It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Deux Ex: Human Revolution 
Stranger

Post Re: Deux Ex: Human Revolution
Did you guys meet Alex Murphy at the police station? Two guys are trying to remember the name of the movie from the eighties and one guy is named Alex Murphy.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:54 pm
Minor Diety

I did hear them talk about Robocop, but I didn't notice his name was Alex Murphy. :)

A little further along in the game and still not killed anyone (there is that boss fight but hey). Slight spoiler:
just landed in Montréal

I'm getting pretty pimped out on augs by now, being pretty much invisible, almost impossible to get a drop on (augmented vision) and capable of hacking all but the highest levels. Also hauling along a stun gun, tranquilizer rifle and pimped out shotgun...the latter is 'just in case'. I learned from the first boss fight. :roll:

The stealthing, once you get the hang of it, feels amazing. Probably the best I've played in years.

- Coach

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:42 am
Stranger

You might want to bring a PEPS along for the next fight.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:00 am
Minor Diety

Why? what does it do specifically?

- Coach

Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:08 pm
Stranger

Well the macho from the first fight laughed at PEPS but in this fight it actually helps.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:00 am
Felix Rex

I found PEPS to be completely worthless. Is it not in some situations? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Well i see you both beat the mantis so yeah its helpful in that particular fight. It roots her in place for a second or two just enough to catch up with her and put quite a many bullets in that pretty half shaven head. I must confess though that in my game it broke her AI and she just stood there with her arms open while i emptied my assault rifle into her head.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:20 pm
Felix Rex

I had an immunity to electricity by that point, so the damage I took wasn't too horribly bad. I just filled her full of holes when she appeared and otherwise ran around the room's outside perimeter. I think I had to eat some pills from time to time, but overall much easier than the first battle.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I just finished the game. :)

It's a great, great game - easily one of the best AAA games I've played, also in terms of keeping a balance between good gameplay and lots of polish but also not insulting your intelligence. It actually tries to make you feel and think, and bombards you with impulses and information. It's pretty glorious. I really hope for the team and eidos that the game sells like crazy, since if this is the standard we're going for...then yes please, more more more! Playing the game felt like a mix of watching a great movie and living a cyberpunk novel. Superb.

However, I had some issues with the game...nothing that could make me say that it doesn't deserve a status as a 'great' game, but stuff that did bug me a lot. Stand outs are the boss battles. Not playing a combat-based character at all, I suddenly got pushed into situations where I could do nothing but load, reload, reload, reload since I would get one-shotted by most of them. The first two weren't too bad,
but the last boss battle (Amir) took me fucking ages since he'd one-shot me. So I had to sploit him by moving left-right-left-right around the central 'wall', so he'd keep crawling back and forth over it, allowing me to take pot shots without getting shot. :roll:
Still took me ages though. bad design, and a weird implementation in a game that prides itself on choices and diverse approaches.

Other less infuriating problems:

- trying to hack a pc while stealthing...you will always stand up in full view, and ther's no way to check if someone's coming during the process. Why would I stand up at full length to stealthily hack a pc at desk level?! Makes no sense. Cue 4544 times where I get detected while on a pc or keypad. Meh.
- the weird energy system. So, I got 5 batteries but only one of them ALWAYS recharges? Whaa? Also, it costs me 1 energy to perform a silent non-lethal takedown? BS. If that made any sense then walking around or jumping would cost me energy all the time. :/ As a result, I actually stealthed up to right behind people I wanted to take down and...shoot them with the stun gun. Yeah, retarded. :roll:

Anyway, on to spoilerville :)

We'll start with the big one...after LONG deliberation, I decided to broadcast Sarif's message. I didn't find taggart anymore so I have no idea what he'd have proposed, but I didn't like the fact that I was making a massive lie to the public...I was doubting between between Sarif's advice and destroying the station with me in it for a long time, but in the end my self-preservation got the better of me. While I understood Darrow's actions to some extent, I couldn't justify mass murder and the halting of human progress to myself. So I lied that the humanity front was behind it all and allowed for the (potentially) unchecked research into human augmentation. As long as it isn't controlled centrally by a group of power and is democratic (which it 'should' be after Sarif's breakthrough based on my DNA), I believe it can only be for the better.

