It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Baldur's Gate 
Emperor

Post Baldur's Gate
What to say... I still crave this game and play the first and the second part frequently. I would really like to see some new extensions to the game or better new games with the same spirit (although not necessarily with the story centered around Bhaal's children) in the same engine.

Sadly, I hadn't any luck while looking in the stores for any of other games (IWD, Torment) which were made in this engine.

Just telling you all guys what's on my mind. I'm not expecting anyone to solve these problems. :P

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:40 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

IWD is hard to get hold of now. If you get lucky you can pick up the IWD box set (IWD + expansion + IWD2 + expansion) for £14.99 but its veeeeery hard to find. It's also the only way I've seen it in...oh two years?

*pats own copies* hehe.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

For me the BG saga is still the best game(s) ever.

The fact that i'm totally drunk now doens't change anything to that. I love wine degustations. :)

ps: dams you have no idea how many times i had to use backspace here.

Btw IWD (2) was available very cheap here already a while back (see my topic about that, dunno when). I might be willing to check out my shipping costs to serbia or wherever you're at now if i can still find a cheap copy.

~King of Thieves~

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:01 pm
Stranger

IWD 3inbox is sold everywhere all over Tallinn, can find it in any shop, so i guess yer out of luck pal :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:04 pm
Felix Rex

Man, I love reading your posts. Do me a Favour, don't ever completely learn the English language!
Freeman wrote:
Damn what I screwed now... :?

lol at gfree. At least I can understand what he's saying without having to work at it too hard now. Quite a difference from what he was like several years ago. :)

I'll second that I love BG as much or more than any other RPG ever. Wonderful game. I don't necessarily think the engine was why... I bet if the same people came together with modern technology it would have still been a great game. It's the story and character development and stuff that made the game so awesome.

Anyway, here's to hoping some of the games on the horizon will match that quality.

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, I can only agree (of course). When replaying the entire saga recently I found myself awed by the amazing scope of the games. How you start out in BG1, caught in an -at first- very simplistic plot about power and money (the Iron Throne trying to control the iron market by creating an artificial shortage) which gradually turns into much, much more...a conspiracy that encompasses almost the entire city as almost everyone of power is replaced by doppelgangers to do the bidding of (it turns out) Sarevok, who usurped the Iron Throne erh; throne.

At the end of BG1 Sarevok's motives and your role in them seemed somewhat unclear, and even though the story was unmatched there was not really a charismatic antagonist that you loved to hate. Until BG2 and Jon Irenicus appeared; of course. :D What a villain.

In terms of storyline ToB wasn't anything special, but it had such an epic quality, you know? You became so powerful that it defied imagination (if you're vaguely familiar with AD&D rules that is).

To me, what made the BG series so special is that everything tied together so beautifully; so seamlessly, with believable characters and sometimes very dark elements; most importantly the question of how you will fight the taint of Bhaal which grew stronger in you with every dead Bhaalspawn.

Erh...BG 4 life holmes

- Coach

Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:28 am
Emperor

For me, BG1 was a story for itself. Since BG2 everything started getting shape of a movie, which I didn't like really (and I still don't). The thing that I missed the most was the freedom that BG1 has: no matter on which chapter you are, almost all areas of game are accessible to you. And they're so damn many in comparison to BG2.

Now, let consider how I was playing BG1, when I got it for the first time:

- I didn't know that I can change STR/CON/DEX/CHA/WIS/INT stats. I believed it's always the same in the beginnig until I started game for the x-th time. And how? I took a look. Usually I wasn't even bothering to pay attention to that numbers. As well, I didn't know there are dices for getting HP on levelup. So... what happened: As I finished the game for the first time, my char was a real, total and absolute mediocre. Imoen had more HP than him.

- I did not have idea about what DND is. I was trying to elude arrows by running left-right Image and hoping it will miss. (and ranting as it followed me Image )

- I knew very few words of English and that it was. I didn't know what they talk, I didn't know what I answer. The story remained a total puzzle to me, as I finished the game for the first time. Image I had no idea what is happening out there, what I should do next and where I should go in order to do it. Imagine... it was a real W00T as I discovered there is a canalisation under Baldur's Gate. As well, I needed some time to realize that I can decide whether someone will attack me or not, by choosing different answers. But it was still combinatoric, not understanding the language.

- In the end, I didn't have any walkthroughs to help me passing the game. When I was stuck, I was usually doing search from the bottom to the top, searching up the whole world again and again till I find what I was looking for, or till I realize where it is. Image That's how I found secret places (few pixels on the map that you need to hover with mouse in order to get some cool stuff). The bad thing about it was that I started to believe there is such place on each map. I spent not hours but days searching for them. There was no luck, but I saw many details that an average player don't see. I mean lakes, rivers, terrain textures, neutral animals and their behavior, and even ambient sounds (ok, I didn't see them, I heard them) etc. After all, I can only say Bioware did a really great job making it all.

- In BG2, quests got longer, more complex and therewith more exciting. Indeed, that was something that BG1 didn't have. But, I will mention again the certain amount of linearity. If you're just came out of Irenicus' prison, you can't just break into underdark territory, by simply stumbling on the right door.

Currently I am spending big portions of my free time with BG2 but only because that's the version I have in German (yeah, now I learn German that way). If I had BG1 in German, I think that would be another story.

Last edited by RB on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:31 pm
Emperor

Nah... I was a kid. Image If you asked me then who's Sarevok, I'd tell you either he was a Santa Claus or honestly that I do not know. :P (ok, exaggerated again) Today I master the game and its content, but right that kills the real joy of exploration and turns out to be sole catching original phrases (in English and German) that are in plenty in the game.

By the way... I just got Planescape: Torment. Image Will spend it slowly and silently. No walkthroughs, no hurry. Image

flashback
Few years ago, I was planning to open a small encyclopedia where each BG character will have its place. I even made a small site with about 100 of them. Maybe some day I get bored enough from doing nothing to sit down and do the thing, completely and properly.

p.s.
This was 40.800th aricle here.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Emperor

Torment don't smell me well in the beginning. I've spent a very sixth of a day there and I still didn't do some serious smash or trash... nor I found merchants for all sorts of things I'd like to sell. Sigh... let's hope it's gonna be different later.

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]