It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Project Eternity 
Minor Diety

Post Project Eternity
I know we're not big on kickstarter projects around CK, but this one is worth mentioning...Obsidian, not exactly a small-time studio, is kickstarting their new IP fantasy RPG (isometric) for a cool 1.1 million. It's been up for less than a day and up to 250k already.

It's a very exciting idea to play an old-school RPG made by guys like Sawyer, Avellone, Cain and Urquheart. In fact it's pretty much a wet dream. So I'll be keeping a reeeeaaal close eye on this. Kickstarter will allow them to not have to worry about the BS meddling of a major publisher that wants the game to appeal to everyone and their mom and thus keep out any mature themes or 'edge' design choices. I'm not sure if I want to blow 20 bucks on it, but it sure is tempting.

Too bad the pitch video is more of a wank job on how awesome the guys on the team are (they are, but even so...) than saying much about the game itself, but eh.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obs ... t-eternity

- Coach

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Minor Diety

Post Re: Project Eternity
1.9 million in about a week...yeah I think this will happen. :)

- Coach

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:39 pm
Felix Rex

Well, if their goal was 1.1 million and they got 1.9 million in a week, it better freaking happen.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Update on Project Eternity: 3 days to go and at 2.9 million

They've been adding more and more stretch goals, in the shape of extra classes, the addition of crafting and enchanting, game modes, races, dungeons, taking the writer of Mask of the Betrayer on board, and so forth. The kickstarter is currently nearing the tier of a player stronghold (at 3 million) and at 3.5 million an additional "BIG city" will be added - like if BG2 had a second Athkatla or something like that. :)

They've also got a sort of counter-within-the-counter thing running where they add another level to their mega-dungeon according to the amount of backers (not money raised) they get. It's currently 7 levels deep and looks something like this

Knowing the rush at the end of each kickstarter project it's not unilkely they will reach the 3.5 million when the project ends. And we will have a second big city. :)

And to top it off, they released a first screenshot. Obviously still mega super duper alpha but they're using Unity so the world-building can go relatively fast, as fast as the artists and designers can work pretty much. It looks very old-school IE, and I am very happy with it. 8-) May even up my pledge if I can fit it into my budget...

- Coach

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:48 am
Felix Rex

What I'm looking forward to is when these Kickstarter projects start actually being finished and coming out as purchasable product. It's not that I doubt their intentions, but making something like this is hard. Also, all the additional stuff they keep adding is also adding development time and complexity, which makes bug hunting harder. I'm betting this thing takes 4+ years to get out the door, assuming they can keep their momentum going, and it may be buggy as hell if and when it does come out.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:02 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Might have to keep an eye on this. I'm also curious about these Kickstarter projects. I did see part of one at the Discworld Convention - an Aussie company who were already working on making "Troll Bridge" into a short film decided to go to Kickstarter to get more cash (and got a hell of a lot more than they needed as most of these things seem to do) and they sent us some footage and interviews to the convention as a thank you. It was looking pretty impressive and is the only thing I've actually seen come out of a Kickstarter yet. So fingers crossed.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/obsidian ... ds/0104601

Most successful game on Kickstarter so far

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yep. :D A whopping 4.1 million collected over 30 days, reaching pretty much every stretch goal they put out. The second big city (think Athkatla) is in too!

They actually reached over 4 million cause they also got around 150k through paypal, so also met the 4m goal (which seemed half for fun anyway).

And with the surge of backers, the megadungeon is now going to be 14 (!) levels, with a likely 15h coming.

Anyway, good stuff. Gonna be ages before we see the game though, so not gonna be keeping too closely an eye on it.

- Coach

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:43 am
Minor Diety

Obsidian showed the first video of a (small area) with all the animations and effects like they will have in the final game. Looks really good!

- Coach

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:06 am
Minor Diety

That is pretty impressive. Love the guys sense of humour too and was extra happy to hear recycled sound effects from BG/IWD!

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Screenshot of a 'vertical slice' of a dungeon in PE. Boner growing ever so slightly.

- Coach

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:04 am
Minor Diety

Slightly? Mines pretty damn huge right now after that! Looks like it's taken straight out of a Baldurs Gate game.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:43 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah it does. Like a more detailed, higher-res Baldur's Gate with more graphical bells and whistles. *spunks* :twisted:

- Coach

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:42 am
Minor Diety

That's what it's all about!

You can just feel the game with that 1 screenshot!

What's around the corner? Who knows?
Shall I send a thief around to have a quick poke and see?
Shall I make him hide and sneak around?
Shall I charge in my fighters and bear the brunt of anything that'll come my way?
Shall I pile in my whole party, and risk stumbling on an area effect trap?
How much loot will I find?

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:56 am
Minor Diety

So...Obsidian just released a gameplay teaser for Project Eternity, and they also revealed the game will be called "Pillars of Eternity". think Derf may wet himself when he sees this shit...it's a glorious return to Infinity Engine form!

- Coach

Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next