It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
The Fallout Retrospect 
Stranger

Post The Fallout Retrospect
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42026.html

This is good for people who haven't played the various fallout titles. Its a very good overview and shows fairly well why people like the series.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:15 am
Felix Rex

Fry's had the fallout collection for sale for like $25 or something... I just didn't see me playing that with all the games coming out in the next few weeks. This video should be helpful (once I can watch it at home).

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:52 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

It's a good run-through. The first part (with the Wasteland predecessor etc.) and the last one (with the console game Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel) are somewhat irrelevant though, so just make sure you pay attention during the events of Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics. Afaik those are the only real "canon" games.

One thing the vid doesn't really mention on Fallout 1 I do want to add though: after getting the water chip for your vault and essentially saving mankind by destroying the Master, the Overseer (vault boss) expels you from the Vault because he feels you've become 'tainted' from living outside of the Vault for so long. It's a bittersweet ending. The home you fought for eventually spits you out...and that is how the protagonist in Fallout 2 is born: he/she is a descendant of the original Vault Dweller who settled down with other survivors in the Northern Wastelands, after being refused a return to his home Vault 13. :)

It's briefly mentioned in the intro of Fallout 2 (after the first few 'instructional' videos). Ron Pearlman's narration is TIGHT yo. Fallout 2 intro starts at 1.45 or so...before that it's still Fallout 1 intro

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=AihKA_AgM ... re=related

Anyway, just pick it up during the gaming off-season sometime. It's still very much enjoyable and playable, especially fallout 2 (fallout 1 is HARD sometimes). And many adult references. None of that "please the masses" shit of modern games.

- Coach

Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:45 am
Stranger

Defenatly low on "please the masses" factor. But you should know that back in the day when fallout 2 was released, it kind of set an unofficial record for most bugs on release, so even with the patches and stuff, its still kind of broken, at times. Save once atleast every 2hours.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:33 am
Minor Diety

Oh yeah. Most of them (well the biggest one) have been helped by now, but two always seem to keep returning in my games...maybe you know them Peltz?

- the glowing ghouls attacking me for no reason in the reactor in Gecko. Not instantly, but after a while if I keep hanging out there. Sometimes fucks up the game so bad that you need to whack them and go into the reactor yourself to fix the valve if you're not smart enough to work the robot. Radiation overdose. :(

- the Golgotha graveyard. If you get "pretty boy" Floyd to dig up the money for you and enter the underground cave, the game crashes. Every time. Always has, always will.

- Coach

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:59 am
Stranger

I havent encountered the ghoul problem but yea, the grave robbing always crashes.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]