It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Baldur's Gate III in development? 
Minor Diety

Well, ok, NWN was kinda of lame. But if NWN is the low point of Bioware's track record, then there's no need to worry just yet. ;) I think the mistake they made in NWN is to go for a half-assed thing between isometric and 3D. The world just looked stupid and unbelievable with all the perfectly imperft squares and corners...would have been better to go with the old rendered backgrounds. The characters were dull too, except for Aribeth. Not to mention the downer that the lack of recruitable NPC's was after BG's lively personas.

NWN only became the epic game it was supposed to when Hordes of the Underdark came out. Now THAT was a good game. :)

Erh...anyway. BG3 is probably too huge to organize in a user-driven modding team Freeman. You'd need some sort of budget and an 'official' commitment from a larger group of people, like a college project or funding. And people might disagree over the design. For example, I disagree that BG3 should have anything directly to do with the Bhaalspawn saga protagonists. :) Maybe a prequel, perhaps, where you are put in the middle of the events running up to BG1...like the raid on Bhaal's temple by the Harpers and Gorion's adoption of the Bhaalspawn, or Sarevok's escape from the slaughter. Etc.

But maybe it's better to start a whole new saga altogether.

- Coach

Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:05 am
Stranger

Mass Effect was just a Halo rip off with added stat building... hehe. But I haven't played Mass Effect

Sacrilege!!!!!!

ME is a very good RPG if you leave out the side missions. As i mentioned in the F3 topic, I prefer it over elder scrolls and F3. Actually the only thing missing from F3 is the ME engine.

I still wish they abondon the BG and take up IWD.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:52 am
Emperor

BG3 is probably too huge to organize in a user-driven modding team Freeman.

We do have all that nice mods, made mostly by simple users who dared to enter that waters, do we? :)

Personally, I might disagree with BG3 being fully 3D. It doesn't need 3D to be awesome. What does BG1-ToB engine have? Bitmap scrolling, area limits processing, bitmap animation, state-based relatively stable gameplay, implemented DNDx rules. Eh, did I miss something? The main power of the BG saga was the content. Again: the content. Other things were pretty easy to make in one day by most of DX / GUI programmers.

In the end, I still prefer BG1 to Oblivion. :)

Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:17 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/940/940545p1.html

Quote:
Some parts of BG seem simple now, and many perceived character relationships were outright imaginary. The players imposed their own perceptions on those tiny sprites and unrecorded text. One forum member didn't realize that you could drag the character portraits to reorder the party. He slip-clicked out of inventory and accidentally swapped Minsc into top position, triggering a sound event: "Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!" He thought Minsc had spontaneously seized control of the party. Well, he had spent too much time on magic and not enough on kicking evil in the face, so it seemed reasonable. And it would have been awesome.

- Coach

Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:20 am
Felix Rex

I remember when I realized you could have party members talk to each other. Most of the time they had nothing interesting to say, but occasionally it would spark some interesting dialog. I think that was BG2 only.

Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:46 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Hehe, yeah. I was shocked when I found out that some party members could get involved into disputes that made one of them leave or even have them attack each other. :o

You know what irks me about many games these days? They are too forgiving. Party members don't "die", they just pass out and get up once the battle is over. They don't argue to the point where one of them goes "adios, muchachos", and DEFINITELY won't attack each other. You can pretty much treat them like crap, calling them every name in the book, and they stay with you and your party. Heck, in BG2 party members could get chunkified/petrified/imprisoned depending on difficulty settings and so on.

It's not that I like running back and forth for a raise dead/resurrection scroll every time a party member gets it, if I wanted that I'd just beg for save point system (which, in the console fanboy eyes is a sign of being a 'better' gamer because it takes you more tries to get something done - lol. They stray, my friend). :roll: No, if you want to you could just save every 2 minutes and make sure nothing "bad" happens in your game, for all I care. But that's not roleplaying, that's powergaming. Sure, you could reload every time you say something bad to a party member, closing off their romance tree (like when you agree to sleep with Aerie the first time when she offers herself - I bet a lot of people fucked that up :roll: ), or every time someone gets imprisoned without you having a "freedom" scroll or high-level mage on you. But that's part of the story, dammit. Or better: your story.

A mate of mine still has nightmares of Cernd (who, by then, was one of his main's closest friends and more powerful party members) getting chunked by the shadow dragon. Or about Yoshimo betraying him at Brynnlaw. That's the kind of games we want to play. Not games who reward me for every fucking thing I do, or on the other side of the spectrum, always force me into taking the safe path even if I don't fucking feel like it.

Lesson 1 in game design: don't needlessly irritate the player, but give him the opportunity to do stupid shit. Point in case: a high building with a balcony: don't make it so that the balcony has no railing, making it that the player can accidentally fall off. But don't stop him or her from jumping over the damn thing and falling to their splattered death. THE PLAYER IS NOT RETARDED. He knows he will die if he jumps off a 50-foot building. And if he wants to, let him, fall to his death. Easy, right?

Another example: a town, with a blacksmith, church, tavern - the whole shabang. If the player wants to talk to them, then fine. If he starts a mass genocide for no apparant reason, LET HIM. No person in their sane mind would expect any other outcome than all these people not offering him their jobs and quests or sympathy afterwards (if they live). Shit, what does anyone expect? Yet, in many modern games, you can return 2 hours later and everyone will be like "oh hey, wassup?" Seriously. We can do better. We deserve better.

Free and lenient saves (for example 3 quicksaves, just to make sure) + a harsh, unforgiving world = realistic. It's getting a little tiresome that we have to suffer for all the retards in the world who go apeshit on the local shopkeeper, and then get all angry because they fucked up a part of their game world. Because that's who companies are catering to these days.

/rant off :)

- Coach

Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:14 am
Minor Diety

Wow... not often you'll see this in public but

/applaud Ox

well said!

Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdy-k_qLdQg

"I...I do not remember your love, Ellesime. I tried. I tried to recreate it, to spark it anew in my memory but it is gone, a hollow, dead thing. For years I clung to the memory of it, then the memory of the memory, then nothing. The Seldarine took that from me too. I look upon you and feel...nothing. I remember nothing but you turning your back on me along with all the others. Once my thirst for power was everything, and now I hunger only for revenge. And I WILL HAVE IT!"

I miss BG2. :P Irenicus 4 life bitches

- Coach

Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:51 am
Minor Diety

I don't believe I've ever seen a villain in a computer game that was so intriguing. You rarely see that in movies either. Hollywood demands villains with cardboard characters (with notable exceptions like the Joker off course).
Still, this one is great too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWVS6syc ... re=related

Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:11 am
Felix Rex

heh, yea, Irenicus was a pretty interesting villain. Smart and crazy. Most other enemies (including Saravok) are pretty forgettable, in any game.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:27 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I don't believe I've ever seen a villain in a computer game that was so intriguing. You rarely see that in movies either. Hollywood demands villains with cardboard characters (with notable exceptions like the Joker off course).
Still, this one is great too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWVS6syc ... re=related

*mumbles* "Monkey work...." :wink:

- Coach

Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2