It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Oblivion - Satis 
Minor Diety

I'm reading, not playing. Why? Coz the save files are incredibly gay; seems now i've completed with one char and got another a long way through db quests its become stupidly laggy, so every time I try playing I get pissed off at it.

Sun May 14, 2006 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

really? Mine's not laggy. And I have nearly 600 saves. I'll take a screenie sometime if you wanna see. :) Can't you just delete your unneeded saves?

They're under C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves

Sun May 14, 2006 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Man, my pc is being a bastard, so I can't play. If I coul, I would tho. :(

I can help you out on the huge black soulgem, in any case.

Quote:
Mannimarco -the King of Worms if you will- has the power to steal your soul and turn you into one of his zombie minions. It's what he does with a poor bugger somewhere down the mages' guid quest line iirc. Archmage Traven, a powerful soul, knows this and sacrifices himself so that his soul is captured into the colossal black soulgem. This soulgem protects you from the King of Worms' attempts to steal your soul. The power of your and Traven's souls combined is too great for even him to overcome just like that. (also Arkay is supposed to protect humans from having their soul stolen -so the KoW must have already been strong to be able to steal most souls) According to some ppl he looks fairly weak because you are protected by the black soul gem and he loses already his most powerful trait. but there are other theories, because the KoW of yonder is supposed to be extremely powerful, and prefers sutbtle work over random zombie rushing. (in Daggerfall for example, the KoW was pretty much puppeteering all the important political figures of the bay to get what he wanted - without drawing too much attention on himself. His goals are personal, not some irrational attempt to "conquer the world!")

One of them is the Warp of the West..it's a complicated matter really. Comes down to it that at the end of Daggerfall the player had 7 choices to deliver a crucial game item too. Those varied from a few political figures, the Underking, the KoW, etc. If you gave it to the KoW he ascended to Godhood (already being a powerful necromancer). Anyway...most of the choices you made heavily imbalanced the situation in the West (High rock, Hammerfell) so through machinations I will not go into here there happened something called "the Warp of the West". What it comes down to is that all 7 scenario's happened, and yet, they didn't. No one really exactly understands what or how happened :P But suffice to say that balance was restored and the West grew to be propsperous again. So, how does this connect to the Kow? Well, because of the Warp of the West it's thought that he both ascended to godhood (reached his goal) and stayed as a mortal on Nirn (didn't reach his goal). So, creating both a God of Worms and a King of Worms. This would make sense as the black soul gems can only be created when they are enchanted when under a certain shine at night, as you will remember. This means the necromancer 'movement' has the support of something divine. In this scenario the King of Worms you fight is 'just' the physical representation of the KoW, a byproduct of the Warp of the West. This could explain his relative weakness, because the KoW we all know from earlier games and lore was a badass mothafucka. :)

That's one explanation. The other is that this Mannimarco isn't the king of Worms but a puppet. In Oblivion he is a high elf, while in Daggerfall he seems to be human-ish. (you can only see his hands, he's wearing robes and a cape) And indeed, even without his ability to steal your soul one would expect more of a fight from the fabled King of Worms. He sure has skillz, but he just doesn't fit the picture. He's really easy to find, he's not very powerful, doesn't really do subtle schemes or doesn't seem to be pulling many strings. :( The only thing that really 'fits' is that he possesses the Staff of Worms, one of the few artifacts left that belong(ed) to the KoW.

I personally think it's a pretender. It just doesn't make sense that bethesda would rape the lore as much as they do now. Kill the king of worms, puh-lease. Even the Gods themselves can't kill him (they often fiercely dislike necromancy), let alone you or I. I should read up on the Warp of the West and necromancy lore I suppose. Maybe i could come to a better conclusion. But I hope it was a fun read...the King of Worms is one of the cooler parts of TES lore. Kinda like the Underking, but that's a story for another time. ;)

- Coach

Mon May 15, 2006 3:20 am
Minor Diety

I barely have any saves, thats the problem. I've got 2 for pevil and 2 for my thief, plus quick and auto. It's ok in most areas, just not if i go somewhere 'flower-heavy'. Not to mention the occassional 'loading area' crashes forcing me to fast travel are really pissing me off. I'm gonna play the 360 version for a bit, get the achievements on there. Once the pc patch comes out then I'll go back to the pc one.

Mon May 15, 2006 4:33 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

there's a beta patch available right now.

