It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Guild Wars 2 
Minor Diety

Post Guild Wars 2
We've seen some vids of it before, and more and more are appearing. Looks pretty impressive. I also nabbed this from a RPS comment:

Quote:
- No ! nonsense, it’s a more dynamic world than that, you actually react to the world around you. If you see a town being burned to the ground, you do something about it. If you see someone screaming in pain and begging for aid, you do something about it. You don’t just run past and ignore this just because you haven’t collected the right !.

- Dynamic events which change the world. Such as a town being raided, you could intercept at this point or not. If you intercept, you could succeed or fail at stopping the invaders, if you fail, the invaders could take the town and fortify it, installing a leader there. If you ignore it, their plans will be the same, but it’ll happen much more quickly. You can then try and free the town from the slavery imposed on them by the invaders. There’s lots of this.

- The game has a personal story, this is built in part by a biography you build when creating a character, part of this is based upon class and profession, but beyond that you answer a bunch of questions, this will, in turn, effect the content you see in the game, and there’s branching content from there depending on certain key decisions you make. You can’t just rush through the game and see all the available content with one character, because each of your characters (providing you don’t create clones and make all the same choices) will be different, and have their own story.

- The skill system won’t rely on sixty buttons and multiple bars on screen, there’ll be one bar with 10 buttons. Five of these buttons will depend on what you have equipped; two-handed weapon, dual wielding, off-hand, shield, and so on, and three will be support skills, one will be a heal, and one will be a high-end unique skill. This will make up the bar as you’ll see it throughout the game. You can swap weapon sets, which will change your role in combat. There are also traits which depend on the weapons you have equipped, which will further allow you to change how you play.

- There is no holy trinity as we know it, there are no tanks, there are no healers, there is a new system of control & interception, support, and attack. All professions will be able to do all of these, there will be no healer sitting around just watching health bars going up and down, you won’t ever be waiting to go on an adventure just because you don’t have a certain class/profession/build with you. Everyone will be able to fulfil whatever role is needed, so people can just dive in and have fun.

- Combat will be dynamic and based on watching the battlefield, there will be visual cues as to what your opponents are going to do, every attack will have a unique visual appearance, and you’ll be able to tell what’s going on just by watching the field itself, even more than just paying attention to the UI. As a Warrior with a shield, for example, you can stand in front of a casting mage and hold up your shield, your shield will then block a hail of incoming arrows which were designed to interrupt the mage’s casting. Projectiles don’t home and don’t magically go to their target, so if you can get between them and their target, you can stop them. Another example of this is that shooting arrows through a source of fire will set them alight. The environment is much, much more important in Guild Wars 2 than any other MMO I’ve seen.

- There’s going to be a response and reputation system, and people will remember how you’ve treated them. I don’t remember the exact terms, but when you talk to an NPC, you’ll have choices like; dignified (professional approach), aggressive (angry approach), and charm (kind approach). If you’re constantly aggressive to a particular race, they might be less inclined to treat you nicely or ask you for help. If one of a race sees you, and they know you’ve been nice to their kind, they might call you over and ask for your aid in taking care of a problem.

- In regards to the personal storyline system, there are lots of instances where the world will change permanently for you. Let’s say that you find an injured man, and he tells you that he’s been seeking aid to help his farmstead, which is under constant attack from centaur raiders, who tend to ravage their land, steal their crops, and so on. You could choose to help this person, and if you succeed then you’ll be a hero, but you’ll be a special kind of hero, because they’ll know you personally. You could go back there much later, and they’ll still remember you as the one who saved them, and greet you warmly. They might even be willing to share/sell things they’ve come across in order to aid you.

- Dynamic events scale according to the player response, if the player response is large then the event scales up to match, this happens anywhere in the world, so there’s no sense of competing in order for a quest. If you see a lone player trying to defend a caravan from some bandits, and you join in, then you’ll be able to help out, and aid with driving off the attacking bandits. Thanks to this, you won’t feel you’ll need to group in order to take on an event, but if you see a bunch of players there and you want to jump in? Well, there’s no harm in doing just that!

- There will be dungeons and instanced sections of the world which will change permanently depending on your success or failure in those areas, some will be related to your personal storyline, and some will be related to the game’s main plot.

