It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next
Dragon Age 
Minor Diety

yeah, we should definitely get together in GW2 for old times' sake. :) Besides, they way the game is shaping up, it could very well be another monster hit. Don't forget GW was the only MMROPG that remotely threatened WoW's dominance. It was a really good game, apart from its more annoying aspects (kiddies, being forced to party).

Peltz, you're right. Anyone saying they want to top BG2 must be really careful. BG2 was a shockwave through the gaming world with its sheer size, depth and overall strength. Just the right balance of story, action, art, gameplay and technology.

But we can only hope. If anyone can do it it's Bioware. :)

- Coach

Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:25 am
Minor Diety

*stabs ox* GW isn't a true MMO! *sigh* Which makes its 5mil players even more impressive ;)

and yeah... Bioware... this could be their chance to change my opinion coz i personally think they suck at rpgs. fingers crossed that I'm wrong!

Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

indeed, I agree as well. They're setting themselves up for failure by harping on this BG thing. On the other hand, the movies I saw with the circles under the characters, moving around killing something with a really big cirlce... that looks just like BG!

From a technical standpoint, I don't require all that much. It doesn't even need to be 3d, though 3d arguably makes it easier on everyone (alot easier to render 1 3d character then draw 50 different positions and store them as bitmaps). What I want is the character creation/advancement depth, a party, a deep storyline with a ton of side quests.... hell, everyone knows what I want, it's probably the same crap they want. :roll:

Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Actually thats exactly like NWN 2. You run around with one and the others follow.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:36 pm
Felix Rex

NWN2 was too buggy. Otherwise, it might have been good enough to make me happy. Instead, it was too buggy for me to complete and I refuse to buy any more NWNs. Stupid NWN. Still irritates me thinking about it.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol. Irritation leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the Dark Side!! :twisted:

Me, I would be perfectly happy if they delivered a story with the same depht, character development and background of BG2 in any sort of (graphically semi-pleasing) environment. heck, for all i care they rehash the entire Infinity Engine. It's still sharp today if you bring in better support for higher resolutions and better animations/spell effects.

3d is all very nice if done well, but not by any means crucial to a good game. Mark my words: if they released BG2 today, it would still be a big success. Sure, it would be criticized for its graphics, but the game itself would still stand. Try releasing, say, the early NFS games. Big flop. :roll:

I only played act I of NWN 2 so i'm not going to say much about it (I heard that act I is the boring part and that it gets better later) until I play the rest. But the original NWN...they focused on all the wrong things. graphics, presentation, 3rd edition rules. :( I hate 3rd edition, tbh. Too many ifs and buts.

But to be fair: Hordes of the underdark was an amazing expansion. They clearly learned from their mistakes with NWN and SoU when making that one. :)

- Coach

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:40 am
Stranger

Once i finish the original NWN i will post my review of it. And its not gonna be nice.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:32 am
Minor Diety

There is an 'Origin Stories' video up on the official Dragon Age site. Looks very good, not so much graphically but in terms of depth and RPG elements. Like a real, old-fashioned CRPG actually, devoid of console concessions. :)

The story also seems to adapt to your character's background a lot (maybe that's what the 'Origins' stands for?).

http://dragonage.bioware.com/

I'm stoked, already, from that video. Feels like a while since I played a really good fantasy RPG.

- Coach

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:36 am
Stranger

Yeh, this is the game im looking forward to, once the holiday mess has cleared. And then ill be waiting for Mass Effect 2.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:58 am
Minor Diety

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:12 am
Felix Rex

There's an interview up on Gamespot... been there awhile but it wasn't posted here.

Considering Ox's recent rant about designers coddling gamers, I found this interested:
Quote:
GS: As we know, moral choices factor heavily into the gameplay. How will your choices affect the characters around you? To what extent will they go to push their own agendas on you, especially if they disagree with your actions? Aside from chiding you or romancing you, will we see characters leaving your ranks in disgust? Starting fights with other characters or with your own character? Betraying you for another side?

