It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Kotor problems 
Minor Diety

Post Kotor problems
So a couple of colleagues want me to play Kotor to see how an rpg fan finds it who hasn't seen SW. And I'm trying, I really am, but for some reason it crashes every 5 minutes! I'm still on the damn tutorial section. I get no error and am running it on XP (vista I'd expect it on). It's fully patched. Any ideas or known issues?

CPU: AMD 64 3500+
Gfx: nVidia GeForce 7950GTX
2 Gb RAM
XP

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I don't know anything, but I found something saying that the game has issues with multi-core CPUs. The trick is to start the game, tab out, and set the processor affinity to a single processor.

In case you're like Shiny and have forgotten everything you once knew about PCs.... :roll:

start game
alt-tab to your desktop
hit ctrl-shift-escape to bring up task manager (or right-click the task bar and choose task manager... or hit ctrl-alt-delete and choose task manager)
In the processes tab, find the kotor process... it'll probably be called swkotor.exe.
right click it and choose 'set affinity'
uncheck all but one box and hit ok
close task manager
tab back into your game

that should work. You have to set affinity every time you launch the game... there's no way to automate it.

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Have you tried running it in win98 compatibility mode? Right-click the exe, go to properties, go to compatibility tab. I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

1. It might be the graphics driver, i found this but the user doesnt specify which nvidia card he has.

Quote:
After searching the forums some more, I found that someone had a blast with the 174.74 drivers.

I will update this post as i find new stuff.

2. Some more related to GPU

Quote:
I was having a lot of problems playing this game on vista. What I did was go into the 3d settings for my nvidia card. Change the open gl setting for this game from controlled by my card to controlled by game. I haven't had anymore crashes.

3. Some related to .ini

Quote:
Problem solved, so it seems. Someone posted in another thread that the game may have trouble running on an 8 series or higher nVidia card, and that the solution to the problem is this:

Open the swkotor.ini in the game directory in notepad and add the line Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 to the end of the graphics section.

After adding that to my .ini file, the game hasn't crashed once. Awesome.

4. Theres some bug with auto-saving, so try disabling that.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:56 pm
Minor Diety

Thanks guys, I'll try all that. Yes, sorry satis but I am, my pc generally kicks ass but my cpu really lets me down. Can't afford the upgrade though :cry:

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:42 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

What kind of crash is it? CTD without error?

Try using vsync with triple buffering.

Found this too:

Quote:
There is a memory leak and it seems to be related to having soft shadows & frame buffer effects turned on. It also depends on which graphics drivers your using. For those experiencing this problem, go into the advanced graphics menu and switch both off. You'll see the leak stops.

Also, Peltz' suggestion on the Disable Vertex Buffer thing is good too.

One of these is bound to do the trick. It's a memory leak for sure, I just don't know what is causing it exactly. :)

- Coach

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]