It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
KOTOR MMO confirmed 
Minor Diety

Good points. I wonder how many MMORPG developers actually take into account these things. I mean, they probably do (or they'd be retarded), but to what extent? Do they actually cooperate with social scientists to uncover behavior patterns, to dissect how and why players do certain things?

I have a friend who plays WoW and is in a clan with (mostly) people he knows knows irl. he tells me 80% of them are complete jackasses whose sole life purpose is to reach certain goals in WoW and then get pissed off at others when they don't want to help out or some such shit. I always ask him: why do you even PLAY with these people? Let alone get on teamspeak with them (where he, to his credit, largely ignores them).

The answer? Cause it's WoW. :P

Anyway....there's no stopping to Blizzard now. Unless all their offices and servers and banks get hit by a series of freak meteorites, they've become so dominant on the market and so rich that they can pretty much afford anything. Even retarded nerfs, bad patches, whatever. But they do a surprisingly good job regardless. Just saying they could not give a shit. :roll:

- Coach

Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:49 am
Stranger

With the next installment knocking on the door another load of cash is waiting to pour in. Biowares mmo will be the last one for me, because i find mmos lacking in excitment emotionally and technically. In my games i want to make a difference, blow shit up and use whatever and however i want. In Mmos one cant find that, they are actually quite linear. Sure i have some choices but usually only A and B are the way to go because there is nothing at the end of C or D if you understand what i mean, the option is there but its pointless and its there for the sake of being.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:43 am
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
I have a friend who plays WoW and is in a clan with (mostly) people he knows knows irl. he tells me 80% of them are complete jackasses whose sole life purpose is to reach certain goals in WoW and then get pissed off at others when they don't want to help out or some such shit. I always ask him: why do you even PLAY with these people? Let alone get on teamspeak with them (where he, to his credit, largely ignores them).

Exactly why I'm very choosy about who I party with, and why I tend to ignore MMOORPG's in general, I'll help anyone if they want to go and do something, but it annoys me when they expect it all the time or they suddenly go missing if you want them to return the favor.

*Rant over*

Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:45 am
Minor Diety

With the next installment knocking on the door another load of cash is waiting to pour in. Biowares mmo will be the last one for me, because i find mmos lacking in excitment emotionally and technically. In my games i want to make a difference, blow shit up and use whatever and however i want. In Mmos one cant find that, they are actually quite linear. Sure i have some choices but usually only A and B are the way to go because there is nothing at the end of C or D if you understand what i mean, the option is there but its pointless and its there for the sake of being.

True, MMORPG's are basically one huge grinding fest. They can't put in brainbreaking puzzles or situations where you rely on your moral compass, because a lot of people wouldn't "get it". And quit the game.

Like Satis said, MMORPG's pimp out the "social" aspect of fighting together and all, that's their strength. But I think most sensible persons will become extremely jaded with the throngs of retards populating the MMORPG's and messing up everyone's gaming experience. That's why most smart people with a life don't tend to last very long in a MMORPG. ;)

I for one will continue playing single-player games for a long time (apart from the occasional MP or MMORPG) to come. MP poses two problems:

a) Fact: usually some sort of team work is involved in MP. Fact 2: most people you meet in online games are mentally challenged. Solution: don't play those games.

b) if you do play a game where you are reasonably good and don't need to rely on others (much), there'll always be hordes of kiddies who have all the time in the world to perfect their skills/sploit the glitches/cheat and piss you off. getting my ass kicked is one thing, getting torn apart online by someone 1/4th my age and brain capacity...no thanks.

- Coach

Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:11 am
Stranger

Some good points there, ill add something to the last one.

I noticed that the more games i played the less i liked easy kills/loot/whatever. The puzzles shouldnt even hard but should use many different aspects, common sense, intelligence, combat, and so on instead of the current formula = 1, 1, 1, 1, 2 for heal, 1, 1, woohoo monies.

I dont want to be treated like retard, i guess thats what i mean. I am capable of more than just pounding the same button n+1 times.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:35 am
Felix Rex

I enjoy variety. Doing the same thing over and over sucks. Going on kill missions sucks, even if you're killing new stuff. I prefer quest arcs... like... pick up quest... go here, dig up something... go to another guy... go kill a bunch of crap... go back to him... go explore something. And make it all mean something.

Just repeatedly killed x number of X is boring. Make me want to explore and experience the story, not click ok without reading the quest description, walking to the x on the map and killing whatever I find there.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Post Re: KOTOR MMO confirmed
Gameplay/group footage in THe Old Republic

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/07 ... more-33125

Actually looks pretty fun. Like a mix between an MMORPG and playing a (standard) offline RPG with friends. :)

- Coach

Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:44 am
Stranger

Ox, where the hell did you dig up this topic from, theres SW TOR topic like 5 lines from the top :D

Anyway, Bioware needs to hire obsidian to do the story part. And they should never ever let them near any code though.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:40 am
Felix Rex

cool, looks good. Wish this wasn't still a year out.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2