It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Derf's Fallout 3 Review 
Minor Diety

Post Derf's Fallout 3 Review
I think this is worthy of it's own thread. Basically, i've stumbled across bits of a preview which rings true to what I think about FO3. I will highlight the bits i agree with most:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=45471

Critical Hit on our hopes...

The more time passes, the more I feel like this dog, barking and foaming at every car that happens to be passing by. I run after them, trying to bite their wheel rims, to crush their tires, their muffler, but I miss.They are going too fast, too far from me. And even if I succeeded ? What would happen anyway ? I bite a moving wheel, it stomps my face, I assault some scrap, it smashes my teeth. Some things are so lifeless, so sluggish that you can't possibly let off steam on them. Fallout 3, anyone ?
[...]
This article is not a test. Just an "introduction for things to come". Why? Because the conditions under which I had to play this "RPG" were not acceptable: sixteen hours in a row in a luxurious hotel on an almost finished build, Bethesda asking to see my screenshots in order to "approve" them...These factors, going from obnoxious to truly scandalous would have made my review biased or even dishonest. Well, I mean a little more dishonest than what I usually do. But have no fear, even though I was deprived of my screenshots, I'm not deprived from my opinion. Condolences: Fallout 3 is a sluggish device, soulless, not exactly terrible, actually almost enjoyable, but totally forgettable because of uncountable dishonest compromises.
[...]
From what I've seen, Fallout 3 does not have any of the qualities of the previous episodes. But that was to be expected. However, it has none of the diffuse magic of the Elder Scrolls series. It feels like Bethesda made a break with this new title, a sad bend towards products multiplying "fan service", the dumb, goofy stuff that will make the client laugh, the "awsum roxxorz" elements and micro-gameplay to the detriment of world coherence and deeper mechanisms. To sum it all up, expect loads of shallow combat spoiled by VATS and slowmotion sequences as gore as pathetic, a terribly short main quest - a Spanish colleague has finished it in less than an afternoon, during his first playthrough - nice secondary quests, but which completely missed the intelligence and density of the series, the whole being flavored with failed occasions.
[...]
With technical means a lot inferior, Fallout 1 and 2 managed to depict this world in all its rococo excess and misery in a formidable manner. But no, despite the dismantled bridges, the huge depth of field, the buildings trying their best not to fall down, it just does not work. By the way, when I came back to CanardPC and people asked me "How is Fallout 3?", honestly, all that I could say at first was "Brown". These ochre shades smash, make the most eccentric idea - let's say, why not, the Washington area transformed into a battlefield scarred by trenches - bland, commonplace, immediately boring. Even worse, where the atmosphere of decay should have been palpable, when you are walking in a city overflowed by skyscrapers ruins, disembowelled roads, peopled by half-savages, one can focus on but one thing: ruins placed strategically to prevent you from crossing the street because designers decided that you shouldn't take THIS path.
[...]
Most locations you can discover are "raider dungeons". City ruins are copy-paste of the same and only model, here and there flavored by the same and only model of tricycle (the very poetic "Red Ryder") and even worse, the main quest will get you through an Hellgate London-ish nightmare in which you had to pass through kilometers of underground for hours and hours.
[...]
How about random encounters ? Well, I have yet to see one. Caravans wander in between cities, you can meet on or two non-aggressive guys in the underground but nothing original at a random road crossing, nothing spectacular at all. Worse than this, Dogmeat is to be found in the exact same spot at the north east of the map while we were originally told that his location is random. However, depending on your karma, you will come across bounty-hunters. I know that this is a cool thing, but remember that you'll never be attacked during fast travels.
[...]
Even when you want to explore things and let alone the main quest for a while, it still tastes weird. Besides the cardboard sets, the feeling of emptiness suddenly goes away. Just like in Oblivion and Gothic 3, adventure awaits at every corner of the street. Literally, unfortunately. A two minute walk and you're there! A design decision which probably has everything to do with the average attention span of the console gamer.
[...]
The Sims 2 : Apocalypse

