It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next
Oblivion 
Minor Diety

- Coach

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Minor Diety

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:42 pm
Minor Diety

yay, though as said, europe will be a few days later, hence friday 24th march. its possible it could come out on the 20th but i very much doubt it; in 2 years only 2 games have been released on a day other than a friday; GTA:SA and Halo 2. Whilst Oblivion will be huge, no doubt, it's highly unlikely it'll be THAT big.

But anyway, good to know its basically confirmed for that week. Thanks derf!

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Whilst Oblivion will be huge, no doubt, it's highly unlikely it'll be THAT big.

:o Blasphemer!

Maybe youre right though.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:26 pm
Felix Rex

yea, official ship date is the 20th. It's on the elder scrolls main page, too, so no doubt it's real.

But, if it's shipping the 20th, it'll take a day or two to actually get to stores (at least in the US). So I'll probably be getting it the 21st or 22nd. Still, it's nice.... I'd half convinced myself that the game was going to be delayed again.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

yeah it'll be big.. amongst hardcore rpgers. Your 'normal' gamer wont give a shit (the fps/sport types).

anyway just read a few cool and disappointing things in one thread here:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=186541

Thing that sounds crappiest to me (seriously i think this sucks big time, step backwards from morrowind):

Borders: Borders are invisible walls that prevent you from going beyond the edges of Cyrodiil. These borders will be comprised of natural boundaries (i.e. rivers, mountains, etc.) and other times will just be unnoticeable invisible barriers blocking your path with a message telling you to ‘go back’. Additional Note: You’ll still be able to see ‘beyond’ the borders so you don’t feel awkward about them.

WTF are they thinking? I know it aint an island but thats pathetic.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Definately a down thing. But what solution would you have in mind Pev?

Im trying to give myself assurance that theyve done a good job in minimising the shittyness of this.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:39 pm
Minor Diety

I dunno, I guess I just expected better from Bethesda. A crappy "ooooh turn back now" thing just... bleh. I'd accept mountains that were exceptionally craggy. Rivers... well I suppose I can accept if they seem especially rough and have sharp rocks, so no one in their right mind would try to swim them. Mole came up with a decent one; have customs points as such, and I just expanded on that a second ago; Cyrodil is being invaded by daemons from Oblivion. Quite simply, they don't want anyone getting out of Cyrodil in case the daemons get out, so borders would be heavily guarded with no one allowed out.

Like I say, I just expected more of them. Random invisible walls in games always suck, but from a company who can think up such a huge amount of lore for a game, taking the easy way out just... well... sucks :P

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I made the suggestion you could havem mostly walls etc - with the odd "customs" gate, which would allow for expansions.

EDIT: Pev posted it first. I got ninja'd good an' true.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Those would be better, i agree. But as you said Pev "easy-way-out", i kinda was expecting this approach ever since they cut out Spears and Crossbows for no good reason at all.

Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:19 am
Minor Diety

lol true. There's some things in those lists that make me think it's still gonna be the best ever, and some things that i think will really suck. I'm sure I'll still love the game though ;)

Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:43 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

It seems like a fairly good option to me...they had something similar in Daggerfall iirc. You could wander away into the "nothingness" for hours, and you'd never "really" bump into a barrier, just continue into endlessly generated territory. Until you realized the suckness and turned back, obviously. :roll:

I'm just saying: I don't think there are many other esthetic options for this. Mole's wall is good, but technically speaking you should be able to crawl over the wall when you feel like it, or jump it if you have good acrobatics. You know? it's never gonna be quite real. :)

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that none of us is gonna really counter the edges anyway. If their indications of the world size are only half true, it's MASSIVE. Do you remember meeting the "edge" in Morrowind? I don't!
And this one's even bigger ;)

In daggerfall, being even bigger, it was never an issue. You just didn't have the time to walk to the edges. :lol:

- Coach

Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:22 am
Minor Diety

Jump over walls?... Perhaps you're understanding of "wall" is somewhat inferior. But i understand, judging from your geographical location - perhaps youve only ever seen shoddily built primitive celtic-germanic palisades constructed by inbred tribesmen from Belgica around from the first century AD, and not seen mighty Roman walls that would clearly be too tall for any man to climb, let alone jump. :lol: You know the Wall Of China? The Romans built that too. The chinese just served as labour.

Also, you say that we dont really use edges, well i do for exploring. Solstheim for example, i would just run a spiral around the coast just to get my self familiar.

Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:50 am
Minor Diety

lol ox, you dont reach the edge in morrowind because like you say about daggerfall, you can just run for miles... but in this case you swim out in unpopulated water.

Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

BTW, has any of you preordered it, and if so, where?

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next