It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
HDR vs AA 
Emperor

Post HDR vs AA
I think we should share what each of us preferred. :) And discuss the matter more closely, if possible.

Here, all 8x AA + Bloom still looks less vivid than HDR. Even inside the buildings. The reason may lie in my graphic card: nVidia GeForce 8600M GT.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:08 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

HDR all the way. I experimented with it for the first time in HL2, and GOD did it make a difference. Bloom is just...lame. :)

- Coach

Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:05 am
Emperor

From comments on some other forums I got impression nobody uses HDR, while here it just looked better than all other stuff together. That's why I ask. :)

Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Given the option, I'd definitely use HDR over bloom. It looks a lot better. HDR can simulate me going blind... it really feels like being blinded. Bloom is just fake filler. It doesn't compare.

That Might & Magic FPS (whatever it was called), though largely forgettable, the HDR was implemented very well. It looked really good and made the game more immersive. If only the game had been better.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

HDR can simulate me going blind

To some extent, but not quite. You remember that a strong light leaves tracks in your sight for a time, just like phosphor (relates to phosphodiesterase that the eye uses for gathering light) glows after being exposed to light. So, that's one thing that's been missed.

Also, if you've been watching directly into the Sun for a longer time, you might get permanent blind spots or get totally blind. So, that's idea for another disease to be cured: blindness. However it should not be done in a sort of chapel and not for free. Curing this might be quite an interesting quest. :) Meet a saint? Being sent to another dimension, to accomplish some dirty work? And you get your sight back in advance? Maybe. :)

A finesse is also eye's adaption to the overall environment brightness. You know.. you spend hours in a dark room, and then you go out and just fail to absorb all that blinding vibrance. Your iris must first adapt i.e. close the window through the lens. Then you do not feel outside light hurtful anymore. Vice versa, when you get in from inside, you need your receptors to "cool down" before you can finely see in dark. One more thing, I'm not sure whether that's done in Oblivion or not. The only receptors that remain active in the dark allow you to see only black/white image, so some dynamic desaturation shall be also considered.

I'd just love to run or be involved to projects that simulate all this stuff. I remember games who simulate high adrenaline in blood through somewhat blurred sight. That's also a detail that's not present in Oblivion.

p.s.
Excuse me, this is just a very large topic. Would you like playing with different air pressures? :) Like being sucked from one chamber to another. Or from a space station to the open space? And even sound effects that happen in the process? That might be just interesting work.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:17 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:04 am
Felix Rex

I agree, I think using sound and graphics to simulate physical effects is awesome. The idea of being sucked into a vacuum is great... have you 'vision' slowly tunnel red and make it kinda throb. I think that would be very interesting.

COD4 actually does a decent job of simulating damage when you get hit. Your guy starts breathing real heavy and your vision does the red tunnel thing. I don't think it throbs, though.

The idea of trailers (phosphors, I guess) is a good idea and quite doable. Blindness would be difficult....mmmm...unless you could maybe have a black screen and as you get near objects (and run into them) the edges show up as white outlines? So you could see the edge of a table you walked into, or a solid sheet of white representing a wall. :) That'd probably get annoying pretty quick but it'd be a neat gimmick for a short level.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Emperor

Blindness would be difficult....mmmm...unless you could maybe have a black screen and as you get near objects (and run into them) the edges show up as white outlines? So you could see the edge of a table you walked into, or a solid sheet of white representing a wall. :) That'd probably get annoying pretty quick but it'd be a neat gimmick for a short level.

Without getting hurt or falling on stumbling on things there is no much of real feeling of blindness. And why pure black screen? Imagine how it would look like if lights with HDR were too strong. You'd see almost noting but just a "blinding" white screen. Try to do the same with darkness. Just in the moment you start wondering how will you play any further, you be contacted by a sect who can cure your eyes, but need services in return.

One more. Try to stare long in one point. When you move sight, you will see that the shades of what you was previously looking at remained for a while. The thing would damn freak out anybody who didn't press pause button while going to take some pizza or whatever. :)

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]