- If you defeat the Zaishen Dragon, the largest threat in the game, then that doesn’t change the world for anyone else. However, it does mean that your story is over. What does that mean? This will be the first MMO to actually have a proper ending! I’m expecting a parade. >.>

- There will be fun activities in every city, and every city will be absolutely massive and split up into many areas. It will actually take an amount of time to cross a city due to this, and I believe there will be Asura gates which link to different sections of a city due to the sheer size and scale of them. There’ll be lots of unique little things in cities. Like for example: Divinity’s Reach will have a one-man-band contraption, this is sort of like a jukebox for players to use. You can select from a bunch of songs to play, and once one is selected it’ll start playing that and blowing out confetti. The cities will feel more alive, and more involving than other MMOs, where they’re usually just a pretty dead, lifeless hub.

- In relation to the above, there are activities in cities. No two cities will have the same activities, as each activity will be unique, and each city will have a selection of activities. One example of this is a a bar brawl. Once you enter into one, your abilities change into fun things such as clocking someone over the head with a mug of ale and the like. From what I understand, the bar brawl will be a free for all with NPCs and players all duking it out and being crazy. There’s also a shooting gallery mentioned, polo, a Norn version of basketball played with a keg, and many others.

- ArenaNet’s philosophy is pretty much an anti-life sucking one. Ridiculous grind is usually present in an MMO because it has a subscription, the subscription must be justified over X number of months in order for the developer to rake in monies. However, with a subscriptionless MMO, grind because unnecessary. ArenaNet has promised that their anti-grind philosophy will always be in place, regardless of who likes that or doesn’t. Their game will be casual friendly, and it won’t be designed to eat your soul. Another facet of this is that the game will have map travel with a small fee attached, as opposed to elongated, dull, snorefest flights with a fee attached. A lot of the negative stigma in games like World of Warcraft is tied into the subscription. Guild Wars showed that it could be a game without grind (the only grind is optional, and for cosmetic things), and ArenaNet wish to continue down that path.

- There will be real underwater areas. I’m not talking of the barren underwater areas in games like World of Warcraft (which couldn’t even really stand up to Ecco of the Dreamcast area), but proper, detailed underwater areas, where there’s content players can enjoy. This is one of the reasons that Rangers can charm a shark, and keep it as a pet. An example of this is shown in the Sylvari element of the Races of Tyria trailer, that beautiful underwater scene wasn’t just for show. Players will be able to swim and explore some truly alien underwater locales.

- Exploration. I know you’ve mentioned the prettiness, but I have to expand on this. ArenaNet have some of the best artists in the industry, and they area amazing. The Art of Guild Wars 2 book is proof positive of this, you might remember Kieron spazzing out over it a bit back, and the spazzing was deserved. In a game like World of Warcraft, you go to an area to question, not to truly gasp at the beauty of it all. Guild Wars, even by today’s standards, is aesthetically and artistically beautiful, in many ways. Guild Wars 2 will be graphically enhanced, to match today’s computers, but it will also be aesthetically and artistically beautiful, something that few MMOs are. In other words, you’ll want to go to places just to see them, there will be times when you’ll stand on a cliff edge, and the vista that rolls out before you will have your jaw on the floor before you can blink. It’s nice to actually want to see areas because they’re that pretty.

And here's a clip showcasing some of the ranger skills. The 'battle sounds' sound a little silly (not too bad tho) but it appears they can be turned off in the menu.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/07 ... e-rangers/

- Coach

Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:22 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: Guild Wars 2
Been keeping up to date with all the updates on this. I really, really want this game. I don't like the characters talking so much but I can live with it (or turn it off hopefully) but all the 'new' mechanics certainly sound very intriguing, such as the spell combining (love the arrows through the fire), the truly dynamic world and quests and the individual stories that your characters can supposedly follow.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:43 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Post Re: Guild Wars 2
Some very promising GW2 stuff. Below a written preview and a huge 3-part video presentation. It starts of slow (some talking head dude) but it features a TON of really cool footage. It looks pretty amazing tbh. Warning though: each part is 15 min long. :O

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08 ... 2-preview/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1kN4Bccx2M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE5ZE4SebTk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STsjcWT4XSA

- Coach

Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]