It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
The Witcher 2 
Stranger

Post Re: The Witcher 2
Quote:
Damnit, I need a better graphics card. My gtx465 struggles at high quality...and I want ultra, damnit.

Whore! :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon May 30, 2011 9:43 am
Felix Rex

you know it.

Will have sex for better gfx

Mon May 30, 2011 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Disclaimer: posting this pic is not in any way indirectly meant to get Satis to have sex with me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Coach

Tue May 31, 2011 6:58 am
Felix Rex

Not bad. Still in Chapter 1. :roll:

At the point where I had to choose between helping Roche (roach!? Shouldn't it be roshe?) and arming the squirrel guy, I armed the squirrel guy, though it wasn't as extreme a move as I had feared. I then proceeded to have a frustrating and eventually easy-difficulty fight with that Witcher guy.

I then chose to stick with Roche and take out the governor dude. Whatever, I'm bad with names. I just killed him (not on easy! yay!) and am in the process of stumbling out with his pregnant elf prisoner. :roll:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

haha, cool.

The thing with the arming is that you don't know what would have happened if you didn't arm him, of course. I wonder why did you arm him? Felt morally obligated after using him as a prisoner to fool Letho? So you chose to go with Roche...also curious what the rationale behind that was. I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, I'm just wondering why you chose what you chose. Loredo is a pig. :P The scene with the Elven woman, Ves and the suicide is pretty harrowing. Giving the baby to her former lover and sailing away was pretty cool again. In any case...welcome to Chapter 2. :)

Oh and I think Roche is an Irish name...I knew a guy named Roche and his name was pronounced 'Roache'

Also...I chose to go with the Scoiatel. :) You and another friend I have who plays the game both chose Roche, wonder what that says about me. I gave Iorveth his weapon too, because I couldn't just let him get bumrushed after having him unarmed and cooperating with me...then I talked to Roche and the Scoiatel and went with the Scoiatel because I felt they'd be the quickest way to get to Triss. Roche want to do some stuff first he told me, and I don't really care about Loredo, Flotsam or Temeria. I cared about the people I love and who helped me, so going after Triss 'quicker' seemed the logical choice. I'm not exactly sympathetic to the Scoiatel's cause, but I'm not to Roche's plans either. The little obligation I feel towards Foltest wasn't enough to motivate me.

I can tell you now: the entire chapter 2 is completely different depending on whether you chose Roche or the Scoiatel. It's almost two different games. This also reflects in Chapter 3 of course - as far as branching storytelling goes, it's an effing masterpiece. Oh and even the end of Chapter 1 is completely different with a few branches in each part. Impressive.

Told you about that "bitchingly hard sword fight" eh? :) Took me so may tries until I got lucky. I think that's just about the hardest fight you'll do in a while tho...by now you shoulmd be coming into your own equipment and skill-wise (talent three etc)

- Coach

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:26 am
Felix Rex

Spoiler thread....
I gave Iorveth a weapon because I wasn't going to let him get cut down without a chance to fight. He'd played straight with me, so I felt obligated to return the favor. After the ridiculous fight with that one guy, I spoke with the elf and considered going that route, then decided to see what Roche had. I liked the idea of killing Loredo. Do you know about that part? If not, I'll not say anything more as I don't want to spoil it for you.

I'm now running around the camp doing various things. No major accomplishments, just doing little quests. I beat one guy in the arena to protect another dude (in exchange for a square coin) and man... talk about unfair freaking fights... again! Basically, if he lays into you with a combo, that's it, you're dead. Horrible. So I ended up Aarding him and then heavy chop chop... rinse repeat until death. Feels cheap, but so's the fact I was getting killed so rapidly.

I've been putting all my points in the swords tree so far. I'll probably continue that for awhile. I like the combat, and area killing is definitely needed. I think I have level 1 of the area hits unlocked already.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah I did the Roche path on my second playthrough, so I know what you're talking about. Also did Chapter 2 (for the most part) on the Kaedweni side so I know about the arena too. I found the fights in the arena ludicrously easy though (but then I'd finished the game once already by then so that may not say much). Only the last opponent gave me some trouble. You either use signs to get through their defense (aard or yrden), or wait for them to attack you and block it, then counterattack. Or you can riposte if you have that skill. From the moment you're getting hit by anything, just roll back or to the sides. It won't always work from the bat but at least you'll get the chance to get out of his combo.

Once you'll get some great armor and more advanced skills you'll slice and dice through pretty much anything anyway. :D Killing Loredo was satisfying, but in my 'canon' game (first game) I didn't bother...why would I care about Loredo or Flotsam? The whole scene with the Elven rape prisoner and her kid and the suicide was pretty rough. :o

Man I see so many little things changing vis-a-vis my previous game based on some choices here and there. For example, the 'madam' of the brothel in Flotsam is a Scoiatel informer - I found that out in my first game. And you know she's part of the scene and dialogue with the girl and her spying on the sorceress next door right? Now, in my current game I didn't give Iorveth his sword back and he was captured by Roche. I went to the brotherl for the spying scene.dialogue and it was just the girl. Then I set out to find the madam. I did find her...hung herself in her office. :o Because of Iorveth. The coolest thing of all was that this time, I had no clue that she was an informer for the Scoiatel. So when arriving on the scene, I had no idea why she hung herself. I was there with Dandelion and the conversation went something like "my god...why do you think she did it?" and me replying "I have no idea. Everyone has their reasons".

And that's just one little thing; not even anything important.

Oh and I went for a beer with a friend yesterday and it turned out he did a few things very differently at the end compared to my first game, and that he didn't even know some very important details about certain peeps. His game was truly different. I actually spoilered a large part of his second playthrough by revealing something I thought he knew. :D I won't do that to you, don't worry.

