It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Baldur's Gate III in development? 
Minor Diety

Post Baldur's Gate III in development?
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=197448

Just a rumor for now, but we all know that in the games industry smoke = fire.

Not too happy with this though:

Quote:
"I'll probably get into trouble for telling you this, but hey, I just can't resist. Baldur's Gate III is in the works. I can't really say much more, but a few details to guide your speculation: it's not being done by BioWare, and you won't be playing it for at least two years. You shouldn't expect anything classically isometric either, as it's being made by a company that believes in pushing technology forward".

Not being developed by Bioware is one thing, but the "pushing technology forward" thing is what scares me. I don't care too much about technology, as long as it's even half as epic as BG2...when will game developers get that in their thick skulls? If we RPG fans would adore graphics so much, we'd be playing and buying just shooters, not RPG's. :roll:

- Coach

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:21 am
Felix Rex

agreed.... it's the gameplay I care about. As long as the graphics are decent, I don't care... not for this type of game.

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:50 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Bah, i dont buy it, looks like someone wanted their 15seconds of fame. I think theres a bigger chance for Icewind Dale 3, than BG3

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:34 am
Felix Rex

yea, I think I'm with Peltz. The BG saga is over. Any new D&D games seem to be set in the new worlds (probably trying to drive sales to all this D&D crap). Blah... give me Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance... those are the only worlds I ever cared about.

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I don't think it's a rumor without basis myself, but I'll agree that the BG saga is over. ToB was the epic end, for all I care. A Baldur's Gate 3 would have to be a completely seperate story in the FR universe and have nothing to do with the bhaalspawn saga. It's likely they just want to use the franchise and title recognition to boost the game...which is kinda of lame, but meh. I wish they'd just start a seperate "saga", like Bioware does with Mass Effect and/or Dragon Age.

And somebody should make a third installment in the Vampire: The Masquerade CRPG series :P

- Coach

Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:10 am
Felix Rex

Ah, now that would be nice. I'd like to see Vampire: Masquerade too... bigger city, more sandboxy like GTA. That would make for a truly badass game.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:42 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Heh, yeah. If you apply the VTM abilities with such a world you could make something truly awesome, because some of them can be used in public without violating the masquerade and some can't. And some, like celerity, can be used up to a certain level before breaching the masquerade...running very fast isn't THAT freaky, but running faster than a car would raise some suspicion. :roll:

Add to that your superhuman abilities as a vampire like jumping strength over rooftops and fences, or even flying in 'war form' if you're a gangrel with protean...neat. And a day/night cycle would add an extra element to the whole feel with a "shit get inside a safe place before dawn" rush if you find yourself too far out at the night's end.

Yeah, definitely potential there. Definitely.

- Coach

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:51 am
Minor Diety

http://kotaku.com/5100987/atari-revivin ... -unlimited

Quote:
Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Dungeons & Dragons and Test Drive Unlimited haven't been forgotten by Atari. The publisher plans to bring each of those series back to its line-up — but not until after 2009.

Atari revealed its intentions to revisit and resuscitate some of its better known properties at a press conference in the UK today, pointing to some of its most beloved hits as a focus for 2010 and beyond.

But...no Bioware. :(

- Coach

Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:31 am
Stranger

Well its gonna rain snowballs in hell before Atari releases something playable right out of the box.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:22 am
Felix Rex

Yea, sorry, Atari hasn't exactly been a gaming powerhouse since the Atari 2600. Most of what they release is total crap in my experience. Oh well, I'll reserve judgment until I see a product.

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:40 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Well not necessarily crap (the witcher) but it needs huge amount of patching and fixing (again the witcher and Alone in the dark).

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:07 pm
Minor Diety

Ugh as much as I hate Bioware, they did make BG awesome... oh well we'll just wait and see I guess. Mind you, as I say, I dislike Bioware anyway and since they're now coupled with EA, them not being involved can only be a good thing (for me at any rate)

Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Pff Pev, that's like saying that somebody sucks just because they're getting paid/working for a crappy company. :) You saying Satis is a lamer? :wink: hehehe

I can't imagine Bioware signing a contract with EA that allows them to be overruled too much on their design choices...but then, who knows. We'll have to wait and see. For now, I consider any Bioware-slagging sacrilege :p

I have to agree with everyone on Atari, though. It's not that they make BAD games...they're just flawed. Like Fahrenheit :cry:

- Coach

Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:47 am
Minor Diety

lol no it isn't ox, it would be like saying Satis sucks coz I dislike him anyway AND he works for a crappy company ;)

*still won't forgive Bioware for NWN*

Ah well let's wait and see. I sincerely hope they turn my opinion of them around. I do also know I'm horribly biased, since all their other games aren't 'bad' (though imo Jade Empire while good, was more action rpg than rpg, and Mass Effect was just a Halo rip off with added stat building... hehe. But I haven't played Mass Effect, merely watched the first planet be played and it didn't impress me). I haven't tried NWN 2 either so I won't judge them on that... I'll play it once I can bring myself to finish NWN/expansions and it is in the budget range for £5.

Bring on BG3! er... after I finish 1 and 2...

Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
Emperor

Sucking the last penny we can from it are we?

I already proposed fans should regroup and (re)make the game properly. My proposals were not taken seriously on some larger forums about four years ago through. *sigh* Maybe they responded later in more constructive tone but I wasn't there to read so I can't be held responsible if they make it in the end. :P Maybe I should reappear there and watch them bow down. Heh... whatever. Anyway, it is always easier to wait and see so be it. Sit and watch. I'm fine with the existing parts. I work at my own project presently.

BG3 still has potential... of sort. Basically there are two possible storylines:
* If the protagonist has taken the throne, he can be somebody who fight against/for his established regime. Or he can keep the role and fight gods or whatever.
* If the protagonist hasn't taken the throne, he continued living a peaceful life. Disturb it and the story can go on.

Those two can vary on further.

After 1/4 of it, I played NWN only to finish it, not because I enjoyed it. It was utterly boring.

Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next