It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Dragon Age - My topic 
Minor Diety

Well i can't ditch Alistair, since he's my tank. And i don't want to dump my dog, he's my companion from the start (human noble origin story). Switching my dog for an extra mage would indeed be the best move party-balance wise i think. But i can't say no to those cute puppy-eyes.

~King of Thieves~

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:30 pm
Felix Rex

Wynn? Did I accidentally kill her or something? Damnit. I could totally use another mage, though that would mean dumping Leliana, who I've become quite dependent on. I'd actually dump my main if I could. :roll:

Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Possibly, if you picked the wrong dialogue in the mage tower with Morrigan in your party.

I noticed that with a good healer, a though fight lasts longer :)

~King of Thieves~

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:17 pm
King

I dont know what I'd do with Wynn. I would have probably quit do to all the potions I would have had to use. I dont see how people can play with her. I have her and still its tough.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:16 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

I made about 50 lesser poultices before heading into the tunnels or whatever, but I've only used a few. Morrigan does a great job healing me for the most part...heal, rejuvenate and regenerate rock. Plus allistair makes a pretty fine tank... plus the added tank of my ranger bear. If anything, the game's a bit on the easy side right now.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Lol @ Satis fragging Wynn. I did the same thing. :lol: I was like "right, we need to contain this mess - kill all mages". I wasn't going to kill the kids and shit, but then she got out of hand and they all attacked me, my hand was tipped. :roll: I WOULD have killed her though, since they hint that she had been acting weird etc. I just figured she was possessed.

If I hear you guys (using Wynn or a healerized Morrigan) I think I must have made the game needlessly hard(er) for myself. No Wynn, not a single healing spell on anyone. :cry: At one point in the Deep Roads, Sten had 9 (!) conditions simultaneously from all the dying he did. Rest of the party about 3-4. But we slugged on and beat the fuckers. :twisted:

- Coach

Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:45 am
Felix Rex

heh...I keep injury kits on me, so I'll only ever have conditions if they don't really affect the character at all (like magic injuries on my tank). I definitely plan on taking Wynn next time I play... a second play through is definitely going to happen.

For me, the final battle in the deep roads was a tad rough, but I made it first try. Granted, I lost half my party. Oh, and it's annoying how you're forced to take the drunk dwarf... it totally screwed up my party. I didn't even have any two-handed weapons. The poor bastard ended up dead in the first few seconds of the final battle, wiedling a single-handed axe and able to use a massive 3 abilities. Thankfully my ranger and morrigan were able to tear through the rest of the enemies... it's amazing how useful the cold spells are.

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, I think I know what happened to you too. :P

It's too bad...he/she was a useful party member. But pragmatism dictated otherwise!

- Coach

Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:02 am
And yet again, i wonder ... how do you survive those though battles without Wynn or any other decent healer?

I finished the deep roads now, some 'though' guys were a pushover (ancient darkspawn ... if he hadn't been orange i hadn't noticed he was any thougher than your regular hurlock). Other fights were a bitch.

Did the broodmother on my second try (she got reinforcements on the wrong time the first time, and ignoring the 4 tentacles wasn't the best of ideas either), but needed tons of healing.

And then the fight with Branka, man, it was really glorious. I thought on several occasions that the battle was lost. At one point only Oghren was left standing, luckily Wynn used her 'Vessel of the Spirit' thing or whatever it is. A bit after that, it was just Wynn standing, or better running while being chased by Branka. Luckily i could revive Alistair, and the key to victory was Wynn's rock throwing spell that turned out to knock over Branka each time. Bought me invaluable time. Should have timed the fight, i think i used 15 lesser lyrium potions as well as quite some health poultices when Wynn couldn't heal.

I think with Morrigan instead of Oghren, the fight would have been much much easier though.

Next on my list: clean my inventory and sell tons of stuff. Then i'm probably off on a dragon-hunt. Curious to see how that goes. I'll probably need to use bow and arrow with my rogue, since i'm not doing well on the hp board.
Still need to go to the elves btw, so i'm far from finished.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:32 am
Felix Rex

You know to 'use' the lyrium rocks hanging around to power up your mage, right? I did a lot of that when I was scurrying about with Morrigan and my main trying not to get pwnt by Branka.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah i know, it's just not wise to charge at a lyrium vein when an angry dwarf is very close behind you :P

Alistair is looking pretty cool with his Legion of the Death armor now.