DT: Party interaction is one of the best parts of Dragon Age: Origins, much like it was in Baldur's Gate. The party approval system is something new we're introducing in Dragon Age: Origins, and it influences how your party members react to your decisions and behave towards you. Each character has their own personal motivations and moral code, so if you do things they don't like, they could leave your party, or even turn on you. On the other hand, if you gain favor with them, you could get special bonuses or certain other perks, which you'll discover.

Now as long as your party members can perma-die, we may have some happiness.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dragonag ... e=previews

Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

There's a trend of returning to more 'strict' gaming systems, cfr. Storms of Zehir where party members will "black out" at first and then die after a while if they take more damage or are down for too long (and thus requiring a raise dead spell).

Dragon Age is the self-proclaimed champion of the traditional fantasy RPG, so we can only hope! :)

- Coach

Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:48 am
Minor Diety

http://dragonage.bioware.com/greywardens.html

And I'm almost tempted to buy this prequel novel (by one of Bioware's lead writers/designers)

http://dragonage.bioware.com/noveltst.html

If it weren't for the fact that these things tend to be poorly written, that is. :( I remember that BG2 novel that came with the game....was a hopeless piece of shit. :(

Can't wait tho...

- Coach

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:53 am
Minor Diety

Excerpts from a PC gamer 8-page DA preview

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/ ... PgQEos.php

Quote:
BioWare believes that players need to ease into their character's skin, not hop into a pre-drafted hero with just a cutscene to contextualize their actions. This theory materializes in the six distinct introductory "origin stories": players choose from a dwarf commoner, dwarven noble, city elf, magi, human noble, and Dalish elf. Filling one of these roles gives players the opportunity to make formative, significant decisions that forge a distinct background for their characters before graduating to the main quest.

Quote:
I click through a few screens of dialog to get the details - the citizen has written a controversial screed about one of the paragons, the living legends elected by the dwarven council who are meant to be revered by all. Indicting a paragon could be a serious offense.
The historian shoots back: "Not liking history doesn't make it any less true." And then I'm faced with a choice: Preserve his right to publish, or protect the name of the noble's paragon and his house? Not fond of censorship, I pick the most extreme option before me: order Gorim to have the noble asassinated. Gorim nods, darts off, and returns a moment later. "Word has been sent. He won't live past the hour." I cackle. In my mind, I twirl the curls of my massive beard. Less than 10 minutes in, I've ordered someone completely innocent (albeit annoying) to his death. Could more amoral decisions await? I can only hope.

Quote:
He thinks that I've killed Trian to assure my spot as heir, but I argue my innocence. I fought in self-defense - Trian was the one who wanted me dead. He questions my partymates - they saw me take Trian's signet ring from the mercenaries, they'd be my alibi. Instead, my archer lies: "Lord Aeducan came up to them all friendly-like, then when we were close he wanted us to attack." The other soldier echoes his slander. I've been tricked! My party members were Bhelen's cronies, meant to assure that I killed Trian, eliminating any witnesses while assuring my guilt.

Quote:
BioWare is bringing six total origin stories to Dragon Age: dwarf commoner, dwarven noble, city elf, Dalish elf, magi and human noble. The pair we played showed promise - neither wasted time dropping big decisions in my lap, nor did they bog me down with petty errands simply to fill my EXP bar.

- Coach

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:45 am
Minor Diety

Dragon Age for PC delayed to fucking Christmas...for ULTRA lame reasons. :evil:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/ ... gbyoVu.php

Quote:
EDMONTON, Alberta, Feb 03, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Leading video game developer BioWare(TM), a division of Electronic Arts Inc, today announced that the release of Dragon Age(TM): Origins on PC has been rescheduled to the last half of 2009 from the previously announced early 2009 release date, coinciding with the release of the console versions of Dragon Age: Origins.

Quote:
Shacknews clarifies, based on John Rictiello's comments:

During its call with investors, Electronic Arts CEO John Rictiello said that the delay was due to marketing, but that BioWare will continue to polish the PC release.

Ricitiello further stated that the RPG will arrive in the company's third quarter, which runs from October 1 to December 31.

Bah, bah, bah. I was looking forward to it so much. Guess I'll be off the DA bandwagon for a while...I could manage being excited over it with it being a month or two away, but 9 months of building up anticipation is too much. :roll: :(

- Coach

Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next