It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 4:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
IWD2: my thoughts 
Minor Diety

Post IWD2: my thoughts
I`ve only played the game once this far, just finished it. Now i just feel like posting my thoughts about it. If you don`t like it: shut up :P

First: nice game. I had a lot of fun playing it. No need for flashy 3D surroundings for me, just give me the good old stuff and i`m happy :wink: . I had some very though fights, final battle was no disappointement, wasn`t particularly though but i had to retry a couple of times. Mainly because i hadn`t noticed some guy at first who was hiding and summoning high lvl creatures faster then i could kill them.

The weapon distribution was a bit poor if you ask me, it took a long time untill i got my hands on some decent weapons, and in the end suddenly i was drowning in superweapons.

It was my first 3th edition game and i liked it, in the beginning i made some mistakes in choosing my feats and such but overall it was a good experience.

A big improvement over IWD and BG was the possibility to equip a bow and still have a longsword and shield ready (just an example), being able to switch weapons with a simple mouse-click: very good idea.

In the end i still had 4 potionbags full with potions, 4 scrollcases with all kinds of spells, and about 15 rings i might use. So i might try put them to a use a bit faster if i play it again. It`s also kinda frustrating that you can`t do much with all the money you make. During the whole game, i bought every weapon/item that could prove usefull and in the end i still had more then half a million of gold. :roll:

Thoughest fight btw was when i performed the illmater ritual near the end of the game: it got interupted by the statue and then i seemed unable to hit the guy decently. In the end i prevailed by digging up a wand of lighting somewhere to finally kill the bastard. Only with electrical damage i seemed to be able to hurt him :? . I wonder if i missed something there.

Oh and why the fuck must the best weapon in the game ALWAYS be a stupid paladin-only weapon. :x

More rantings might be expected in the future.

~King of Thieves~

Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:46 pm
Minor Diety

Hehe...you didn't miss something there J, Xvim's avatar is practically immune to everything but lightning damage. :) He's a tough bastard yeah, you don't wanna imagine what he's like in Heart Of Fury mode. :o

The summoner hehe, yeah; suddenly these monsters keep popping in and you've got no idea where they're coming from until you accidentally stumble in the next room. :) Thankgod you got that SUPER monk to help you; that dude was amazing; he was practically unhitteable and kicked the living shit out of the opposition.

- Coach

Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:45 am
Minor Diety

I bought this game because i thoroughly enjoyed the BG series and i knew that if i played IWD then i knew i wouldnt be let down.

However i never managed to complete either IWD1 or IWD2 and this was because of several reasons.

I found that walking around killing things was a bit repetitve after a while. I also found out that the interface was old and annoying to use. Such as the weapon selection function on the quickbar or whatever you want to call it.

Other than that, it was very very frustrating. D&D 3rd ED is flawed. It is flawed in that there is no real way of knowing how to kill special things without learning the rules such as THAC0 and all that crap.

I found it annoying that certain creatures could completely endure a type of damage.

Whats more, i eventually found an obsession for levelling up. Rather than take on a quest logiacally and fairly, i would always think about the easiest way to level up. There is too much emphasis on this i think in D&D.

As you guys know, i think D&D is a dated system for RPG's. It relies on board game concepts that are quickly becoming ugly to adopt in modern RPG's.

The world needs a new RPG. Not Morrowind, that was complete trash.

Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:04 pm
Minor Diety

Not Morrowind, that was complete trash.

blasphemer! :shock: :evil:

But D&D idd is a bit dated...but doesn't stop me from liking it. :)

- Coach

Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:06 pm
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
don't forget that version 3.5 is here now, maybe that system would translate better into a crpg.

Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:33 am
Minor Diety

Perhaps. But the very fact that you may have to learn it, is a downer.

Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]