It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
18 RPG's at E3 
Minor Diety

Post 18 RPG's at E3
http://kotaku.com/5558602/e3-2010-previ ... 8Kotaku%29

Not much to be excited about, apart from The Witcher 2 and Deux Ex 3 which are both some time away still. And KOTOR of course, but that's even further away.

- Coach

Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:45 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: 18 RPG's at E3
Wasn't the genre declared dead some five years ago?

Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:06 am
Minor Diety

LIAR!! YOU LIE!!!

(well, maybe, but they said the same thing about adventures until there appeared a ton of them, with reasonable success too)

- Coach

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:08 am
Felix Rex

Yea, people strongly declare that [insert something here] is dead... and then it isn't. PC gaming is dead, RPGs are dead, adventure games are dead, simulations are dead (and right now they kind of are)... etc etc. I bet it's all cyclical.

I really would love to see a rebirth of the simulation genre though... stuff like what Microprose used to specialize in. I miss jumping into a fighter simulator... or tank... or helicopter... or submarine... etc etc. Not that the genre is entirely dead, but it's not doing so hot.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:46 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Dude, submarine sims are very much alive! Silent Hunter V has the Ubi no-buy DRM so fuck that, but Silent Hunter 3 is a classic game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMd0VgGstt8

- Coach

Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:06 am
Felix Rex

What happened to Silent Hunter IV?

And yea, I knew that ubi did that, but the DRM made it a no-go. There's also Wings of Something (forget exactly) that's a modern WWII fighter simulator. That's pretty cool. Still, I want MORE! I want a B2 Bomber simulator, or an F-22 sim, etc etc.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Silent Hunter IV was ok, but didn't really capture most people's imaginations. The main reason for it was that it focused on the American submarine campaigns in the Pacific (SIlent Hunter IV: Wolves of the Pacific) and I think everyone prefers the Atlantic/mediterranean theatres with the German U-Boots. :)

I am really bummed about SH V's DRM, actually. Would have been a total buy for me. :( On the bright side: now I can wait until it's dirt cheap, freed of DRM (bound to happen) and stuffed with great mods.

- Coach

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:17 am
Felix Rex

Yea, Ubi took some retardation pills. They had a sure sale with AC2, but the DRM killed it *shrug* I can't recall if there were other games they ruined for me... guess it doesn't matter.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:02 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Ooh Dungeon Siege 3, loved the original, not finished the 2nd but still quite enjoyable. And of course The Witcher 2. Other than that, not much of interest. Surprised D3 didn't get a mention in there anywhere. You'd figure Blizz would want one more chance to show it off.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]