The final cinematic was beautiful, and wise. A perfect ending. It also seemed to reference (I think) to the fact that I'd played non-lethal during the entire game. I always tried to made a deal and save as many people as possible, and I never killed anyone. Not even the crazy aug people on Panachea in the last level (god they were a pain). :) So, that made it even MORE ridiculous that I was killing or letting die those boss characters in the cinematics, instead of making a minimal effort to save them. I even tazed Zhao aaaalll the way at the end instead of shooting her, haha.

Btw, one thing that did kinda go over my head was the final battle (Zhao, the girl in the machine - her daughter?). I know from the books and emails I read that they were working on some sort of ultra-AI mixed with a human being, but I had no idea wtf was going on or why the girl was there etc etc. Anyone know and want to tell me? Maybe I just missed it all.

Cool/gripping moments:

- seeing Malik on the Harvester's operating table, about to be harvested for her augs
- realizing (before Zhao activated it right before the fight with Amir) that I'd been played like a fool when I replaced my biochip with a new one way earlier, from talking to Megan and others...bravo, Eidos, bravo. That's how you make a choice count, instead of being just another 'you can only do better' sidequest. Made the fight a lot harder too I'm sure.
- meeting several characters that could have died/disappeared later in the game, after making certain choices. i'm sure I haven't seen half of it.

Remaining questions...maybe solved in DLC or an expansion/sequel?

- does the fact that Eliza Cassan helps you a sign that she has gained a very real consciousness? She is, after all, a tool of the illuminati.
- Whatever happened to side characters like Wayne Haas? I tried to give him a job at Sarif.
- Sarif and Megan play very dubious roles all game...something I would have liked to confront them about.

So, what happened for you guys? :)

- Coach

Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:43 pm
Felix Rex

I failed to find Sarif, but did find Taggart at the end. However, I chose to kill myself and destroy the station rather than take the other options available. A hard choice, but it was the best one available to me, I think.

I too found Megan and Sarif to be very questionable, but at least through my choice I killed Sarif and Taggart. :) Biatches.

Annoyances... the battery thing was stupid. I agree entirely. As is standing up to do hacking. However, something very cool I found out was, with enhanced strength, you can pick up those gun turrets. So I'd hack a turret, make it shoot enemies, then just carry it around with me. The AI was too stupid to shoot it, so I just dominated everything without wasting any ammo. It was helpful the second time in China as some of those guys were very difficult to kill.

As for my play style, for the most part I tried to be stealthy. I would not kill if it was convenient, but if I lost stealth or got bored, I had no trouble going full-on asshole. I also preferred to kill off people I considered to be bad guys. Like the soldiers that dropped into the hotel area in China toward the end... yea, hunted down and head shot every one of em.

I never got the achievement of fully pimping out a weapon, but I spend most of my upgrades on my 10mm pistol and assault rifle. As the game progressed, I added other weapons to that mix, especially at the end. I feel they introduced the laser and plasma rifles to close to the end, though. I never used the laser rifle, and the plasma I only used in the last battle to take out robots.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Not done yet.

Quote:
As a result, I actually stealthed up to right behind people I wanted to take down and...shoot them with the stun gun.

I used the same tactic but the tranqualise rifle, it netted 10 more xp :D. I think the overall haul of this 10xp is less than 1000xp but.. You know i like to think its important :D.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:32 am
Stranger

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/ ... t=featured

More Deus Ex. Gamespot reported it had sold 2mil, so it'll be interesting to see where they take it.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:59 pm
Felix Rex

Good. I'm glad it did well. It's a really good game, probably one of the best of the year. They better not fuck up the sequels.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

What I liked about the tranquilizer rifle is that it would not 'instantly' down opponents. They only pass out a few seconds in, which makes perfect sense. The heaviest opponents (heavy guards) even take up to 5-10 seconds sometimes. Very cool. :) It even allows you to more or less determine where they pass out by calculating in the time it takes them to fall down and their patrolling routine. Very useful in concealing them without actually having to pop out of cover and dragging their bodies somewhere.

Oh and btw, a twist on Satis' awesome turret strategy: you can even bring a turret to the boss fight with . Apparently it'll take him out in 15 second. :roll:

- Coach

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:50 am
Felix Rex

Deus Ex DLC coming in October.

http://deusex.com/themissinglink

It covers the three days that are missing while you're on a freighter.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next