It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Risen 
Stranger

Post Risen
This a new rpg developed by the makers of the Gothic series (except the last installment, 4th). While the gothic series had some of the best stuff ive seen in any game when it comes to living and breathing world the game was notorious for its buginess, for gothic 3, the community actually made many patches and the last one was 800mb in size (talk about devotion).

So the original devs are prepping a new game, new universe, new place in a game called Risen. Check out some of the footage @ gametrailers.com

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/risen/10213

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:12 am
Stranger

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48638.html
Harbor trailer.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48640.html
Riverbank trailer.

Can already see the countless hours melting away at this game.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:50 am
Minor Diety

Looking very good...thanks for the linkage Peltz. :)

- Coach

Fri May 01, 2009 4:28 am
Felix Rex

not to talk too much trash about risen, but having watched the riverbank trailer, there are a few things I wish had been fixed in games that still hasn't.

1. Flying enemies: Flying insects don't just hover in one spot. Usually they're on the ground, or they fly around. So how come flying insect stuff in games just hovers in one spot until it sees you?

2. Creatures don't look the same. Take 2 boars, put them next to each other, and they look completely different. can't we at least get some variance in texture maps?

3. Creatures turning. When a creature turns, it doesn't pivot around its axis. It places its feet where it wants to go and arcs its body, but if a foot is on the ground it stays where it is, it doesn't 'slide' around in a semicircle.

4. Walking: When things walks forward, their feet stay where they're placed. so how come when you see creatures in games walking, they do a moonwalk looking thing? If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out the dwarves or whatever at the end of the riverfront trailer and watch their feet.

Anyway, it's not really a criticism of this game, more games in general. They're just little minor annoyances that should've been fixed 10 years ago. :evil:

Fri May 01, 2009 5:09 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Definitely going to wait on reviews for this game. Gothic 3 was so buggy.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri May 01, 2009 5:33 am
Minor Diety

They're just little minor annoyances that should've been fixed 10 years ago. :evil:

Kinda like the jews then?

(I'M KIDDING)

Can you see why people who don't know me well get freaked out after a night at the bar with me? :roll: I can't fucking help it. Yesterday, at work, one of my older, fat colleagues (about a 120 kilos I would guess, for an average height woman) was telling a story about how she was doing volunteer work learning little foreign kids the sounds animals make, you know, "the cow says...?" etc.

Since the kids don't understand Dutch yet she had to act out the animals, clearly. So when she spread her arms and waved them around and said she was portraying a bird, I went "Yeah, but they probably thought you were portraying a hippo every time anyway".

Result: a room full off shocked co-workers. The woman didn't turn up the next day. I wonder if it had anything to do with that. :roll: I sometimes don't know how far I can take these things. :)

- Coach

Fri May 01, 2009 5:36 am
Stranger

Well you can always tell em that you are like Chandler (from Friends). You make stupid jokes when you are nervous. :D

Edit: I dont think that modelling the most life-like animal is at the top of their priority list.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri May 01, 2009 5:39 am
Felix Rex

Meh... realistic gravity is just part of the work flow. Making realistic movement should be part of it too.

@Ox, your ass is gonna get fired some day. Hell, I still get talked to about being too mean to people that obviously deserve it because they're stupid. :roll:

Fri May 01, 2009 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Apparently Risen is making already headlines, read more here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6215052.html

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:36 am
Felix Rex

long live freedom! I guess they're all descended from criminals anyway, they're probably used to this kinda thing. :wink:

Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/risen/do ... 30804.html

Risen demo available, downloading it right now. I'll post my thoughts after i have given it a spin. The download itself is about 1,2Gb.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:15 am
Stranger

Unfortunately the demo is bugged and cant be installed. Heh. The installer rolled a 1 and critically failed.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:01 am
Stranger

Ok i got some play time in now with the demo (had to download it from a different source). What i can say is that the game looks good graphically, the environment has that semi realistic look (with grass and plants and trees that look really good with the lighting effects) and the inventory and items in backpack have a slight artistic touch so overall the games graphical side is really good.

Unfortunately i cant shake the feeling of been there and done that. I was immedietly butchered by some wolves and boars which reminded me that this is indeed a spiritual successor to gothic series and stuff dont just roll over and die, have to work for your kills.

Since the demo is so short i cant really tell much but from what i learned from Gothic series it shares the same fundamental characterstics with Oblivion and Morrowind which would be a large amount of linear fetching quests that are fun for about 15minutes (hence the reason why i never finished any of these games).

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:37 am
Minor Diety

It got a very good review in my gaming magazine, 87%, which is high but not a total classic in their rating (94% is the highest they ever awarded iirc; and 90 is extremely good).

Pros:

- Good story
- Challenging combat
- Freedom in picking skills
- Atmospheric open world

Cons:

- Some continuity bugs

- Coach

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:38 am
Felix Rex

I'll be waiting to hear more about it. If it's really as good as that seems to imply, I'll check it out though. Having never played Gothic I really don't know what to expect.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]