- Coach

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:49 am
Felix Rex

haha, good stuff. It's interesting to hear all this.

I'm still in Chapter 2 at this point. I completed a bunch of side quests... currently puzzled by the 3 sisters thing, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. I also spent, I swear, 1000 orens on books from a certain vendor. Hope it's worth it, though it did help me complete a quest with burning of bodies. Interesting stuff.

regarding the fight against Loredo, I did what I was supposed to do and snuck by everyone...but afterward, I had to fight them all, which was ludicrous. I finally managed it thanks to aard one-shot kills, but fuck, that was hard. If I'd just murdered everyone instead of sneaking, it would've been MUCH easier. That's a problem, imo, but I did manage to complete it without switching away from normal difficulty. I can't imagine how hard anything harder would be.

I'm still working on my sword skills. Thinking about just hunting random creatures to level up a few times so I can unlock the group finishers. We shall see. Great game, tough... excellent dialog, interesting quests, interesting dialog... I can't remember the last time I actually read most of the dialog in an RPG. Usually I just skip it all as superfluous...in this game, it's required reading, and actually interesting to boot.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, and the thing I only realized the second time is that the animations during dialogue (hands, body movements) are a lot more appropriate than in most games. Even Mass Effect 2 falls flat compared to The Witcher 2 in that department.
Also, the Loredo quest...I had it easy because on the final floor with guards (while sneaking up) I knocked over a bowl on a table so the 4 guys sleeping there woke up and I whacked them. So when the rest of the garrison came running after finding the elven rape prisoner, the entire top floor was empty already and all the other guys had to run up the narrow stairs to run up to me. And then...2 X dancing star bombs to create a patch if flame on the stairs. :lol: Only 2 guys made it up, well they and one guy with like 5% health left. I had the + 100% damage skill from bombs too.

I love dancign star. best way ever to take out groups of smaller enemies, and generally good for narrow hallways etc.

- Coach

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:40 am
Felix Rex

hmmm. I barely use bombs or traps... barely being practically never. Maybe I'm making the game unnecessarily difficult on myself. :roll:

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

So where you at brah?

Some more screens

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Coach

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:15 am
Felix Rex

I got kinda burned out for a bit, so I'm chilling for now. I'll go back to it. I got to the next chapter... 3, I guess, but not very far into it. Like, basically not at all, other than I explored a bit and found some chest with runes and crap.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I completed the game. I don't know... the production values were good, the story was pretty good, the voice acting was great... but it just didn't grab me. The best games I can't put down, but this one I would get burned out on and quite after 20 minutes. I'm not sure what didn't click... maybe I'm just picking up the :jade: .

Anyway, I uninstalled it. I may go back and try a different path, but since I didn't really dig it all that much the first time through, I'm not sure I'd want to do a repeat.

Spoilerage on my choices:
The first choice once I got to Loc Muine was whether to helped Roche or rescue Triss. I, of course, opted for the poon. I mean, seriously... what would you do?

Then I had to choose whether or not to let the sorceress chick explode. I saved her, then tried to cut her up while she was blabbering, to no avail. So yea, I let her loose.

With the dragon, I chose to kill it. I figure it was doing it a favor anyway... I mean, the freaking thing was impaled on a tree. I didn't think there was any coming back from that. Plus I wanted to loot it for resources. I didn't realize that was practically the end of the game.

I also decided to kill Letho. It was kinda nice, after the ass-kicking he gave me in the swamp.

So, overall impression: the boss battles sucked. They were either too hard, or too boring. Like the dragon I killed I think second try.... but it took for freaking ever as you roll around dodging bites, getting in one hit, then rolling away. Rinse repeat. BORING. Letho took forever.... run around, dodge, when his shield drops, jump in, slide 2-3 times, roll away, rinse repeat. Regular fighting is much more enjoyable. I really liked slaughtering the enemy camp toward the end. *shrug*

Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Hehehe, I'll tell you what happened in my game

I sided with Iorveth and the Scoiatel in chapter 1...we sailed to Vergen and I spent most of chapter 2 there. Basically, if you go with Roche in chapter 1 you go to the Kaedwaeni camp, if you go with Iorveth you go to Vergen. Chapter 2 is almost completely different depending on that choice. :) Different peope, location, dynamics, ending.

I also focused on rescuing Triss and tore through the Nilfgaardian chapter, like you. And yeah, I loved that part too. Also killed the dragon, a mercy kill mostly. And I didn't kill Letho...I didn't see the point. Letho never really hated me, I was just involved in a larger plot of his. And he spared me in chapter 1. I would have liked to be able to do something for Roche too, since he saved me from being executed at another point in chapter 3. Ah well. I saved the sorceress too, thinking I'd capture her.

Btw, since you uninstalled the game anyway: apparently the dragon pulls out the tree and scampers off if you don't kill it. It might still die, but there's no way to tell. Oh and since you went with Roche: did you realize that the dragon is/ was Saskia, the Virgin of Aedirn? :) A friend of mine who played the game and went with Roche didn't know (it was never explained if you spend chapter 2 on the kaedwaeni side, since it's obviously kind of a big secret), and I accidentally spoiled it for him thinking such a major plot event would be known to anyone by the end. Guess not. :P It's quite the game, story-wise.

What did you do about the political situation? Did you retrieve the girl?

- Coach

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:48 am
Felix Rex

I had no idea that dragon was Saskia. No wonder she was so self-confident. Even though that one kind was about to lop her head off at one point. :roll:

The political situation with the girl? Can you elaborate? You must be talking about something other than when I chose Triss over Roche.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next