It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Age of Decadence 
Minor Diety

Post Age of Decadence
An hard-core indie RPG with focus on dialogue, story and so forth. :) It's set for fall this year.

Quote:
The Age of Decadence is an isometric, turn-based, single-player 3D role-playing game set in a low magic, post-apocalyptic fantasy world, inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire. The game features a detailed skill-based character system, non-linear gameplay, multiple skill-based ways to handle quests, choices & consequences, and extensive dialogue trees.

Fallout Roman Empire? Hawt!

Also, check out the interview the project lead gave to rockpapershotgun...I think you'll find that he's making a lot of sense. And showing a lot of righteous anger about the dimmification of the RPG market. :P

Excerpts:

[quote]RPS: Okay - Influences then. What influenced your thinking about the game - and I mean, in specifics rather than generalities. In what ways did other games open your eyes, make you realise this is what games could be and why were they wonderful?

Vince: Fallout – a masterpiece that redefined role-playing and set a new standard.
Planescape - reading in a game has NEVER been so much fun, and according to Avellone, never will be.
Darklands - it’s easier to list what you couldn’t do in that game than what you could do. It saddens me that a game of that caliber won’t be made again, but hey, who needs gameplay when you can look at shiny next-generation graphics? m i rite?
XCOM - The king of turn-based gameplay. If you haven’t played it, stop reading this crap and go play it right now.
And finally, Prelude to Darkness, a brilliant indie game that nobody played:

Prelude to Darkness featured an original, very detailed setting, great TB combat system, multi-solution quests, branching main quest, and many innovative design elements. That was the game that inspired me the most. It has shown me that indie projects can easily compete with and even beat “commercialâ€

- Coach

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:22 am
Minor Diety

Looks nice, except for the turn-based combat. I really can't play games like that. To me the Baldur's Gate pausable real-time combat is the way to go.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:58 am
Minor Diety

I dunno. Well done TBS combat is not inferior to (paused) RT imho...the original Fallout games and the X-com games were all pretty hard-core TBS yet the combat feels a lot more realistic than in many RT games.

It's just a little slower, overall. :)

- Coach

Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:47 am
Minor Diety

Well, for me the turn based combat broke Fallout.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:45 am
Minor Diety

I have friends who said the same thing about Fallout, so I guess I understand. To each their own. :) I bet you're pretty stoked over Dragon Age too, given your likes for a BG-style combat system?

- Coach

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:09 am
Minor Diety

Whats the release date?

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:33 am
Minor Diety

No exact date yet, but it's supposed to be out in 2009. :)

- Coach

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:55 am
Minor Diety

I'm very excited about Dragon Age, but my ancient computer isn't. And I guess it will be a few years before I buy a new one (I'm not really a gamer anyway, I never needed the latest and greatest games and rarely talk about them). I'll definitely check this game out one way or another (everything else except the combat looks very interesting), but I won't guarantee that I like it.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]