It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Dragon Age: Rinox' Origins (Spoiler thread) 
Minor Diety

Post Dragon Age: Rinox' Origins (Spoiler thread)
Maybe it was time for a seperate thread, so I wouldn't have to pollute the other one with my ravings of killing dragons. :P

Also, after talking with a friend who's playing the game too I found out that I missed out on the Mabari warhound by accident! Pev's gonna kill me. :( But I really couldn't help it...

And jesus, this game is pretty huge. After killing that dragon I expected to be pretty much done with that dungeon but it just keeps going deeper and deeper into the earth and I keep running into tons of not-so-easy enemies. I mean, skeletons (of all kinds) are a breeze if it's just 2-3 of them, but with 5+ they keep knocking down fighters and performing backstabs. Very hard to manage sometimes. I got Morrigan the flame spell which works well against undead, but things always get messy with friendly fire. :P

And yesterday night at 3.30 AM I'd just beaten a TOUGH magic users who kept summoning undead and lightning storms...gah. In the end I just used Rinox and his insane HP to draw fire from him and have Morrigan and Leiliana pelt him with arrows and magic. Took me at least 40 minutes to take him down, including 2 or 3 emergency potion making from Morrigan to keep Rinox alive throughout. :roll:

And now my inventory is BULGING with items and I can't pick anything up because I haven't performed the inventory upgrade yet...mmm but maybe now that I'm filthy rich I should just buy the extra backpacks. We'll see.

Big, forgotten ruins with a dragon and having to go back to town to sell of loot...feels like BG2. :twisted:

Someone call PETA btw!

- Coach

Last edited by Rinox on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:10 am
Stranger

My dear friend, that dragon, was not the dragon. You will find out the true dragon soon enough. Heh :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:16 pm
Stranger

Ox by now you should have met the person on the picture. Which way did you go with this quest? She's one of the best designed characters in the game so far imo. When she put on angry face i seriously thought she could reach out of the display and slap me :D Pity she only makes such a short appearance.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:49 pm
Minor Diety

Oh yeah, she's a great character. :) It's a great quest too. Believe it or not, but I managed to do things peacefully. See spoiler way down the page.

And yeah, I met a REAL dragon by now, you were very right. :P The one I met in the ruins in the Brecilian Forest was also called "dragon", but clearly wasn't anywhere near as strong or big as the...other one. I didn't even manage to scratch it/her yet. :( But then it's been a while since I tried and I'm level 15-16 now, so...

Playing on hard is starting to kick my ass a bit. In a long, LONG quest like the time you spend in the Deep Roads in order to gain Orzimmar's support, I tend to run out of healing potions before the final battle and I really need healing potions to win boss bottles. :o Lots of them. Morrigan is pretty good at making them by now but still, costly business. I beat the Deep Roads in the end though, by the skin of my teeth (mostly thanks to golems being slow and stupid).

Peltz have you been to Orzimmar yet? And The mages' circle? And what's your party? Mine's Sten, Morrigan and Leliana. I replaced Leliana with Shale for a while, but he had an erhm, accident. :roll: But Shale is friggin awesome. Probably the funniest NPC I've seen in a long while, and extremely useful at that with his special skills.

Dragon Age is officially the best fantasy CRPG since BG2, and I am LOVING it. So compelling, so brutal, such a rich lore and background, a vast world to explore and difficult choices to make...wow. The combat gets a lot of flak but I don't really see why. Sure, it's a lot different from D&D mechanics, but that's not a bad thing I think. The only "problem" is that it takes a lot of forward planning as a mage to get your spells right, I think. With Morrigan I had her go almost exclusively elemental magic...she's got the fire, frost and lightning trees all filled out. Ideal for those pesky groups of archers. :twisted:

SPOILER WARNING

I convinced Zaethrian (or something) to lift the curse, thereby killing himself and Whitefang and returning the human villagers to their original forms. So maybe I weakened the Elven leadership a bit for my army, but I solved the conflict without too much bloodshed.

- Coach

Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:33 am
Stranger

I've done the mages circle, i think its the one i have liked the best so far. I also did the Redcliff castle and village (thats where i suffered my first true party wipe, and ive died loads of times since so normal is no cakewalk but probably more forgiving with the random mobs than hard mode)

I am currently doing the orzammar line, I just crossed the cutscene rift. I havent done Denerim, i'm saving it for the last.

As for party setup i lay waste to the enemy in the following manner: Me as the crowd control with ice cone, sleep, waking nightmare, horror etc. I have Alistair as the tank, Leliana as the random dps/stun (mostly melee but i use her bow skills in combats where it is not wise to have two melee characters since some boss mobs can multihit) and Wynne handles the healing. In orzammar i use the dorf and Shale because i want to experience their quest line. I havent read any spoilers on shale other than the bioware shale video but im guessing that Shale's story is bound to trigger/happen in Orzammar since Golems are their invention but thats just a guess.

My main has the Arcane warrior specialty, with one free point to spend. He is currently level 15. The difference in tanking between a two hander and shield user is quite significant. The Dorf is pretty much taken out in each fight, he's constantly mopping the floor with his red facial hair whereas Shale and Alistair have quite the staying power.
My inventory is at 110 and it is still too little :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:30 am
Minor Diety

I'm also saving Denerim for last...should be heading there right now (also because I have to find something there for the second part of the Redcliffe quest). And yeah, that defense thing was pretty hard. I managed to do it on the first try but only because I was already level 15 by then I think. Oh and when everyone but Rinox wiped when defending down on the village square I just had him tow groups of 5-6 undead up to the knights at the mill so they could help out. :lol: Did that 3 times before the fight ended....long battle indeed.

