It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
Star Wars: The Old Republic 
Felix Rex

Post Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
A quick review of hands-on play of SW:TOR from PAX

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... launch.ars

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:23 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Interesting. Been hearing and reading a lot of hate for the game so far (RPS in particular doesn't have a good vibe towards it) but I never understood why. It looked more than decent to me from everything I've seen, so this rpeview is pretty hopeful. :)

In fact, KOTOR: TOR is already allowing users to form guilds before the launch (waaaay before really, since there's no real release date yet), in order to bypass the usual MMORPG "oh shit i'm on that server" trouble. If we'd get a large enough group, thinking 4-5 people, who'd be willing to buy the game when it comes out we could give that a go. Probably should give it a few more months first though, we're not in much of a hurry I imagine.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03 ... or-guilds/

http://www.swtor.com/guilds/faq

- Coach

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:05 am
Stranger

I do not know if they will allow cross-continental play. Im still getting it though.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:45 am
Felix Rex

Shiny and I will definitely be buying, so that's 4 people guaranteed. I probably know 2 more people IRL that will get it, but not sure they're people I'd want to guild with. :roll:

Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Some very quick and vague 'research' suggests that it will likely be possible (although not as a default option).

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=272719

- Coach

Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:30 am
Minor Diety

Rather interesting hands-on (!) on RPS

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04 ... /#comments

Quote:
At the most recent event demonstrating the game I spent two days playing as an Imperial Agent. This is a Sith character, focusing on stealth, subterfuge and sabotage. And perhaps what most surprised me was that this isn’t just what defines my skill tree. It changed how I play the game.

For instance, my character’s opening story was about trying to get information from a local Hutt. But in order to do this I was going to have to go undercover. Of course this meant a mission where I had to steal the clothes of those I was imitating. But what I wasn’t expecting was my character’s voice to change. (...)

My Imperial Agent (let’s call her Impy, since the pre-chosen name was a mess of consonants and apostrophes) had a stern English accent, barking her thoughts dismissively at those deigning to speak to her. But once she went under-cover she adopted an American twang.

It’s that sort of thing – aesthetics, certainly – that make you realise TOR is something different. Especially as this is the first MMO I’ve experienced where you can be a real dick to people.

Quote:
It’s the rather elegant solution of rolling for responses. The usual options are there – friendly, ambivalent, cruel, greedy – and everyone playing can choose their preference, and then the game rolls. Certain (as yet unrevealed) aspects of characters can gain influence in these rolls, but basically it’s luck who gets to speak first. And this can have some major impacts.

I continued roleplaying as cruelly as possible, and so when given the choice to release a prisoner we’d interrogated, I opted for needlessly murdering him. My dice won. The choices the others made appeared, and they had all picked letting him live. Tee hee.

Quote:
Pleasingly, while there are “kill 10 of these” quests, they’re almost hidden. I’m sent to visit someone or other in the next town, but on the way a quest may get subtly added that if I kill ten of something I’ll get a reward. But they’re the thing I’ll encounter on my way there, and the quests seemed to ding as a natural consequence of playing, rather than something I laboriously sought. And because I was really making my way to speak to a man who had a clue for my larger quest, the lack of artifice made me far more comfortable with the extra challenge.

Quote:
The range of crafting/skill options is mystifyingly detailed. Reaching a major city, I was overwhelmed by the extraordinary number of choices. Each character can learn three skills, of which only one can be crafting. So perhaps you’ll pick Underworld Trading, Diplomacy and Archaeology? Or Sith Warrior, Bioanalysis, and Cybertech? How about Inquisitor, Skinning and Synth Weaving? I swear I’m not making these up.

Quote:
I think the crucial thing I took away from two days with the game was that I wanted to carry on. That seems pretty essential. And that’s despite playing in the most hideously hot, sweaty, stinking room packed with fifty equally hideous, hot, sweaty, stinking games journalists. Tough conditions, but not enough to put me off. It frustrates me that I can’t keep playing, and I’m pretty certain that’s the key to both a good story-led RPG and monthly subbed MMO.

Good good. :) Satis'll love the amount of professions. This is shaping up like it's exactly what I want from a MMORPG, more a singleplayer RPG I can play in co-op with friends than a WoW-style one I mean.

- Coach

Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:58 am
Felix Rex

An ars reporter went to the same preview and wrote an article:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2 ... public.ars

Very positive review as well. I'm definitely excited. Supposedly it'll be released this year, but I'm not going to hold my breath quite yet.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:51 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I wish this game would come out now.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/04/star- ... preview-2/
Quote:
The Old Republic is a massively multiplayer game that starts by condensing down, aiming to deliver an experience comparable to a single-player RPG. Then, once the quests and dialogue and twists and moral choices are in place, its overlaid with the trappings of an MMO: the groups, the clans, and the promise of glorious, shiny loot.

Wed May 04, 2011 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha. Can't wait to wave around your jedi e-peen huh?

I'm sure as fuck gonna be Sith, not sure what class yet though. Something tank-ish I'm sure.

EDIT: well, I just realized that as a Sith the only 'tankish' class is the Sith warrior, a lightsabre-wielding dude. Kinda bummed, since the republic does have a 'trooper' class, basically a combat class without lightsabres. Mm. :/ Maybe an asshole republic soldier then. :roll:

- Coach

Thu May 05, 2011 6:42 am
Felix Rex

lol. I plan on multiple alts. I definitely want a force user or two, but also want to be a bounty hunter and a smuggler. So... I'm looking at 4 characters already. :roll:

Thu May 05, 2011 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Had an email yesterday to ask me to sign up for *potential* testing. So I did. Why not eh? But the system scan to get my pc details did sod all so haven't finished the sign up yet. Still I thought it's worth a try and if I get in and it's possible I may be able to pass the testing account over to one of you guys who might actually play it ;)

dammit Satis stop replying to topics as I do!

Thu May 05, 2011 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

hehe, give me beta access and I promise to let you finish posting. :roll:

Thu May 05, 2011 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Pev probably has more chance of being called in as a tester given her XX chromosomes - I can imagine not being a dude helps. So godspeed!

(I won't take a beta key though, since I don't want to lose all progression when the game actually launches ;) )

- Coach

Fri May 06, 2011 4:23 pm
Minor Diety

Well trying the scan again now so if I get in and if I can transfer the code/access, it's all yours Satis.

Sat May 07, 2011 6:42 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

New TOR video out with E3. Makes my lightsaber ignite, tell you what.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game ... ailer.html

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next