As for the lag...flowers lag me too. Grass and whatnot. So I turned it off. :( Ruins some prettiness, but hey, what can you do. This game is amazingly cool and pretty.

Man, what a friggin' Monday.

Mon May 15, 2006 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol well it used to run fine through flowers so i refuse to change my settings ;) I won't bother with the patch til its a proper one; they're not exactly the worlds greatest at making stable patches so I'm not risking it.

Mon May 15, 2006 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

you'd rather not play the game then turn grass off? :roll:

Anyway, I'm starting to get a bit burned out. I think I may take a bit of a break with SiN or something. What's sad is there's still SO much to do.

Mon May 15, 2006 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol not really, but 1. there's no reason to have to suddenly change my settings and 2. i've got 2 other games i'm more interested in right now ;)

Tue May 16, 2006 2:47 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

you'd rather not play the game then turn grass off? :roll:

Anyway, I'm starting to get a bit burned out. I think I may take a bit of a break with SiN or something. What's sad is there's still SO much to do.

Heh, don't feel bad about it...Oblivion is one of those games that won't disappear from your harddrive in a year or two anyway. ;)

- Coach

Wed May 17, 2006 4:12 am
Felix Rex

I'm still playing. I can't stop. :p I'm getting along in the thieves' guild...finally met the gray fox and started doing missions. hehe. The fence stuff is dumb...you know, you have to sell so much crap to a fence in order to progress...but the numbers are so low it's pointless.

I like how they spin their fiction together, though. I read some portion of a pamphlet ro something somewhere that talked about nocturnal yapping with someone. Right at the end of the fragment, she says something along the lines of "where's my hood?". Then that gets spun into the 'real world'. Really cool.

Wed May 17, 2006 8:09 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, I had that happen a few times too. In Daggerfall I used a 'regular' book (could get it in bookstores, find it, anything) to know the exact dates of all the Daedra princes' appearances so that I could summon them in the mages guild. If you summoned on a wrong date you'd piss them off and just get attacked by two bad-ass daedra. :( I thinkt the book was called 'The Invocation of Azura'.

It just felt really cool to come in the mages guild during a stormy and rainy night and start invoking the daedra princes...good stuff.

The entire lore of the TES is pretty good, but in the course of the years beth has been contradicting itself a bit which is never good. The Warp of the West (the outcome of the Dragon Break) is one of those work-around things. :roll:

I agree that the fence thing is way stupid. If you fence 10 items worth 200 gold to Ongar you're pretty much settled for the rest of the questline. :roll: Not really a challenge. But the thieves guild has some nice quests...not as nice as the DB, however. :twisted:

And yes...the uber staff from the mages guild is truly uber. ;) Only works on humanoids tho. :(

- Coach

Thu May 18, 2006 3:42 am
Felix Rex

yea, I've still got a bit to go, I think. The DB quest was awesome... the statue at the end in it's 'evil' configuration is just amazing. :) I'm just sad it's all over with. Now I just get a paltry sum once a week.

Thu May 18, 2006 7:38 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeha, I was kinda bummed as well. There's no doubt in my mind that the Db will be worked out even better by modders though.

Still, even after wrapping up the quest line it's cool to hear the whispers of the night mother. ;) I used to skulk around Bravil at night and often saw the Bosmer standing near the statue at night with a torch. I always wondered wtf he was doing there; he usually told me to get lost.

Then when i returend for the DB later...you know the rest. ;) Pretty awesome that it's all so...real. You know? Ppl would be wondering about you too if you were paying visits to the statue at night... ;)

Oh and the Black Hand robes are just plain cool.

- Coach

Thu May 18, 2006 11:18 am
Felix Rex

yea, they're pretty cool. I'm collecting nice clothes and whatnot for enchantment purposes. I plan on getting a full suit of wisdom. From what I calculate, I should be able to get +80 wisdom or thereabouts. I wanna see what my magicka regen is like with 180 wisdom. :p

Right now I'm looking for a skirt to match my blue silk top and a hood. Gloves too, if there are any, but I don't think there are. Wish there were belts, too. :(

Thu May 18, 2006 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Aren't the effects of all primary stats capped at 100 or 110 or something? :(

And can't help you on the skirt or the gloves man....maybe you could check the Construction Set just to have a look if they even exist in-game. Could spare you some trouble. ;)

- Coach

Thu May 18, 2006 12:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next