It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic 
Minor Diety

Post Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
I'm still very excited about this game...check out the E3 cinematic trailer if you like:

http://www.gamershell.com/download_13708.shtml

It's only 10mb and pretty cool and relatively "adult" and dark. I don't get too excited about cinematics trailers anymore but this one is sweet, even though it's short. It's not as sweet as Hellgate London's cinematic trailer, but very few things are. :twisted:

- Coach

Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:53 pm
Minor Diety

I couldn't help wondering what Sarevok is doing there though :P

~King of Thieves~

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:06 am
Minor Diety

If you liked that and can be bothered, there's a 400mb E3 footage thing on gamershell too

http://www.gamershell.com/download_13746.shtml

granted, it's freaking huge...but it's 7-8 minutes cool gameplay. :) The Ai looks sweet...kinda cool when you see an Orc grab a goblin and throw him into a ravine, just cos he's annoying. :D

cool spells (freezing, shrinking, telekinesis etc.), sweet sword moves and responsive AI. And a reputed development team. Should be out by September. :P

A review from gamespy about 2 weeks old here

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/might-and-magic/705834p1.html

Quote:
Mind you, the fortuitousness of its imminent debut isn't in any way the biggest reason why you should be excited about it. In its own right, the game looks pretty brilliant, and not only from a purely visual standpoint. After seeing the game in action at Ubisoft's pre-E3 event in San Francisco, this heretical skeptic was made into borderline devout believer.

Quote:
I haven't even mentioned how good Dark Messiah looks, but in this case, images are much more effective. Regardless, the game can't come out soon enough. If half of the things that Ubisoft is promising end up panning out, then this could be one of the best games of this year. It's kind of unseemly to speak about a yet-to-be-released game with such enthusiasm, but if ever a games journalist should be trusted for his earnestness, this is that very case. We'll keep an eye on this one at the show, so if there's anything new to report, you'll hear it here first.

- Coach

Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:42 am
Minor Diety

Downloading it now ... it takes a freaking 15 minutes to download .. must be patient. Does Sarevok acts in it again :wink:

I'll give my impressions on it later.

~King of Thieves~

Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:06 am
Felix Rex

I saw it. It looks pretty cool. But at the same time, the Valve engine thing looks really aging. Where're my real time shadows? Where're my shaders?

The gameplay looks like it'll be pretty damned good, but the graphics just aren't so impressive any more. I've been spoiled by things like quake IV and oblivion.

Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I can relate to what you're saying...especially the detail on the character models (on the orcs etc) is totally inferior to the one in, say, Oblivion. And the environment looks very square-ish in interiors. In terms of vast open spaces and distance etc I find that Source is still doing a top notch job in this demo trailer tho. But meh, yeah, it's not a graphical killer. :)

It's the gameplay (and the developer) that got me interested in it in the first place. I love Oblivion to death, but the melee combat is very, VERY repetitive. The extra power attacks you gain while getting better are virtually useless imho...so it's just hack hack block dodge hack hack. It looks like they're opening up a larger range of possibilities in DM.

Also really digged the orc picking you and kicking/throwing you across the room. That "felt" great. And that the enemies use the physics against you.

- Coach

Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:13 pm
Felix Rex

btw, for you people on mini broadbad.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Pff :P do you have (virtually) unlimited down- and upload every month too?

I'm on a 10 gig down/up limit a month. :cry: I can buy chunks of 5 gig extra, but still. Belgian providers are notorious for their awful price/content. Especially compared to countries like the US, Holland, Germany, you name it. Ah well...I guess i'll just suck it up and live with it. :evil:

- Coach

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:53 pm
Minor Diety

I don't understand how Belgian ISP's can keep their data limits. Sounds like a market with opportunities for foreign ISPs.
I believe I'm on 10Mbs or something like that, I should test that once. The only drawback is a monthly 50 GB upload cap, after that my upload is throttled. Not bad for a few euro's a month. :wink:

Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:35 am
Felix Rex

I have "unlimited" upload and download. There are no contractual upload or download limits, though if you really push it I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon cut you off. I get 15mb/s down and 2mb/s up by contract....in actuality, I can get as much as 1500KB/sec download and around 200KB/sec up.

If someone tried to put a bandwidth cap on me, either up or down, I'd change providers. Being in Dallas has advantages...if cable pisses me off (and it did) I can switch to DSL or fiber. I could probably find some more esoteric broadband too, like satelite or something.

Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

You're all bastards. Now if you will excuse me, i'll have to go use up my 10 gig of up/down. :cry:

- Coach

Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:11 am
Minor Diety

Pev alerted me today that the DM demo is out! 1.5 freaking gig!

http://www.gamershell.com/download_14927.shtml

I haven't installed it yet (will do so in a bit) but Pev told me it's pretty neat. And that it sometimes locks up her pc. :(

- Coach

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:26 pm
Minor Diety

yup, its pretty nice, don't like the fact i'm limited to first person view, but got used to that.

Graphics are very nice, didn't even have it right the way up I don't think, and the sounds are pretty good (not always great though). Plus as Ox mentioned, sometimes my pc locks up after the cinematics (fades to black, then never fades back in, have to restart pc).

Gameplay is pretty cool. The tutorial is good just for the fun factor; nothing challenging but you learn the stuff you need to know. It seems to play a bit like Tombraider x Prince of Persia x Severance. You then head into a 'real' level, where you get to level up your skills a little bit, then head into some slightly tougher fights (still fairly easy, but more than just one enemy). The fights should be downright amazing later on; you can win really easily if you're smart about it, or you can hack them down to their last breath. There are no visible hp bars for opponents, so it is far more realistic (except when you get a 'fatality'; hold down your power attack and its an instant kill!)

Plenty of gore in there too; stick the buggers on spikes, impale the bastards, blow them up... you name it.

Strafing is a bit buggered; compared to forward steps, you seem to leap sideways. But other than that, this is looking to be a damned good game.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

graphic .. surprisingly good. I don't recall seeing shadows in the e3 video...but there're shadows. So, surprisingly good. I DID jack the graphics all the way up (except for AA) and my PC did some stuttering...but at this point I'm not exactly cutting edge.

gameplay ... I can already tell I'll be kicking all the time. Kicking is a neat little thing, but it shoudln't become a central gameplay element. Sir Arthur never kicked! The spells were worthless, or damn near so. The fire thing took way too many hits to actually kill an enemy...unless it's meant for utilities. The ice is neat, but anyway, I was unimpressed with the spells. I never did try the fire trap. I hope the levelling system isn't lame... if that stuff really makes a difference, nice.

ai doesn't seem all that smart. I popped a guy with an arrow when I was making my way up... unsurprisingly he didn't die.... but he promptly forgot about me. If someone hits me with an arrow, I personally won't forget.

Lastly, for being a 1.5GB download, the demo sure was short.

So...anyway, I 'll probably get it. The graphics are neat. Some stuff makes me nervous, but at least the graphics don't suck.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

the fire trap is nice. Small detonate radius, but once they do go close enough, they don't get back up. Apparently you can light and throw bottles of oil too.

Agree that the levelling could be dodgy, we'll have to see on that. And from the short comment, I'm assuming the big boss guy is the end of it.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next