It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
To Dragon Age, or not to Dragon Age... 
Minor Diety

I dislike Alistair :P Well, not really. He's a really well-made character and very believeable, but he just rubs me the wrong way. Oh and if you're planning to take him and Morrigan both along you'll LOVE the bickering.

They even bicker 'outside of conversation', like when you're walking in a town. Very cool. I honestly think you'll warm up to Morrigan more than to Alistair too, but seeing as you're not "that way" I doubt you'll lavish her with as much attention as most people here. :roll:

Also, I like the way they dealt with the "death" system, the way you will suffer from a permanent injury (or injuries) after going down but don't have to go through the whole rez-rest-rez business every time. A very elegant middle path between hardcore and ease-of-use. People go down a LOT in my game. :(

Oh and Pev, I suggest you get ready for the joining. :D Things will get even better. Your char looks like the classic Pev RPG character! Tho she looks a little silly with that hat on (inventory screen on your profile). ;)

I just added you and Peltz as friends. Not much on there though (I disabled the automatic screenshot option early on so most of my rise from the casteless is missing).

My dwarven commoner...he's 2 levels higher atm than in the pic

Inventory pic

- Coach

Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:36 am
Minor Diety

Oh and I picked up two pretty freaking gross talents by drinking a potion without reading the 'manual' first (it was lying right next to the potion, but then my dwarf is a little thick). :roll: They're useful, but let's just say you wouldn't let me use them in your living room.

- Coach

Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:17 am
Minor Diety

One very good argument for getting into this game is that the steam forums section for DA doesn't really have any posts bashing the game. The opposite example I remember is ArmA2 and EmpireTW which 1 in 2 threads was bashing the game. More recently with OpFlash2. In my experience, this ratio is a very good indicator.

Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:49 am
Minor Diety

Well I wouldn't really say steam forums are a great representation of common sense (remember the L4D2 boycott), but I can vividly imagine there being very little criticism of DA. You'll always have whiners, of course, but it's hard to knock something with so few flaws.

The most "'negative" reviews I've read (in the high 80ies percentile) are mostly negative in a "it's not BG 3" kind of way. Which is a bit unfair to any game.

- Coach

Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:00 am
Minor Diety

If you're a Derf-stylke loot whore, you may find yourself running out of inventory space. This creates a chest in your main camp for excess l00tz.

http://social.bioware.com/project/463/

Alternatively, you could just go into the game files and change the size of your party inventory manually:

1. open up your savegame with extension of .das
2. open up savegame_partylist
3. change savegame_max_item to 999.
4. save, load your game, done.

Also, toolset has been released. Supposed to be very impressive (didn't try it yet myself).

- Coach

Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:56 am
Minor Diety

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:20 am
Minor Diety

Not really. The inventory is pretty big (80 items or so) and more than big enough to fit every item you need in normal play. But if you're a total lootwhore and/or don't make enough runs to the merchants, you might find yourself out of space. It's just easier.

- Coach

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:34 am
Minor Diety

Lol looking typically oxy there. I was reading in the guide today a little about the chars (and trying to avoid spoilers) but I found out you can have three and foursomes with certain chars! No wonder people were whining about the sex lol.

Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

You can buy backpacks which increase the inventory by 10 items.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:03 pm
Minor Diety

I saw that too yesterday...still, spending money on inventory capacity seems so...MMORPG. Now if it was a bag of holding or something equally awesome, then sure. But you're just paying for an 80 instead of 70 number. :( So I'm cheating around it.

My party is finding its footing. Me as the tank, another warrior for major damage with two-handed weapons, Morrigan as a mage and a rogue for archery/roguey stuff. Went to Soldier's Peak and currently busy trudging through the Brecilian Forests. Damn pansy Dalish Elves. :P I absolutely love the quest so far though.

And Pev, three- and foursomes?! Jeez. I kissed Morrigan once or twice (she's digging my style apparently) but that's as far as it goes. :roll: I don't know if I want to see an ugly dwarf doing the digital dirty anyway...

- Coach

Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:24 am
Minor Diety

Rofl yeah tell me about it, just started to lol so hard when I read that at work.

Anyway day off today, day full of DA for me, as tempting as MW2 is, DA is gonna win ;)

Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:34 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

My party goes like this, me as the mage 1, im the crowd control, ice cone and sleep, plus a few heals if necessary, Alistair as the tank and Leliana as the dps and Wynne as the healer. My fights are slow but usually very controlled and im progressing nicely without too many reloads. I have some trouble when im soloing because of the lack of dps.

I agree on the backpack thing, how many backpacks can a person wear? :D but i do not intend to go around it yet. Im just going with the flow and ill leave the mad planning for the next playthrough (like i did with NWN2).

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:37 am
Minor Diety

Sounds nice Peltz. I've just finished the battle and gained Morrigan. The last battle was painful! Still, managed it without any losses other than the two idiot soldiers that come with you anyway.

Alastair approves +5 now, woot! I've got me as the healer/crowd control with a little dps, Alastair as the tank and Morrigan is going to do some dps for me until more options open up. I'm going to get Dog I think, just because. I'm sure it won't be the best companion I could take but I don't care :P hehe. Could do with a rogue, already seen too many boxes I couldn't loot due to no lockpicking skill!

Also kinda agree on the backpack thing, but buying them anyway. Up to 90 slots now. I don't like modding games as a general rule so I'll stick with wearing as many backpacks as I can fit.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:41 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

That friggin thing took me 10 tries to take down. :? But when I met another one a few levels later it was easy enough to take it down. You should have seen my dwarf jumping for its jugular! :lol:

I have a sneaky feeling Pev has a little thing going on for Alistair... :roll:

Sounds like you're having fun though! Very cool to hear how yçu guys' mages are coping.

- Coach

Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:03 am
Minor Diety

lol I freaking love Alistair! He just told me how he was raised by flying dogs... how can you not love a guy like that? Just reached Lothering now, really enjoying the slower pace of this game compared to things like Sacred 2. Makes a change to actually have a good amount of dialog that isn't the same old "oooh someone did something to me and now I need to explain to you in 10 pages why you should kill 5 goblins to get a reward out of me"

Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:15 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next