It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Dragon Age 2 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Dragon Age 2
Yeah, exactly. It was "less generic" and "more distinct" or whatever.

Read: we're optimising (ie downgrading) the game so it'll look good on consoles too. :(

- Coach

Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:07 am
Minor Diety

PC Demo out!

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/demo/

Can't believe no one saw it before me. :P

- Coach

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:57 am
Minor Diety

I played it. Opinion is...mixed.

Camera has definitely become worse - gone is the large overview isometric camera of DA1, which feels really awkward. :( The combat itself though is well-done and feels 'swishy', no complaining there. The dialogue and atmosphere is also of a very decent level, although it is incredibly reminiscent of Mass Effect now.

The problem is that the demo doesn't show much more than one really desolate area with one fight after the other, interrupted by dialogues (and a small indoors fight). So, you can't tell if it's actually gonna be a succession of fights with some dialogue in between or an actual RPG like DA1.

So yeah...I'll be holding off buying this for a while. While I loved the DA universe and DA1, this doesn't immediately strike me as my sort of thing. I'll let the reviews and perhaps a later sale guide me.

P.S. the humungous two-handed swords annoyed me
P.P.S. the game actually said "push any button" upon startup. Gaaah.

- Coach

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:08 pm
Minor Diety

Awesome, thanks Ox, been looking out for this. Was gonna get Mole to buy me the game for my birthday and save paying for it myself, then figured I was iffy enough on it with the "improved for consoles" rubbish, I'd rather wait for the demo anyway. So will give this a go when it's downloaded :)

Edit: Tried it as a mage, since I only played the original with a mage so far (really must finish that!) and figured it would make for easier comparisons. It has actually put my mind at rest quite a bit. I like the new art style, it works very well and particularly on lower end pcs will make it a lot more friendly (left mine on medium for everything but could probably have bumped it up). I also quite like the fighting, though the non-isometric is slightly irritating, particularly for the mage but weirdly I didn't use it that often in DA anyway, so I can live with that.

I don't know if it was just the demo or if it will happen in the full game, but the cinematics-game-cinematics jump was sometimes very dodgy. Instead of a smooth transition everytime sometimes it would grey out the screen for a few seconds. As this is what Win 7 does before crashing a program I kept thinking it was about to ctd. I'm also not sure if I like the speech wheel. I like it in that good is at the top, neutral middle, evil bottom, like with Mass Effect, but that's always kinda been the joy of DA/BG; the choices aren't obvious. The 'good' option is often tinted with something that isn't morally so great and vice versa. But we'll see, if there are still some more ambiguous options out there, I'll be happy. Also want to know about the friend/rival thing - does this mean the end of "You pissed x off, he's gone!"? I hope not.

Overall I think I will get it though. Maybe not til I've finished DA/Awakening.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Oh yeah, I wouldn't recommend anyone getting DA2 on release based on this demo. I forgot to mention, but I even had small loading pauses during conversations, like when the camera switched between speakers. Very immersion-breaking.

Basically, I didn't think the demo was awful, but I can't see how anyone who liked DA:O for what it was could be optimistic from it about DA2. :(

- Coach

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:26 am
Minor Diety

Yeah same thing between convos. I'm hoping the demo itself was just not very well optimised. Either way it's out a week or two after my birthday so the bf might get me it.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I have a sneaking suspicion that DA2 will suck and I will never end up playing it. DA1 was good... really good. If they'd fixed some of the biggest problems and left the rest alone, a sequel could have been great. However, I suspect they "fixed" far too much that didn't need fixing.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, I think that is the vibe I got from this demo, more or less. Barring OMGWTFBBQ reviews, I'll probably get the Ultimate Edition on a sale come Christmas. :(

- Coach

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:47 am
Minor Diety

Only played the demo briefly (twice) and can't say that i'm getting very excited about the game.

Oh and i couldn't save appearantly, very annoying even if it's only a demo.

And the 'push any button' makes me want to poke somebody's eyes out.

~King of Thieves~

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:10 am
Stranger

Then push the "do not buy button" :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 am
Minor Diety

Lol yeah well I always like to trick those 'push any button' things. I clicked :P haha. Do it on the xbox all the time. "Press Start"... hmm... nope, I'm gonna press A, deal with it!

Of course sometimes A won't work and then the stupid game gets its way :argue:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Hey, wait till you get some Kinect games.

"Jump up and down on one leg three times to start"

Yea, then we'll see who's laughing.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Another annoying thing is that the demo crashed twice now. So i'll probably not even going to finish it (getting tired of fighting the same fights over and over again).

~King of Thieves~

Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:35 pm
Minor Diety

Make that 3 crashes, and certainly going to stop playing it.

~King of Thieves~

Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:29 am
Minor Diety

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422971

That post says it all...dirty console peasants pissing all over the PC gaming master race with the DA2 demo, hilarious system reqs parody (cause the game looks worse than DA1 because it doesn't cater to PC anymore), fine selection of Bioware quotes and some ridiculous screenshot. :)

- Coach

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next