It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Project Eternity 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Project Eternity
Just to be clear, this is an in-game item right? Not that it makes it any less cool. :D

I have to say, I don't get excited by many games anymore, but this one...look at this:

- Coach

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:41 pm
Minor Diety

Just in case it wasn't clear yet btw, the game went gold today and is only about 10 days from release.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03 ... -eternity/

Also, cool:

Quote:
One of my favourite things about what I’ve seen of the game is how it seems to cater to the player’s choices. Obsidian are trying to make the game equally enjoyable for every class, ability, race and playstyle, and that runs through to difficulty as well. Infinity Engine veterans are advised to play on normal difficulty but there are additional perma-death options, a single-save ironman mode and fully customisable settings for feedback and tips. Don’t want to see thresholds for skill checks? You can toggle that. The same goes for unqualified conversation options, area of effect visibility and much more.

- Coach

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:49 pm
Minor Diety

Hmph I thought it was tomorrow but next week is fine by me, I'm looking after a dog at the moment anyway so not home much to play in any case. That does look incredible though, so much like BG it's ridiculous.

Bring on the space piglets!

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I tried playing Baldur's Gate fairly recently. I can't do it. The graphics are terrible and the gameplay... omg. I was playing with Shiny. We were in Candlekeep. We walked about 30 feet, Shiny tried to pickpocket someone, he went aggro, and we all died. I had not saved. Game over. It brought into stark focus how badly BG's mechanics have aged. I mean, it's an amazing game and had an enormous influence on the evolution of gaming, especially RPG gaming, but I don't think I can play it again. I prefer modern games.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

There is a complete BG1 port to NWN2 engine. I played it about a year ago, was pretty ok but then again im pretty much the only one here who enjoys NWN2 :D.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:32 am
Minor Diety

Well downloading it now, won't get much time to play it this weekend but I'll try to get on it a bit and give my impressions, should get a good chance over Easter to properly give it a try

Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

The piglet is disappointing. It's not really giant OR miniature, it doesn't make a noise when you click on it and it's not so much glow in the dark as just... see through with a cool outline. Follows me around though in a comical fashion so it's ok.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha, I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment Pev. ;-) Yeah it doesn't squeak or oink, it's true.

I've started the game a few days ago and I have to say...it's pretty amazing so far. It absolutely feels like Baldur's Gate 2 spiritual succesor. It's deep, difficult (you really need to pause and strategize to not get your ass handed to you), well-polished with beautiful backgrounds and music. It also allows you to customize many aspects of the game rules to give you the best possible game experience tailored to your preferences. The combat and game systems are intricate but easy to understand (they're no longer based on D&D so make more sense) and you have a lot of help figuring them out. That doesn't mean the game holds your hand when it comes to the actual game experience, oh no. It's pretty tough. But because it gives you all the information you need to figure things out it's rarely frustrating. You will have to just decide to retreat and/or come back later for some fights and areas though, which was one of the biggest adjustments for me. But it's good.

I've picked up a few companions along the way and they've all been pretty distinct personalities, but I think I've only barely scratched the surface of the party interaction. A cool innovation are the beautifully drawn little vignettes that you will sometimes encounter. Like when you come across a statue and you will have a few choices on what to do, which are often determined by your stats (or lack thereof), but even certain items like a torch, grappling hook and whatnot you have in your inventoery (or certain NPC's and their skill).

Skill and background checks often occur in conversation as well, and the dialogue is generally very good. You can zoom in and out to great effect, maps are easy to navigate, you can have several weapon sets and switch between them - wizards can even switch between grimoires! (with cooldown of course) The lore is vibrant and so far has been fed to me quite naturally, but I like to sit back and read some of the fluff with a glass of wine anyway. The Journal and bestiary are ace too.

Long story short, even though I am not far in at all, I think it's safe to say 'BELIEVE THE HYPE'. The 90-95+ metacritic reviews are justified. This game is doing it. Wasteland 2 was good but rough around the edges, in terms of graphics, mechanics and whatnot. Pillars of Eternity is its better older brother. Buy this shit, play it, whatever. It's the second coming of the Infinity Engine. 8-) Also, they say "you must gather your party before venturing forth." :P

Here are some screenshots to show off the option screens, some of the bestiary/journal, inventory, my character creation and a random screenshot. Screenshot quality isn't always great, but rest assured, this game looks good.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Coach

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:51 am
Minor Diety

Rinox wrote:
Also, they say "you must gather your party before venturing forth." :P

SOLD!

I noticed you're playing a dwarf, big surprise. :wink:

~King of Thieves~

Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:43 am
Minor Diety

Yeah I do love it, I haven't played it beyond the first town you go to (Glimmersomething?) because I figured I should probably finish Inquisition before I get into another big, in-depth RPG but I love the feel of Pillars, it definitely feels like BG but as you say without the "confusing" D&D rules, it's still tough (I found the bear in the cave and got horribly mauled) and you can't just run in with swords flashing and hope to win everything. You also clearly have things that will actually change the way it plays each time (such as perma-death, people not joining parties etc) and I like the grimoire way of handling things as well, so you don't have to rest every time you want to swap in that one specific troll-killing spell just to swap your spells out. The maps look and feel like something from BG, the HUD is basically lifted from BG and tweaked mildly and the character customisation is pretty in-depth too. Also I love the in-game notepad so you can make notes such as "Bear in cave kicked my ass, come back to x at level 10". Also just like BG it has mostly spoken dialogue with the odd few lines in a conversation that for some reason aren't spoken at all. Yay for weird bugs/old habits?

My piglet is banished. I now have a black doggy following me.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

For J:

:)

Still playing this. A few hours in, reached the first big city, absolutely adoring it. Come home, finish chores, relax, bottle of wine, dimmed lights and just enjoying the look and feel of the game. Must-buy guys. :)

P.S. Like you I changed the piglet for the dog from the tavern Pev. Piglet was a bit too "out there".

- Coach

Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:32 pm
Minor Diety

Phwoar! I tell you what, those screenshots are awfully tempting like nothing else before for bringing me back into a game :) they've really nailed it and you can see these guys have good intentions. The inventory screen and green circles do it for me.

Lol @ dual wielding spears :)

Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:16 am
Minor Diety

Just for the record, those are the 'standard' weapons for that particular class/race/background in the character creation screen. :P I didn't pick those.

I fight with one weapon + shield, as I always do. Preferrably a blunt weapon of some sort, like a flair, mace or warhammer.

- Coach

Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:24 am
Minor Diety

More screenshots...still going along in the game. Still great. :) Been focusing on getting deeper in the 15-level megadungeon lately. Good old-fashioned dungeoneering. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Coach

Mon May 04, 2015 7:09 am
Minor Diety

More pics! Finished the game by now btw. Absolutely loved it. :) It's no BG2, there are some flaws and little annoying niggles, but I hope and expect them to work them out for the expansions or sequel. Kinda like with the Shadowrun kickstarter: the basic game was good, but not great, but the expansion Dragonfall (once they mastered the engine and tweaked the systems) was superb. Fingers crossed! Anyway, you guys should play this game. The end.

- Coach

Mon May 18, 2015 4:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next