The second element that makes me think that Fallout 3 is condemned to mediocrity, as a Fallout episode but also as an RPG, is the total lack of coherence between all the elements of gameplay. Just an example. Pretty soon, you'll discover that the game has more to do with a doll's house than with roleplaying: you spend your time picking up clothes or armor parts that, *magic trick*, influence your skills. Pick up a surgeon overall, gain five Medicine points. Wear a camping suit, your agility is increased. All of a sudden, the building of a "role" - a specialized but unique and believable character, exactly what made the core of Black Isle's RPGs - is blown away. You just have to spend your caps on weapons, but even that is not necessary...For the rest, everybody who thinks for at least thirty seconds can make a multivalent character. One just needs the appropriate clothes, drugs to suddenly turn into a pyrotechnician, scientist, or burglar.
[...]
On the other hand, don't expect to be able to convince anybody that originally does not like you. NPC reactions are determined by your Karma and even a professional liar won't be able to convince someone who does not like him to become his partner. But have no fear: you can change your reputation just like you can switch clothes. You're too good to obtain what you wish? Steal, kill generic NPCs (those with no name) and here you are: the incarnation of evil! But don't worry: after three days, people forget about your deeds and you are forgiven.

Your karma is too low for a particular quest? Just kill bad guys and give water to hobos (it comes for free if you have your own house) and there you go: holier than saints. Where the first Fallout episodes where built around balancing your own desires and deciding what sacrifices you were ready to do in order to fulfil them, Bethesda sweeps this and allows you to switch styles at will. Nothing is important any more, everything becomes relative. Everything black. Everything white. No need for grey when redemption and condemnation are made so easy.
[...]
Secondary quests are a bit more original, from the fight between a woman who thinks she is Queen of the Ants and a "graduated robotologist", to a black and white remake of Desperate Housewives flavored with Happy Days. Certain situations could lead to absurd results, like becoming the official crash dummy for a Wasteland Survival Guide. Unfortunately, everything remains nice and unoffensive. It echoes the impossibility of killing children and the completely avoided sex scenes - pay a prostitute and she will go to bed and sleep, not offering any particular dialog choice or text, not even a black screen. Bethesda's hero is apparently no hero in the sack...
[...]
In certain cases, I even feel like the usage of VATS is indispensable. Example: while underground, I come face to face with two gatling turrets and some feral ghouls. I kill the ghouls with the FPS view and then, unable hit the defense system, after several death and increasing frustration, gave up and switched to VATS. With hit chances like 3 to 5%: no way I'm going to succeed. Still, two critical hits. Gatlings destroyed. But only if you aim the sensors: elsewhere it does not work. Honestly it feels as if enemies had weak points and if you shot them where the developer expected you to shoot, then stats suddenly become useless, immediately replaced by critical hits. There we go: Dragon's Lair.
[...]
VATS slow motion may be the worst crime against video gaming since the invention of the auto-aim and checkpoint based save system.
I don't know what the people of Bethesda had in mind... Maybe they feared that the game would be too short and imposed a twenty seconds on us at each targeted shot to extend the gameplay length, maybe they really desire that we notice their face modeling with independent eye globes, maybe they simply suffer from blaring bad taste, from a love for Brotherhood of Steel they want to share at any price?

Either way, this "feature" that retarded teenagers and moronic fans of "self-confident but still crappy" violence will love (and even then, not beyond the 10 first minutes), guarantees that you will avoid using the targeted shot system at any price. It sucks, it's ugly, it's not funny, it's long et absolutely useless.
Worst of all, there's no way to skip it or deactivate it in the options. You will be then forced to endure these scenes not even worthy of Soldier of Fortune 3.
[...]
Lambda players will probably enjoy it. But, us? Well, we still cannot swallow it, this mucky heresy. Sure, I could destroy it, dip it into a vat of hatred just to clean the insult. But it wouldn't make it better. It wouldn't bring Black Isle back. So if you don't mind, I'm going to stop here and have a drink at the café of broken dreams.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:39 pm
Stranger

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:06 pm
Minor Diety

First off, I'm a Fallout 1 & 2 veteran (and tactics, but hey) and a longtime gamer. And I love Fallout 3.

