've been smokin`. :twisted:

Still, DF series are my choice for land troops stuff. Freedom of movement is the keyword.

Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:31 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

The only thing I will be visiting Morrowind for is to continue on my false Nerevarine's storyline. :P Consider it settled for me beside that.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

Quote:
Daggerfall had numerous software bugs in its initial release, to the point that it was theoretically impossible to complete the main story in the original retail version. Even after numerous patches, including a special patch that adds extra items released by CompUSA, many issues were still left unsolved.

Haha, and I intended to play it. No thanks, it seems those guys just can't make a bug-free game. Alright, I never expect perfection to come out, but being unable to complete the main story should suggest something went terribly bad in there. :)

Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I still think you should play it. :P You just need 5-6 different savegames at all times to make sure you don't run into any unfixable bugs, or just to be on the safe side if one of your savegames goes corrupt. ;)

Seriously though, I don't think I would replay it. I loved Daggerfall and spent soooo many hours in it, but like with morrowind I think the initial grinding would get me down. :( The first few times you do it in any game are cool, if the game rocks. But after that...

I do miss the short clips you got to see when you were afflicted with lycantrophy/vampirism, though. Any idea where we can find them? :) They don't seem to be on youtube...I can remember how the lycantrophy one goes..."you dream of the moon, and of a man who is less than a man". The vampire one has you dreaming of a pretty young girl who cries tears of blood. Kinda creepy, actually.

EDIT: from a Daggerfall FAQ

Quote:
1.4: What's great about being a lycanthrope?
Your Strength, Agility, Endurance and Speed all go up 40 pts! Stealth, critical strike, swimming, jumping, climbing, running and hand-to-hand skills each go up 30 pts. This carries over into your human form too. In lycanthrope form you are immune to iron and steel (not in human form). Guards use steel weapons to attack you even if they carry better stuff, so you are immune to guards! Also, whatever crimes you do while in were form is NOT associated with your human form, so won't damage your reputation. Finally, transformation will heal any wounds.

1.5: What's bad about being a lycanthrope?
You have to kill an innocent every month. Also, during full moon, you will automatically change into a werecritter. In this form you cannot access your inventory. You can change back into human form, but only for a few seconds. If you try to pilfer a corpse while in were form, all the items will break so it will be empty if you later access it in human form. And every few months, some very determined lycanthrope hunters will come after you. Beware their arrows! Finally, if you make it into the higher levels, you will probably feel too powerful with the stat boost. This is the most common argument for exiting werewolf status.
Be aware that some of the downsides can be remedied with Hircine's Shield/Ring.

- Coach

Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:04 am
Emperor

The first few times you do it in any game are cool, if the game rocks. But after that...

Oh, come on, I completed BG1 like 50+ times and would do it further if I had time for that. ;)

Btw, it seems like Daggerfall has some really powerful monsters.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:50 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

It does. Werewolves are actually pretty easy, if you have silver or better on you. But they are 'dangerous' because they also appear in civilized area, on rare occasions even inside cities. I remember picking a lock on a weapons' store in some town at night, when I suddenly got bitch-slapped from behind...turning around, I was faced with a werewolf. Scared the crap out of me!

Most dangerous opponents are vampire ancients, dragonlings, daedra lords and ancient lichs. For the vampire and lich I even used to make special reflect/absorb rings at the mages' guild to survive their initial 'blast'. i was an archmage and they could still one-shot me with spells if they got lucky. :( Thankgod they weren't very strong physically.

Daedra lords...cast strong magic AND could kick your ass in melee.

ancient lich and vampire:

- Coach

Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:21 am
Emperor

It's all very interesting, but I think I will start working on my own game in the future, should I find a tiniest bit of free time.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:56 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

If you find the time to play it, give it a try. Gotta warn you though, it doesn't hold your hand like Oblivion does, but I don't expect that to be a problem. :)

Daggerfall is much bigger and more ambitious than Morrowind and Oblivion combined. This leads to some annoying downsides, true, like repetitive quests and a lot of bugs, but it also gives you an unparallelled feeling of freedom.

Because Daggerfall spans over the whole of the Illiac bay and a multitude of kingdoms, you could even lend a sum of money from a bank in some remote kingdom and never repay the loan. :P of course, the amount of money you could lend was in direct proportion with your existing wealth/status, just like IRL. And if you ever set foot in that kingdom again they will prosecute you for fraud and throw you in jail for a looooong time. :roll: Oh and you can buy a horse, a cart for the horse, a ship, a house....all in seperate sizes/models.

Daggerfall is like a raw diamond. :bow:

- Coach

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:56 am
Emperor

Daggerfall is like a raw diamond. :bow:

How about making a brushed one? I was serious about starting something I'd like to play in the first place. I talked enough about my likes here yet, you figure out the rest. ;)

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:59 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

New message, just to ping you. You remember the narbacular drop? I think they wouldn't sue you for introducing a spell that works like the main attribute of their game. ;)

Btw, while I 'worked on my own', I developed some very spicy algorithms for reducing complexity of rendering huge urban areas, and clipping. That stuff might be something new or not (I will have to join and participate at SIGGRAPH to see it) but I think I can yet render urban areas of virtually infinite size without having problems. It would be even able to customize for the mech it is running on. The thing I dislike about Oblivion and Morrowind is that the cities (and city areas?) are just too small. Loading between parts of the city and overall loading in Morrowind just booores.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:14 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, in Daggerfall that problem didn't exist. everything just smoothly ran into each other. Technically speaking, you could walk all around the Illiac bay on foot through the wilderness without a loading screen. But that would take days, in-game. That's why fast-travel was NECESSARY in Daggerfall (unlike Oblivion). Morrowind did well on the middle ground with the stilt riders and mages guilds (in Daggerfall, only high-ranking members of the mages guild can make use of their teleporting services).

But I guess your algorythm applies to modern engines, not the SVGA bitmap world of Daggerfall. :roll: Did you ever test it?

- Coach

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:55 am
Emperor

But I guess your algorythm applies to modern engines, not the SVGA bitmap world of Daggerfall. :roll: Did you ever test it?

Everything I speak of was tested several years ago on the machines with much less power than the one I have today. I also developed trigonometric functions that worked about 50 times faster than inbuilt ones. Why did I freakin` need that? One of the things I worked on (Satis would recall I believe) is FOV = 360° (x 180° on the vertical) where a programmer basically is on no-man's-land, and has to implement everything from the lowest to the highest level, just like in a software render. Faster trigonometry made it all much more convenient for real time playing. :)

Just wait and see. Once it starts, expansion will be fast. The graphics won't be too promising in the beginning, but I will leave that pretty easily extensible, so it will be easy to update it as I learn how to implement the fancy stuff properly.

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:05 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

I bet you guys didn't see yet how I put Caius' room in order.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Gfree, you're the king of obsessive compulsiveness. :) :wink:

- Coach

Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:38 am
Emperor

Obsessive home decorator? :wink: Haven't I posted here how my working environment looks like? Alright, I will do it tomorrow perhaps. Today I have 12h more to spend on the Uni + some monkey stuff.

Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3