It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
Star Wars: The Old Republic 
Minor Diety

Isn't healing typically associated with light side force powers? Or do you mean a healer as in a hands-in, doctor sort of way? :)

The only thing I know for sure is that I'm gonna be a complete bastard. :roll:

- Coach

Sun May 10, 2009 5:08 am
Stranger

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210545/st ... nd-e3-2009

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:37 pm
Felix Rex

heh @ox, I never saw that post. :roll: I meant a doctor as in a real one, not a light force power using sissy. :p

I'm not surprised there's a smuggler class. :roll: Everyone loves Han Solo, right?

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Here's the "Decieved" Cinematic trailer. Plenty of action.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:18 am
Felix Rex

Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:14 am
Profile WWW
Count

Yay - I can't wait. I hope it does not suck.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:08 am
Minor Diety

Quote:
We see classy, stylised looking Star Wars environments and hear some great voice acting as the two characters confront the captain. At this point we see another first - a multiplayer dialogue system.

Instead of one player controlling the dialogue, all members of a party will get the chance to respond to the words of NPCs and shape the direction of the plot. In one party you could have a neutral Bounty Hunter who tries to spare lives and a ruthless Sith, and they could both be making independent decisions in dialogue that effect the play for both players.

In our demo, the Bounty Hunter character threatens the captain and in spite of him begging for his life the Sith character then chooses to strike him down.

We watch as the Sith gains Dark Side points, confirming the return of this system from the single player game. The Bioware employee points out that in an MMO, these decisions are permanent - there's no save game to go back to if you don't like the consequences of your choices!

After seeing a little bit more dialogue and more co-operative conversation choices, we're then shown a combat-heavy section of gameplay as the same ship is invaded by republic forces.

We watch as the Sith deflects blaster bolts and moves in to inflict close damage while the Bounty Hunter fires devastatingly accurate blaster fire from afar. Both players are deeply involved in the combat, and their teamwork is making everything easier.

When a Jedi shows up, our Sith character grabs him and force-chokes him, holding him helplessly in the air while the Bounty Hunter places several blaster bolts into his chest.

The combat looks highly cooperative, very KOTOR, and most of all fun. Unlike most MMO fighting, this looks good as well as plays well, taking many cues from the combat of the original KOTOR games and their presentation.

Quote:
The Bioware employees ask us to envision this play with a much larger player base, with a large team of players carrying out a mission together. This definitely, definitely excites us.

Most impressive of all was the fact that even at this stage in development this was running for real on computers in the very same room as us, with the action being controlled by servers back at Bioware Austin's base of operations.

Cool stuff.

Also, no skin in SW:TOR

http://pc.rpgsite.net/previews/144/115.html

- Coach

Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:42 am
Stranger

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gt-po ... wars/51659

Here is the same already seen Cinematic trailer but with GT dissection.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:18 am
Minor Diety

Those people have even more time on their hands than I do :lol:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/star- ... 09-preview

E3 preview of The Old Republic @ Eurogamer

- Coach

Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:37 am
Stranger

BioWare is currently indicating that it will be unwilling to let players skip or read dialogue scenes, and the rather stiff, bland and functional Bounty Hunter scene we watch makes us worried that they will slow the pace of the game to a crawl, especially for impatient, seasoned MMO players.

Well the more "seasoned" grinders can feel free to stay on the GrindCraft servers with their mules.

Quote:
Furthermore, the Smuggler negotiates fire-fights with a cover system, the first of its kind in an MMO

Erm, cover system was implemented in Tabula Rasa, sure the SW one is a bit different but in its essence it is the same thing.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:48 am
Minor Diety

Quote:
BioWare is currently indicating that it will be unwilling to let players skip or read dialogue scenes, and the rather stiff, bland and functional Bounty Hunter scene we watch makes us worried that they will slow the pace of the game to a crawl, especially for impatient, seasoned MMO players.

Well the more "seasoned" grinders can feel free to stay on the GrindCraft servers with their mules.

Hear hear. It's pretty sad that WoW has grown to such a industry MMO standard that not even games journalists seem to be able to think outside of the WoW box anymore. Bioware isn't going to beat WoW by copying it, it'll never be able to wean its grindslaves away anyway (why would they leave a game in which they're rich and well-equipped for a new game where they start on equal footing?).

The way the game sounds now, it's almost as if they're making a huge co-op RPG. I think we can all live with that. :D Throw in item fever, a good combat system and an instancing system, stir for 15 minutes and keep on the stove until boiling. :)

- Coach

Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:21 am
Minor Diety

Check this clip...on voice acting in TOR. EVERY role is completely voice-acted, which means an absolutely massive amount of voice action for the game on its whole. :o

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/07 ... more-14967

The 'evil' main character's voice is annoying tho. :P

- Coach

Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:04 pm
Minor Diety

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/ ... ckGODk.php

Quote:
The shockingly high production quality of the developer dispatch videos certainly rings true of an MMO that's closer to release than suspected. BioWare has done such an amazing job at making it look as though they're deep into development, but looks are very deceiving. A game of this magnitude definitely requires a respectable amount of time. Even Blizzard reportedly took four-to-five years to nurture World of Warcraft into release state. Presuming SWTOR has been in development since BioWare Austin was announced in March of 2006, the game has been in development for a little over three years.

So other than those already given, why do I think the game isn't coming until the first half of 2011?

While BioWare was wise enough to hire skilled, veteran developers at their Austin studio, they also had the foresight to keep the game a secret as long as possible. Since EA's chief executive, John Riccitiello, casually revealed the game out of nowhere to a business-focused news outlet, something tells me their hand was shown earlier than they'd have liked. It's likely that, originally, the game was set to be revealed to the public at this year's E3 event.

If holiday 2010 was the prime release window, we would -- at a minimum -- know some specific core MMO features. Heck, nobody even has a clue as to whether or not BioWare plans on enacting the "Holy Trinity" approach to group dynamics, let alone what Jedi variations players can select. Truthfully, a lot of this game appears to be evolutionary, and the voice work is undoubtedly revolutionary at least in vision. As much as I'd love for the game to release in late 2010, the scope of this its design, funding and third-party involvement alter the odds to such a low percentage that, were it to occur, would astound me more than SWTOR's actual existence.

That may sound like quite the resounding final statement, but there's a bit more to this topic: Blizzard.

BioWare, Electronic Arts and LucasArts are fully aware of the competition. Everyone has to be; this is a business after all. When fighting an opponent, a winning blow depends on timing as much as it does strength or skill. You can bet your blood that everyone over at camp SWTOR is aware of an impending third World of Warcraft expansion (likely to land sometime in 2011) and the much bigger threat – Blizzard's sophomore effort. Obviously, their second MMO isn't happening for a while. I mention it because of SWTOR's first expansion – the sooner the game is released, the sooner its first, ever-so-tempting expansion can come out as well.

- Coach

Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:17 am
Felix Rex

Heh...so...according to this nay-saying bastard, we're gonna be waiting for a freakin' year and a half, at a minimum, for a game that may suck. :evil: Damnit. Are there no decent MMOs set to arrive in the near future?

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:15 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next