It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Dragon Age - My topic 
Minor Diety

Post Dragon Age - My topic
It seems like people are making their own threads, so here i go as well. DA thread is derailing anyway, so if i have questions it's better to put them here i guess.

So i started yesterday evening. First made a female human noble rogue, but then i changed my mind and started as a dwarven warrior (not a noble but a slumdog). I generally start playing that kind of character (like in BG1, 2, DDO) so i made myself a though guy swinging 2-handed weapons.

I stopped playing when i became a grey warden. Enjoyed the "prologue", have to get used to the battle system (my companion often ended up running from one enemy to another) and i'm pretty clueless what abilities etc to take. I'm mainly focusing on 2-handed things now and we'll see how that works out.

~King of Thieves~

Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:41 am
King

#2 would have probably been better going rogue. Seems having your main as a rogue really turns your team into a power house, so I've read. You team is (more than likely) going to end up with your standard group.

Tank, dps, dps heals. I find having 1 dps a 2 hander to be lacking in dps. Swings to slow.
#3 potions potions potions. They HAVE to be used to play the game. Use often and have plenty.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:06 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Hehe, you chose the same origin as I did J, male Dwarven commoner fighter. :) And yes, it's a very interesting origin (more interesting than the Dalish elf one I just did), and I think you'll like the repercussions of your origin later in the game.

Enjoy your game, as a BG2 veteran and on normal you shouldn't have too many problems I think. :) Just pause often and make use of your party's abilities. I recommend controlling your characters manually if you're having problems, if not you can rely on the tactics options.

Also, if you're having problems with the small inventory space, give me a shout and I'll link you to a mod that puts a storage chest in your basecamp. Solves a lot of item micromanagement issues for the pack rats among us.

EDIT: Also, on the left of your screen, right below the lowest party member portrait, you can tick "group movement" or "free movement". I recommend you choose free, or your party will always move in a very annoying bunch and mess up any stealth, lure or tactical placing attempts.

- Coach

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:13 am
Minor Diety

Changed my mind (again, lol) and made me a female rogue.

Minor glitch: i spend half of the prologue running around in underwear.

Cool thing is that you get your warhound rightaway.

~King of Thieves~

Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:07 pm
Minor Diety

That's a human noble rogue J? Afaik the human noble origin is the only one to get the warhound right from the bat.

I didn't even have a warhound in my first game because of something I messed up in Ostagar. :roll:

- Coach

Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:37 am
Felix Rex

haha, you killed your warhound. :roll: I never pack mine along.. seems kinda useless in comparison to a full human.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:15 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I didn't kill it! Well, maybe indirectly...

I had brought the forest flower to heal him and wanted to give it to the kennel guard, but I accidentally walked in the wrong direction, triggered the big cutscene and after that there was no dog anymore. :roll:

Actually, I ended the game with only 4 companions left, for various reasons. There are 10 in total. :( On the bright side, I didn't really have to think much anymore when assembling my party.

- Coach

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:39 am
Felix Rex

Yea, you killed it. :roll: As far as I'm aware, I haven't killed any companions yet... though Morrigan doesn't like how nice I am. Leliana, however, will shortly be begging me for some of that sweet, sweet elf loving.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:42 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Lol. Yeah, Morrigan doesn't go for sugary sweet stuff. She likes it when you play devil's advocate and/or play it rough, which makes her hard to figure out sometimes but also rather interesting. Sten has a lot of that too in his personality.

Leliana...she's a fox, but reminds me too much of Imoen. Same haircut/color, sweet rogue girl, more or less the same personality...

- Coach

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:57 am
Felix Rex

Yea, but she's a religious freak, which is a total turn off. Imoen didn't have that religious baggage to deal with. Personally I'm not too fond of either of the chicks in my party at this point, despite Morrigan's ridiculous cleavage.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Recieved some minor asswhoopings, mainly because i was just running in and slashing things. And those things weren't that cooperative. :P

Still have a bit of trouble with managing my characters. I sometimes notice they stop fighting for no appearant reason (like after using his stun howl my dog sometimes seems to think it's time for a nap).

Overall i didn't run into something really difficult, if i failed i did better on my second try. :)

General approach is i sneak in to scout the area, the rest stays put untill it's confirmed safe or i know how to lure them out.

And speaking of Morrigan: what is exactly the point of her ridiculous outfit, i mean: it doesn't really look that practical to run through the woods with it.

Ah and my inventory is full. Meh.

~King of Thieves~

Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:31 am
Felix Rex

Queue Ox coming in pimping his storage chest mod. :roll:

I've noticed the same thing with people not fighting. I usually put them on stupid mode where just their tactics work so they don't run off and aggro more shit, but sometimes they'll hit something once, then stop attacking and just stand there. I probably just need to play more with the tactics stuff.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:28 am
Profile WWW
King

but sometimes they'll hit something once, then stop attacking and just stand there.

Bad tactics

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:15 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

btw (off topic) but I did sign up for quake live and got spanked online some yesterday. :roll: It's good stuff though... I even recognize some of the maps.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Post that offtopic stuff in your own damn thread! :wink:

I just discovered the slider bar that shows a character's disposition towards you. Took me a while to find it, i wonder if i'm missing out some other obvious stuff. :P

Also: any idea what kin of things you can find if you talk to your dog? You can send him to 'search the area'. Accidently discovered this and he brought me a 100-year old bottle i can use as a gift.

~King of Thieves~

Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next