It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Obsidian/Bethesda working on new Fallout title, "New Ve 
Minor Diety

Post Obsidian/Bethesda working on new Fallout title, "New Ve
Little information about it except the title though:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=23276

Quote:
Bethesda Softworks announced that Obsidian Entertainment is developing a brand-new Fallout game titled Fallout: New Vegas, to release next year on PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

Gamasutra was at Bethesda's event in London to hear the game announced by marketing and PR VP Pete Hines, who provided few specifics on the game's engine, gameplay or perspective -- but did note the game is neither a Fallout 3 sequel nor a spin-off.

"It's not Fallout Tactics -- it's not Brotherhood Of Steel. It's another Fallout game," said Hines. "It has no impact on what [Bethesda Game Studios game director] Todd Howard and his guys are planning."

A number of Obsidian staff, are veterans of Black Isle's original Fallout games. The company's CEO, Feargus Urquhart, was instrumental in founding Black Isle, and served as its director.

Hines said Bethesda approached Obsidian to work on the title. "We've really been enjoying working with [Obsidian] on it," he said, adding, "That is all we're going to say about it right now."

Derf, you must like this news (see bold). :) Since it's Obsidian and it's the Fallout franchise I guess we can assume it's an RPG - even if Hines is being a bit vague about it. He says what it's NOT, ie a TBS tactical game or action game, so that's a pretty good indication of it being an RPG. But still...we'll have to wait and see.

If Obsidian get the time to do things properly in a tried-and-true engine like F3's (not their own technically speaking awful NWN2 engine) this might just be a little gem...

- Coach

Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:33 am
Felix Rex

It's a pen and paper board game that's been put on a console.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Hehehe. Latest news is that J.E. Sawyer is project lead and lead designer (Sawyer was lead designer on the Fallout RPG that was set up to become F3 before Interplay went bust). And with urquheart and Avellone they've got 2 of the other key figures of the old Black Isle crew at Obsidian. Only Leonard Boyarski's missing really.

You can't help but think that these guys are thrilled - they get to work on their 'own' franchise again after all those years. Fallout 1 and 2 are their games. Getting the opportunity to actually do what they wanted to do with Fallout 3 before Interplay blew up must be like christmas for these guys.

I'm excited. :P

- Coach

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:33 am
Stranger

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6249453.html

Apparently theres going to be some announcement event on this game either today or tomorrow or soon. Lets hope for some footage.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:12 am
Stranger

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut ... -new/61576

Heres the debut trailer.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:49 am
Minor Diety

Wait, the nazis from Wolfenstein are in New Vegas? :lol:

Regardless, I have high hopes for this. Fallout 3 was a great game, and having the old Black Isle guys working on a Fallout game with the experience and the engine of Bethesda is just too much of a prospect to pass on. :)

- Coach

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:55 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: Obsidian/Bethesda working on new Fallout title, "Ne
Rinox wrote:
this might just be a little gem...

The video doesn't float my boat:

- The robot is retardedly faffing without effect.
- The buried hand looks fresh.
- The dudes cloak is pristine

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:37 pm
Minor Diety

The hand may be fresh - the nuclear holocaust was ages ago. It's a graveyard outside Las Vegas. People still die. :roll:

The dude's cloak...did you see the flag he was holding? NCR - New California Republic. Even back in Fallout 2 the NCR was one of the most prosperous, connected and well-structured movements in the wastelands. If anyone would have access to goodies like nice coats and equipment, it'd be them or the Brotherhood of Steel. :P

The robot, perhaps. We'll see what his purpose actually is. probably not grabbing sand and then replacing it like in the vid.

But dude, the NCR! New Vegas! Obsidian! Fallout universe!! What's not to love?

- Coach

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:48 am
Minor Diety

Did some more research...looks like New Vegas is gonna be like a F3 that returns to the roots of the franchise:

- There is an optional hardcore mode, the character needs to drink water, ammo has weight, healing isn't instant etc. Normal mode is more similar to Fallout 3 gameplay.

- There are both dumb and intelligent super mutants, including the elite Nightkin. (like in F1 and 2)

- NCR base is the McCarran Airport, Caesar's Legion is based in the Vegas Strip, while super mutants are based in a place called Black Mountain. There is also a town called Fremont and another called Primm. A topless reuve is mentioned as being in the latter. Area 51 also appears. (reminiscent of New Reno in F2 - gang wars, more edge/dirt)

- Skills have a bigger effect on conversation choices. E.g. someone with a high Explosives skill may be able to have a coversation about explosives where appropriate. (like in F2)

- Bartering is not just lower prices but negotiating for better rewards.
- All dialogue options are shown to all players, regardless of whether you have the stats to succeed or not, though there's no punishment for failure. (like in F2)

-There is a Reputation system for each settlement like in Fallout 2 in adition to Karma. (like in F2)

-Followers can be managed through a context-sensitive menu, with orders like "follow", "stay" or "attack".

Apparently, Vegas has been largely spared of the Nuclear holocaust as well, so more buildings and intact tech than in for example F3.

- Coach

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:02 am
Minor Diety

Well, your info does brighten the prospects a little. Hopefully it will be more than just a FO3 conversion / mod.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:10 pm
Minor Diety

/me sees a glinstering in Derf's jade upon the mentioning of a 'hardcore mode'

- Coach

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:45 am
Minor Diety

Hardcore mode for the win, though to this day I've never completed a fallout! (Yes, I know, it's a crime!) but still, I will nock-off fallout 3 at some point.

So long as this game doesn't have MP mode it'll be lowon my to-buy list though; as games with MP in maintain their price better than those that don't have MP modes.

Still, looking forward to Gameplay trailer!

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:22 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I'm with you Mole, and since I didn't like F3, chances are it will stay this way for me.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:39 am
Stranger

Just substitute the forum with game and thats about the only reason why singleplayer games are always better experience. There are just too many masters of the universe on internet.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:34 am
Felix Rex

That's probably the best thing about PvP games.. the ability to go out and silence annoying bitches. :twisted:

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next