I somewhat agree with the reviewer on some points, but mostly I felt like he was making a lot of assumptions based on the gameplay time he had and was being overly critical. Seriously, F3 is getting rave reviews all over the world...even if Bethesda bought some of them off, they can't buy off THAT many reviewers. Or, me, Satis and Peltz, for that matter. :P

-Bethesda made a break with this new title, a sad bend towards products multiplying "fan service", the dumb, goofy stuff that will make the client laugh, the "awsum roxxorz" elements and micro-gameplay to the detriment of world coherence and deeper mechanisms

While the game has certainly lost some of its depth compared to the more hardcore CRPG of yonder, it's not quite a kiddie-1337speak sort of game. By any means.

-shallow combat spoiled by VATS and slowmotion sequences as gore as pathetic

I like VATS just fine. It's a pretty ingenious middle way between TBS and ream-time first person RPG combat, but it could still be perfected even more. what's wrong with the slowmotion? I've seen thousands of attacks in VATS now and I can't say I've grown tired of it yet. It's just really well done, if a little cartoonish. But that's also Fallout.

- a terribly short main quest

Granted. It could have been longer. It could have been more 'grey' in morality. But it was still pretty kickass. Whoever's playing through the game focusing on the MQ alone isn't really taking in the game much tho, if you ask me.

-With technical means a lot inferior, Fallout 1 and 2 managed to depict this world in all its rococo excess and misery in a formidable manner. But no, despite the dismantled bridges, the huge depth of field, the buildings trying their best not to fall down, it just does not work.

Completely disagree. I think it works wonderfully well. F1 and 2 were awesome, but saying that they had more varying backgrounds and so on is just plain untrue. F1 and 2 recycle the same buildings over and over again, with some unique buildings thrown in the mix.

- ruins placed strategically to prevent you from crossing the street because designers decided that you shouldn't take THIS path.

Could've been more elegant, true, and frustrating at times when you lost your way. But not much of an immersion-killer either. In the originals you couldn't you pretty much couldn't go anywhere but the cities/main dungeons.

-Where the first Fallout episodes where built around balancing your own desires and deciding what sacrifices you were ready to do in order to fulfil them, Bethesda sweeps this and allows you to switch styles at will.

Yes, karma was developed more in-depth in the original 2 fallouts. But you'll need to give those beggars a LOT of water to go from black-as-coal evil to shiny good in F3. You'll need to dig in to get your karma back up. The only thing I miss in F3 is the local reputations for every town. That's all.

Bottom line:

Is F3 less 'deep' than F 1 and 2? Maybe a little less edgy, yes. And yes, a few concessions have been made for the console kiddies. But I still hugely enjoyed (and enjoy) the game and I do see it as a worthy addition to the franchise. It's not a direct successor to the Vault Dweller saga, but that was never the intention of Bethesda. That's why the game is on the other coast, too.

Let's not forget: children were removed from the majority of Fallout 2's localized games (re: unkillable children in F3). F 1 and 2 were basically a collection of around 20 completely independent 'zones' recycling many similar backgrounds, and the fast travel option basically wasn't more than a countdown clock which could, at times, put you in a random area with random enemies. That was replaced by walking around in F3 and meeting enemies in the wild. The 'you cannot go further in this direction, please go back' area at the edge of the F3 map may break immersion, but that's the problem with FP view. In F1 and 2 you just COULDN'T reach the end of the map.

And so on. F 1 and 2 are godlike, let's keep that straight. But there is a lot of nostalgia in our memories too. We'll never get the edge and snappy dialogue of Black Isle back, but that's the way it is. Other than that...some criticisms in the review just suck. Hours of subway tunnel crawling for the MQ? Wtf? He must have played a different MQ than me. :roll:

- Coach

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:11 am
King

Great game play, fun, ending sucked.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:58 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]