Minor Diety

Post Re: Diablo 3
Lol. Fucking Activision.

- Coach

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:39 am
Minor Diety

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4612389 ... -3_15_2012

Release date 15/05 finally confirmed. Still debating on it myself.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I bought Starcraft 2 on release last time, and while it was unquestionably good and well-polished, the game seemed to be so heavily geared towards the multiplayer experience that it was off-putting after a while. And I don't know about you, but while I enjoy multiplayer I've become too old to really grind and grind weeks in a row to hold a decent ranking and increase my e-peen. ;) Unless it's a co-op thing with friends I just want to have fun and play an occasional game, which was hard to in the SC2 system. I don't expect the D2 one to be much more forgiving - although there IS that looting fever, of course.

*says nothing about Pev suffering from loot-whore-itis*

- Coach

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:52 am
Felix Rex

That's precious considering who's talking about the loot whoring.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Don't lump me in as a loot whore, in Sacred multiplayer I used to leave all my drops for the other players :P

I won't bother with MP in Diablo 3 (unless it's you guys/people I know) because I don't care about leaderboards and the community from D2 were the biggest bunch of dicks I ever met.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Open beta weekend for D3. Downloading the client now, you just need to have a battletag on battle.net and you can download the client from there. I won't be on it much this weekend but still figured it'd be nice to give it a go for a couple of hours.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I wonder if my Diablo 2 account still exists... and what the damn username/password is. :roll:

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Well I finally managed to get on for a couple of hours, played with Mole. Pretty much plays exactly like D2, but shinier and very much worth it. If you enjoyed D2, you'll enjoy D3.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

So been playing this for the majority of the afternoon/evening thought I'd give you a quick review on this shit.

Took ages to get in to a room, but once I did - it was freakin' glorious.

Can run everything on max, (Specs below) with very very very very little slow down. I'm talking about 25+ enemies on screen, including being online.

The game controls pretty much exactly the same as D2 with a few subtle difference, some major improvements and some of the fat cut out.

The good initial differences are:
1-4 skill slots that coincide with your left and right mouse clicks, giving you a theoretical 6 skills at your instant disposal.
Screen seems to have less clutter. (Though after having played D2 recently, it's probably just because of higher resolution.)
The Auto-Map is much better than D2.
Skill combinations are much more feasible and accessible (more later)
I'm classing this one as good - The level up system has been simplified.
No need to hit R to switch between running and walking (However I would change it certain parts of this)
Stamina is still 'present' but has been modified, greatly (More later)
Simplified potion system, just hit Q to heal.

The bad initial differences are:
The graphics are too world of warcraft for my liking, loosing the original gritty and dark feeling of diablo I & II

Not a bad hit rate there. There are definitely things that can be done to improve the overall experience but nothing game breaking or urgent. All in all, well done, blizzard.

Skill Combos/Spirit/Mana

As I said, you have 6 skills available at any one point. With my character, the Monk, these use up 'Spirit' which is probably Mana on other classes. Spirit is replenished by smacking enemies in the face repeatedly with your pwnagers. The only time this becomes an issue is if you have no spirit left at the end of a fight you have to enter the next one with just normal attacks until you have enough to use your abilities again. This isn't a real issue, just means that you need to learn not to waste your spirit clearing up the last of the enemies in a fight.

Having a potential 4 skills on 1-4 (Only unlocked 2 in the beta) and a skill on each mouse button is very useful.

On skill 1 I had a blinding attack, which does what it says on the tin. On the left button I had a teleport to enemy attack which delivers extra damage. On the right button a sweeping kick attack, that does knock back and fire damage. So, you come up to a group of enemies, with a resurrection beast or a spawning beast in. You don't want to waste time killing his minions, he will just revive them and force you to kill them again for no XP.