And yeah, I have to save often in order not to risk running into a random darkspawn ambush while travelling and thus losing game progress. Those random encounters usually end with just one character standing, me or Morrigan. I hear what you're saying on the two-handed thing...Sten does MASSIVE damage with greatswords and hammers, but goes down almost every tough battle even with a very high AC and defense value. The trick is to have Rinox, the main tank, use skills like threaten en taunt and to forbid Sten to use them. :lol: Disengage works well too once a boss goes after him.

I killed Wynne early in the Mages Circle quest. :roll: I didn't know she was an NPC. So I have no healers whatsoever (Morrigan doesn't know any healing spells).

Have fun beyond the rift...it's tough, but really well-done. It's probably the toughest area as a whole that I've done so far in the game. I'm curious what your choice will be at the end. :P

Oh and re: inventory...you should really install that mod that I linked earlier that gives you a storage chest in your basecamp. Solves a lot of problems. I can get around with an inventory of 80 so...

http://social.bioware.com/project/463/

- Coach

Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:51 am
Minor Diety

Sounds like you've got a lot done! I'm planning on playing later tonight though currently the game is being a little bit of a bitch whenever I try to leave camp and surrounds me with a ton of wolves (I'm only lvl 8, don't bully me).

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Why should we bully you, it took me three tries to kill a pack of wolves because they kept pinning down my warrior and then ate the rogue and my mage has 2 or 3 damage spells. I think there were like 8-12 wolves, so they took turns as to who gets to eat the rogue and pin down the warrior.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:14 pm
Minor Diety

Haha, yeah, I freaking hate the overpower ability of some animals/beasts. They can totally tear a character apart with it in a few seconds. :(

I'm in Denerim now, fighting gangs of bandits in back alleys mostly and getting positively raped. I think the difficulty is scaled to some extent, cause I can't really imagine that's it normal for my party to hang on by the skin of its teeth against your run of the mill bandit gang, using potent health potices and with Morrigan casting blizzard and tempest on top of each other just to make sure I survive the archer barrage long enough to take out the melee hitters. :o

Still, I'm still progressing. And if I managed to beat some other parts of the game before (Peltz probably knows already what is waiting beyond the rift in the Deep Roads), I should be able to continue on hard. It's certainly a challenge...most regular tough human fighters can damage my fighters pretty hard in 1-on-1 combat.

But I've got an idea: Rinox has 80 or so physical resistance, and with one or two nice boosting items I should be possible to put it to 100%. That should help. :twisted:

- Coach

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:35 am
Stranger

Well i read the description on the physical resistance and apparently its the skill that helps you avoid being knocked over, so it has absolutly nothing to do with resisting damage. The armor rating on the other hand sais that it directly affects the damage you receive because it is subtracted from the weapons armor penetration or something. And the defence skill is used to calculate the miss and parry chances.

So for the moment i believe that the resist physical has nothing to do with how much damage you can sustain.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:42 am
King

I'm in Denerim now, fighting gangs of bandits in back alleys mostly and getting positively raped. I think the difficulty is scaled to some extent, cause I can't really imagine that's it normal for my party to hang on by the skin of its teeth against your run of the mill bandit gang, using potent health potices and with Morrigan casting blizzard and tempest on top of each other just to make sure I survive the archer barrage long enough to take out the melee hitters. :o:

I swear I thought the same thing. That quest to kill the Bandits in the back ally. That was proabably the hard fight next to sloth demon. Every fight like that ends up with me using every potion I have. The game is just harder than normal.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:24 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Gotta love it though...we've been pelted to death by pansy games lately. ;)

Some more pics from my game. No spoilers, but crappy res (they're from the Bioware social site thingie).

- Coach

Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:39 am
Minor Diety

I renamed this thread slightly so we could talk about the game and plot without pissing anyone off. :) So...for all of you yet to play or finish it:

MEGASPOILERS

Man, I kept losing party members!! I never picked up the dog (by accident), killed Wynn when i first met her, Zehvran backstabbed me with the Antivian Crows, Shale went crazy on my ass when I chose to save the anvil of the void (killed her) and Allistair left in anger when I made Anora queen and decided that Loghain shouldn't be executed. :o

Thankgod my main party was me, Sten, Leliana and Morrigan. So I didn't care too much. Towards the end Loghain took Leliana's place...he's an amazing support fighter. :)

So Peltz, how did your game end? Mine with Anora on the throne, Loghain alive, Morrigan gone (did you do her romance?), and no one sacrificing himself. Also, I made the queen swear allegiance to Orzimmar and together we reclaimed much of the lost thaigs in the Deep Roads. :) Oh and was made into a living Paragon!

Some fights were incredibly hard, but rewarding. I'm looking forward to replaying the game with another origin, so maybe I shoulddn't ask for too many spoilers. ;) But whatever right? You probably played a lot different as a persuasive mage.

EDIT: Oh and LMAO @ Sandal. Enchantments?

- Coach

Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:57 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: Dragon Age: Rinox' Origins (Spoiler thread)
My 'primary' main character, Rinox the Terrible. Champion/Berserker specialization, fighting sword and shield style. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Coach

Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]