~King of Thieves~

Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:25 pm
Minor Diety

And yet again, i wonder ... how do you survive those though battles without Wynn or any other decent healer?

Don't forget that no Wynn (or healer) doesn't just mean that you're down a healer, it also means you've got room to bring in someone who's a heavy hitter or a tank. The former obviously improves your damage output and shortens fights, the latter buys your party time by soaking up shit while the DPS characters are doing their 'thang'.

For example, my standard party during most of the game (Me - Sten - Morrigan - Shale/Leliana) had me as a pure tank and then Sten and Morrigan dealing out considerable damage. Sten went down too easy but dealt shitloads of damage with his slow two-handed swings, Morrigan was specced for almost nothing but DPS and a little crowd control. She was a veritable Deathbringer, cause she had no healing spells that took up space (and because i didn't bother advancing in her shapeshifting tree).Leliana and Shale provided respectively ranged damage and tanking assistence. Shale had actually replaced her up until that unfortunate...accident. :cry:

Good luck with the dragons!! Once you beat one of them the other is easy, thanks to the shiny armor you can make from its scales. ;)

- Coach

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:44 am
Minor Diety

I kinda messed things up yesterday, but it went fairly smoothly after all.

I decided to take on the High Dragon ("Andraste") first, since that fight was WITH Morrigan, and she's pretty vital to damage output in my party.

Didn't have too many problems with that fight, my main went down when i got grabbed and i couldn't 'cone of cold' the dragon to make him drop me. But it went pretty well, to my surprise.

So i went to camp, to exchange Morrigan with ... Leliana. I figured i was better off with someone doing ranged damage. I also took some special arrows i was saving (+6, chance to stun) and i decided it would be best if i would set my main as second archer as well. To avoid biting incidents as with the first dragon.

So i travelled from my camp to Flemeth's hut with a good battleplan... but a fight occured on the way (some assassins after Leliana). That fight took me a while, didn't go particularly well since i started on a small ledge open to an archer and some witch threw a fire ball at me. Needed some serieus healing there (pats Wynn on the back).

Now when i finally got to Flemeth, i seem to have forgotten what i was planning to do. I didn't switch back to the good arrows with Leliana, had her fire fire arrows (dunno if that's a great idea against a fire dragon). I kinda forgot i was going to keep my main out of the biting range and rushed in with my daggers. Result was that soon enough my main had died (no cone of cold, clueless how to stop the biting attack otherwise).

One ressurection and a couple of minutes later, Flemeth's health was going down quickly. Things were going smooth, apart from Alistair having troubles keeping the aggro (wing attacks and such sometimes seemed to throw him off, he couldn't get a lot of hits in). Dunno exactly what happened then, but suddenly Leliana was no more (probably been fireballed to oblivion) and my main found herself in Flemeth's teeth again.

So ... it was down to Wynn + Alistair against the big bad girl again. I finally discovered a spell to interrupt the biting attack and slowly managed to get her health down. Things started to look well when my ressurection spell finally became available again. Just when i was about to use it Alistair fell. Panic ... now what? I quickly managed to revive him, luckily Flemeth wasn't very near to Wynn so she came out unharmed.

A few minutes later, Alistair took her down.

Victory, finally!

Did i mention i liked the fights. 8-)

~King of Thieves~

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:44 pm
Felix Rex

lol, congrats. I remember the first time I fought that chick.. she totally owned me. Allistair and Zevran were tryin to stab her with little luck while Leliana and my main were hitting her with arrows and getting the crap blown out of us. Twas a pretty major loss. My second fight was far, far easier.

Anyway, glad you made it. It's nice beating big, mean creatures to death.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah the fights remind a lot of the BG2 dragons...optional, almost impossible at first and then you come back with better gear, higher level with more skills and a better understanding of your party and you manage to beat them...very rewarding. :)

Congrats J!! Loved reading the battle report. I had the same problem with Flemeth, Morrigan was pretty much an indispensable party member (and my only mage in general) so I had to adapt. Worked with me, Sten, another fighter and Leliana in the end. Shale had bitten it by then. :(

Enjoy your new armor(s) btw. :) You know where to bring the scales right?

- Coach

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next