It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
Star Wars: The Old Republic 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
I kind of promised Satis to bundle some The Old Republic info here, so here we go. Some stuff is still pretty vague so don't start hatin' right away. :P

The two epic cinematic trailers that have been released (posted them before, totally worth it if you haven't seen them):

Deceived

Hope

Classes that have been announced:

Republic: jedi consular, jedi knight, republic trooper, smuggler
Empire: sith inquisitor, sith warrior, imperial agent, bounty hunter

Playable races (known): Human, Twi'lek, Sith pureblood, Chiss, Miraluka, Miralan, Rattaki, Zabrak

We also know that each player will have his or her own ship as a 'base of operations' (aka apartment/house) and can invite other players on them. Pretty sexy. :) Some player ships:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUgXK-WjB44

Dialogue will be done in "team", that is, every player in a party participates and answers some parts of the dialogue (they will be fully voiced too). Details are still sketchy, but Bioware has repeatedly said that it'd be an important part of the story integration. I found this on the Bioware blog about it.

Quote:
Consider our multiplayer dialogue system. The Old Republic is in every way shape and form an MMO, though if a player desires to, they can solo all the way to max level – they'll be missing some great content, but we don’t want players to feel they have to group. But we really want them to want to. As such, this has been an area of ripe experimentation for us, and has led us down some fruitful paths. Multiplayer conversations, where players can cooperate or compete to respond, has proven to be fun (and often hilariously so), in our playtesting (and no, another player cannot jack your dark side score with his response). But we’re not satisfied with just extrinsic rewards – we’re now experimenting with rewards that are unlocked for helping party members with class quest objectives, and we’re generally pleased with how it’s playing.

There is a very short example of the multiplayer dialogue system. The Sith warrior and bounty hunter both give answers in the dialogue. Also some co-op gameplay between them after that.

I know that Satis and Shiny are crafting whores, kinda, so I'm sure they'll like this (very vague) remark too:

Quote:
Crafting is another area where we’ve talked a lot about community. The systems design team is not satisfied with some other crafting systems that we’ve seen, where many players craft almost exclusively for themselves. We’ve spent quite a bit of time discussing how to ensure that crafters – true dedicated crafters – can make a name for themselves and be important in their community. But that is a discussion for a future letter.

Can't be bothered with more now, getting late/early. WIll update later if I hear more.

- Coach

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:39 pm
Felix Rex

cool, thanks for the quick summary. Here's hoping the crafting system is a good one... I do enjoy serious crafting.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:43 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Rinox wrote:
There is a very short example of the multiplayer dialogue system. The Sith warrior and bounty hunter both give answers in the dialogue. Also some co-op gameplay between them after that.

You're welcome. :) Re: the piece I quoted, I forgot to post the actual video I was referring to...features dialogue cut scene + gameplay with two peeps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0nqdbiy3bE

- Coach

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:56 am
Minor Diety

Seems the old republic will have space combat :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08 ... ce-combat/

Well it's not really free-for-all combat, looks more like a minigame really. But it looks ok and they nailed the sound already. :) Cool cool.

- Coach

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:12 pm
Felix Rex

ooh, looks pretty. Here's hoping Shiny doesn't get sea sick. However, since she used to get sea sick playing FPS and now can play TF2 fairly free of vomit, perhaps things have changed.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I've recently read something about people getting sick playing FPS, in several cases it even could be solved by making minor adaptations to the game settings i believe.

lol @ "fairly free of vomit", you make it sound as if she has a bucket ready for the rare occasions when it goes wrong

~King of Thieves~

Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:54 pm
Felix Rex

lol, not really, I exaggerate. Though she truly used to feel a bit put off playing an FPS, and especially watching me play one, since I turn rather aggressively. *shrug*

What changes help alleviate the sickness?

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:28 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

There are tons of articles on it (i read about it in dutch, you won't get much info out of that i guess) i'd suggest you do a search on "fps motion sickness" or "simulation sickness".

Some that might get you started if you're really interested in it:

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid= ... topcomment

http://www.articlesbase.com/health-arti ... 00996.html

~King of Thieves~

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:00 am
Count

FPS is kinda like that but worse is space combat - ugg - too many directions to move in. Makes my belly rumble just thinking about it.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:10 am
Felix Rex

having read the linked articles at least, it basically comes down to...

1. Sit far enough back that you can see around the sides of the monitor so your frame of reference is set more solidly.
2. Faster responsiveness in games... which means faster processor, faster graphics card, maybe more RAM.
3. Buy SuperDrug X, because we want your money.

So, Shiny, wanna buy a new box yet?

Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Count

Nope I have time until the game comes out. I can wait for better, faster and cheaper until then. :bow:

Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:22 pm
Minor Diety

Hey as long as there are games like Plants vs Zombies who needs a high-end PC right? ;)

- Coach

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:14 pm
Count

I really like my plants vs. zombies game - thanks again Ox. I play it nearly every day - only when I loaded it on my laptop and started playing it - it wiped out my progress :( so I lost my zen garden I was obsessed with.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:01 pm
Minor Diety

Really? Isn't it supposed be making use of the steam cloud service since the GOTY update? I thought that would take care of your Zen Garden?

I lost mine when my laptop (on which I had the game installed) crapped out. :( Too bad, I liked it. Not OCD enough to actually pimp it to epic proportions, but I had a nice collection from playing the game once. Only one water plant, but all of the nocturnal mushrooms!

Ah, Pvz...zombie dolphins, zombie bob sled teams, the zomboni, zombie dancer...what a great little game. :) Have you tried reading the descriptions of the plants/zombies in the almanac? They're awesome.

Repeater

Repeaters fire two peas at a time.
Damage: normal (for each pea)
Firing Speed: 2x
Repeater is fierce. He's from the streets. He doesn't take attitude from anybody, plant or zombie, and he shoots peas to keep people at a distance. Secretly, though, Repeater yearns for love.

Cost: 200
Recharge: fast

Wall-nut

Wall-nuts have hard shells which you can use to protect your other plants.

Toughness: high

"People wonder how I feel about getting constantly chewed on by zombies," says Wall-nut. "what they don't realize is that with my limited senses all I can feel is a kind of tingling, like a relaxing back rub."

Cost: 50
Recharge: slow

Tall-nut

Tall-nuts are heavy-duty wall plants that can't be vaulted over.
Toughness: very high
Special: can't be vaulted or jumped over
People wonder if there's a rivalry between Wall-nut and Tall-nut. Tall-nut laughs a rich baritone laugh. "How could there be anything between us? We are brothers. If you knew what Wall-nut has done for me..." Tall-nut's voice trails off and he smiles knowingly.

Cost: 125
Recharge: slow

Flag Zombie

Flag Zombie signals a huge pile or "wave" of zombies.
Toughness: low
First encountered: Level 1-2
Special: moves faster than normal Zombies

Make no mistake, Flag Zombie loves brains but somewhere down the line he also picked up a fascination with flags. Maybe it's because the flags always have brains on them. Hard to say.

Football Zombie

Football Zombie makes the big plays.
Toughness: very high
Speed: fast
Weakness: magnet-shroom
Football Zombie gives 110 percent whenever he's on the field. He's a team player who delivers both offensively and defensively. He has no idea what a football is.

Plants vs Zombies = love

- Coach

Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:04 am
Felix Rex

<- tempted to split the topic

Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:23 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next