It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Dragon Age: Awakening 
Minor Diety

Post Dragon Age: Awakening
Since this is planned for March, it should probably get its own thread.

Here are some videos showing off 2 new NPC's and the Children, some sort of abominations that are presumably Darkspawn of some sorts.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02 ... wakenings/

In case you forgot, this was the announcement trailer

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/05/drago ... -foretold/

- Coach

Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:59 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: Dragon Age: Awakenings
New character vid...Sigrun, dwarven warrior and part of the (excessively cool) Legion of the Dead.

http://g4tv.com/videos/44279/Exclusive_ ... n_Trailer/

Also, previews and even the rare hands-on are pouring in. Some stuff:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/#14405

Quote:
In case it's not obvious yet, Awakening is not DLC. This is an expansion in the classic sense of the word, in the grand BioWare tradition. Development on Awakening has been underway for more than a year, concurrent with the final development phase of Origins. With the tech and tools already well in place, a side team has been able to create a pretty substantial amount of new content for players when it launches in March.

Quote:
Along the way though, I check out some of the new abilities for each class. Most Dragon Age fans will remember how out of whack the balance was in favor of the mages, who can clear an entire room with a fireball while warriors and rogues struggle to even stay upright. BioWare admits as much.

"I think, particularly with the new specializations, we've been able to make warriors and rogues cool again," Melo tells me. He follows up, "One of the nice things is something like [character specializations] Shadow or Legionnaire Scout will give you a lot more close-quarters sustainability. So you can actually become a proper secondary fighter, whereas in Origins I remember it kind of suffered a bit, unless you really started to expend points toward a strength-based build, or something like that."

Quote:
"We spent a lot of years developing the world of Dragon Age, and Awakening has a very defined place of what it's trying to reveal both geographically but also in terms of storytelling and timeline it fits into. Awakening is something that is a massive way to add not just a chapter to the story, but a volume, like a new book to the world. But each of the downloadable content types, even down to the really small items, will usually be very rich with lore or they'll foreshadow other things that are to come. Eventually these things converge and paint a much bigger picture."

I'm actually excited. Anything to lengthen my DA experience substantially at a similar level of quality is interesting, to say the least. :)

- Coach

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:30 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: Dragon Age: Awakening
Hands-on preview of the expansion

http://www.incgamers.com/Previews/177/d ... g-hands-on

Positive tone - promising. :)

- Coach

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:07 pm
Felix Rex

Yea, I'll almost certainly buy it. Obviously the first was quite good. I may not buy it on release, though. I don't have a ton of time to put to gaming, after all. :)

Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:13 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I'm having it bought as a late birthday present, yay!

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:39 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

haha, I was kind off putting off buying it until I heard some more opinions but I suppose I'm gonna buy it regardless when it comes out. You're right, more DA is just too good to turn down. Hard to believe it's coming out next week already - early next week for you yanks. (15th and 18th of March)

- Coach

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:38 am
Minor Diety

Quote:
GB: By the time a character reaches level 20 in the base game, there really aren't any desirable talents left to choose from. How do you intend to keep things fresh and ensure that we have plenty of appealing advancement options when the level cap is raised even further? How many more spells and other talents are you implementing in the expansion? Will these fall under the existing talent trees (Archery, Entropy, Two-Handed, etc.) or will we be seeing additional talent categories for each class? Care to give us an example or two?

Ferret: When we extended the level cap in Awakening (from 25 to 35) we also added a ton of new spells and abilities. There’s over 50 new ones to choose from, so there’s more new high level talents than you can get with one character. There’s two basic type of talents we’ve added – the talents that support our new specializations and those which are available to the core classes. The ones that give more goodies to the core classes fall into existing talent trees. Each type of weapon combat has another talent chain added to it. So two handed weapons, weapon and shield, dual wield, and archery all have four new abilities apiece. Mages get two new spell chains, as well. You have to be high level to pick up the new talents, but they’re often more potent than anything you’ve seen before.

An example of a warrior ability is “Peon’s Plight”. This ability allows a warrior to outright kill any one normal or critter level enemy, or deal a lot of damage to anyone else. This allows warriors to really change the tide of many battles. For example, if you start a fight and you see a non-elite Hurlock emissary in the back ranks – just bull rush him and lop off his head in one fell swoop. Conan would be proud.

Another awesome ability that both warriors and rogues can pick up is “Accuracy”. It’s a modal ability for archers that once activated increases the effectiveness of all of your ranged combat stats. The difference is immediate and noticeable. If you get the entire Archery ability chain it feels like Legolas has got your back.

- Coach

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:58 am
Stranger

Quote:
For example, if you start a fight and you see a non-elite Hurlock emissary in the back ranks – just bull rush him and lop off his head in one fell swoop. Conan would be proud.

Quote of the Dragon Age day.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:33 am
Minor Diety

Hey Satsi, how is Awakening priced on yankee steam? 40 bucks?

- Coach

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:09 pm
Minor Diety

*wind blowing through thread, tumbleweed rolling by*

- Coach

Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:39 am
Felix Rex

was that a not-so-subtle bump? $40.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:13 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha, how was that even not-so subtle? :lol: Thanks. I guess it won't be worth the trouble of acquiring it over American steam then (it's 30 € in Europe).

- Coach

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:53 am
Minor Diety

Mm I'm waiting for reviews now, I mean the expansion is due in days (maybe already tomorrow for our yankee doodle friends) and I haven't heard any critical response yet. Who am I kidding though, I'll buy it anyway. The flesh is weak. The mind too. :(

- Coach

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:54 pm
Minor Diety

Review on Eurogamer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/drago ... ing-review

Quote:
Let's remove any confusion from the start. Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening is not another piece of crappy DLC following the dismal inclusions we've seen since the BioWare RPG's release last November. This expansion is 25 hours of full-scale new content, essentially an entire new game, that picks up the story however you may have left it. It has a new setting, a (mostly) new crew of companions, new abilities, skills, spells and talents, and most importantly, a re-imagined approach that's appropriate to a shorter format while still achieving the necessary sense of scale.

Goes on to say many fine things, and a 9/10 overall score. Guess I'm heading to steam now to spend my 30 simoleons. :)

- Coach

Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:55 pm
Felix Rex

I went ahead and bought it. am installing it now. I realized that with Op Flash done, I didn't really have much else to play at the moment.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next