It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Alpha Protocol 
Stranger

Post Re: Alpha Protocol
Yea i think i am addicted to Tropico's music, whenever its silent i can hear that theme music, i must be going crazy :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri May 28, 2010 10:53 am
Stranger

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/alp ... eo/6264109

Damn, Gamespot review destroys the game. Good thing i watched the review, waiting for it to be patched is a must.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri May 28, 2010 11:19 am
Felix Rex

ah, so perhaps my jade is not without merit. :mrgreen:

Fri May 28, 2010 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol. Here's the metacritic turnout so far

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... haprotocol

Crap. You'd think with the extra time they had they'd streamline the game for release...guess not. Stupid industry. :/

I guess this will be one to pick up when it's at a 5€ sale or something. Doesn't interest me enough for more given this reception.

- Coach

Sat May 29, 2010 8:42 am
Felix Rex

hm...there's only 4 reviews on metacritic... 3 from no-name sites that are 80+, and one from gamespot at 60. Seems questionable. I'd like to see a few more reviews before I pass complete judgement.

Sat May 29, 2010 9:11 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... col/100743

Here's the gametrailers review, which confirms everything in the Gamespot review. Score was 6.4 if i remember correctly.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat May 29, 2010 12:34 pm
Felix Rex

yeesh, that doesn't look good. thanks for the link. Looks like this is a game to avoid. Maybe Alpha Protocol 2 will be better. :roll:

Sun May 30, 2010 8:20 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Well they obviously forgot the more important Beta Protocol :D

Edit: I wonder what kind of gimp posed for the sneaking animation :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun May 30, 2010 9:18 am
Felix Rex

haha, yea, that sneaking animation is horrific. He looks like he got corn-holed. The shooting mechanics are pretty crap too.

Sun May 30, 2010 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I got Alpha Protocol during the Christmas sale (2.5 € haha) and just finished it. Overall it's enjoyable, except for one thing that kills a lot of the fun: the camera (mouse-handled) to circle around your character is sloowwwww. So if you need to turn around or take a quick look in a direction, it's a lot of wrist-killing mouse work. :( Worst part is that there's not even a mouse sensitivity option in the options and even when I edited the .ini to improve it, nothing happened.

I played through the game regardless since it's not that long and because I was having fun. My 'special agent' looked completely ridiculous, lumberjack beard, reflective glasses, bandana and dark skin. :roll: I also played the game like a total jackass. Talking shit to everyone I meet (sometimes it even worked), killing every 'witness'; even if they were civilians, cops, CIA, NSA or military, striking deals with crime lords for money in exchange for their lives or other stuff. It was glorious. In the end I basically killed everyone I met, except one of the chicks who went off in the sunset with me. :lol:

The best part was being a spy but never ever giving a shit about cameras, being noticed or making casulaties. My only tactic consisted of running into a building in combat armor and with a pimped out shotgun, shooting everyone in the face. I kicked in every door I've used in the entire game (there were a lot). I didn't even bother with turning off the alarms anywhere. Best part was when my handler was going batshit over the voice comm as I was gunning down US marines guarding an embassy, saying "Michael those are American citizens!!". I was like...whaaa I'm covert ops, i'd be suspicious if I didn't kill them. Sheesh. Also, no witnesses policy doesn't end with US citizens.

I'm almost tempted to replay the game stealth style and to become a blind zealot patriot corporate stooge this time. If I can get over the mouse control.

EDIT: I think you should be able to see this

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... tab=public

- Coach

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:42 am
Felix Rex

BTW, I've been playing this game and it's really not bad. I enjoyed it. I finished my first playthrough doing the good-guy thing. The final mission was a bit annoying, but overall, with my adjustable sensitivity mouse, it was so horrible. The worst part was a part at the end where you have to use a sniper rifle while getting sniped and naded. It's screwed up... mouse sensitivity is crappy when you're running around, then too damned sensitive when you're zoomed in. I had to play with mouse sensitivity heavily on that part.

At any rate, I'm doing playthrough two with the rookie option turned on and me being a bastard. I'm doing my best to be a total douche to the people I befriended the first time through.
In the first game, I befriended Saheed, turned people over to the police, had sex with Mina and Scarlet, turned down M22, turned down working for Halbech, and shot Scarlet in the face at the end. :roll: I plan on reversing most of those decisions this time through.

First time I specialized in rifles, sneaking and tech stuff. This time I'm doing pistols, hand-to-hand and probably toughness. That's gonna make some parts difficult, since my rifle skills will suck, but we'll see how things go. I'll probably need alot of emp to get past computers and locks.

some pics. A dude's head stuck through a door
Attachment:
2011-07-16_00003.jpg

and me at the end with Mina
Attachment:
2011-07-19_00001.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

WHy would you want Mina? She's all cold fish and everything. :P

:rifle: I befriended Saheed too, killed tons of CIA and NSA (and US army), was raped by Sie and had sex with Scarlett, turned down Albatross' organisation (M22?), turned down Halbech, killed Mina (long story), then convinced Scarlett to go on a killing spree with me at the end and together we took down everything and sailed off in the sunset on a yacht. :P I prioritised financial profit, investing in armor and weapons and my personal safety/future above all during the entire game.

Curious to see how your hand to hand dude will fare in the end-game. :)

I didn't use any of the technical skills btw - since none of them actualyl seemed to help much with the hacking or locks. Still had to do the mini game etc.

- Coach

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:52 am
Felix Rex

The technical skills make the alarms and stuff easier. Since I have no skills in it this game, I regularly gets access panels with 10 electrodes and crap. In my last game, I rarely went about 6, but I had high skill.

Anyway, I'm still coming along. I haven't spent a dime on anything yet, plus I keep selling info on the black market and extorting chinese crime lords and whatnot. I have over $250,000, I think, so when the level 3 weapons become available, I'll be doing good. For now... kinda tough.

I find myself not using much hand to hand... mostly pistols. that skill tree rocks. I'm hoping to have enough skill points available so I can bump up my stealth some... right now it's not so great. But I keep wanting to bump up toughness or pistols more, y'know? We'll have to see. I may replay again as veteran... I'm sure you'll start with extra skill points, like you start with absolutely none as a rookie (which I'm doing now).

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I never really knew what made the difference between rookie and veteran. For some reason the game wouldn't let me pick the veteran option, not even on the start of my second game. Weird.

- Coach

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:29 pm
Felix Rex

In order to pick veteran, you have to play through a game as rookie.

With rookie, you start with absolutely no skills. With veteran, you start with a bunch of skills. Please each give you a few different answer choices in some parts. Not a huge difference, but enough.

I'm playing as veteran now. Having played the game so damned much, I'm starting to really appreciate how nuanced the character interactions are. A lot of stuff does or doesn't happen depending on how other things played out. My second game, Scarlet didn't put in an appearance at the end at all. I ended up sailing off into the sunset by myself, since I let a certain someone die. :roll:

Playing as veteran is fun. I went with high sneak and submachine guns. They're actually not bad at all, though I'm nervous about the ending.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next