So, I can run in, hit 1 to stun all the enemies.
Target the revivalist/spawner with left mouse click, teleporting to him but still in the middle of the enemies.
Then with left click still held in, hit right click - spinning kick (right click) that knocks back all the enemies including the boss, buying me time safe of the flack damage by the minions.
But as the boss character flies back, I still have left click held in and haven't changed target so the monk will now automatically teleport again straight at the boss and deliver another combo.
All in all, causing massive damage to the boss, small damage to his minions but adding damage over time (Fire on the spin kick) making for an easy mop up. High in, Low out.

Leveling up/Skill Tree

The levelling system is much simpler overall. It still follows the basic 'Smash-n-stash' experience pattern with kills rewarding XP and XP turning in to levels. However, you don't need to worry about where to spend attribute points any more - all of that is automated. Instead, you focus on your skill trees.

You have 2 main skills (left and right click.) Then 4 different skill trees under that for your 1-4 abilities and then 2 more below that which are passive, but I can't write much about these as I unlocked them 5 minutes before the server shut down.

The skills have subdivisions known as runes, which basically give you the ability to add a property to the skill. I.E. The fire to the spin kick. You don't need to find these runes, just have the required level to use them.

In other news:
Some of the minor improvements I would make would be to add a sprint in - using spirit/whatever for when there are no enemies around if you are just travelling. But you have town portal etc so this point is for the most part, moot.
The mini-map should have the monsters in red-dots on it. This would help when you are trying to take agro away from ranged players/healers etc. As the fights can get a bit hectic if you are more than a screen apart you can't tell what's going on. (Though good comms will obviously help.)
As loot is instanced to your machine, a pick up all button would be good (though it may exist and I have yet to find it.)
Fix the graphics to make it look more like Diablo. The back grounds are ok, but it just doesn't feel dark enough.

Other than that, the overall presentation is great. The game plays exactly like you'd expect it to, with the music fitting the Diablo style. Also, I believe Cain's voice to be the same actor (or a very very good impression) which is ace. Just waiting for him to say "stay a while, and listen" and make me want to smack his withered old face in.

Great game, will definitely be purchasing this when it is released.

8/10.

specs wrote:
Operating System
MS Windows 7 32-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom X4 9600 50 °C
Agena 65nm Technology
RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 334MHz 5-5-5-15
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. CROSSHAIR (Socket AM2 )
Graphics
SyncMaster @ 1440x900
512MB GeForce 8800 GT (nVidia) 67 °C
Hard Drives
750GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS721075KLA SCSI Disk Device (SCSI)
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D163B SCSI CdRom Device
PHILIPS DVDR1628P1 ATA Device
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Good read!

I'd love to read a (p)review by Derf as well to compare scores. :P

~King of Thieves~

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:41 am
Felix Rex

You're running Windows 7 32 bit!? Why!

However, thanks for the post. I remember spending quite a few hours playing D2... not as obsessively as some people, but certainly a little bit.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Thanks for the review Mole. :) The thing about Diablo 3 is that, even though i know it's gonna be a good game with a lot of polish, I can't really bring myself to buy it. And knowing Blizzard the prices will remain astronomical for a while.

- Coach

Tue May 01, 2012 1:03 pm
Minor Diety

Satis wrote:
You're running Windows 7 32 bit!? Why!

Because my CPU is fucked, if I run it in 64 bit I get BSOD's like a bitch. :( I can't afford a new one, so I guess I have to suffer :( :(

And no worries. It really was a good game, you feel more like you are actually hitting the enemies in this - which for a top-down ARPG, is pretty impressive.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Wed May 02, 2012 4:44 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/diablo-ii ... 439-5.html

Diablo 3 Benchmarked. Anything above 550Ti can play it maxed up to 2500x1500ish.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon May 07, 2012 3:39 pm
Minor Diety

I played it maxed on the beta on a 3 year old rig, reckon I'm good to go for release :D (Play Skyrim on High usually) Have 4Gb RAM, Win 7 64 bit, i5 750 cpu and and nVidia GTS 250 graphics. Don't think this is going to be an uber demanding game luckily! :)

Tue May 08, 2012 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next