It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Looking for a good RPG 
King

Post Looking for a good RPG
Im looking for a good RPG to play. I have a urge to play one even though Im not a big RPG fan.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:43 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Then i suggest you do what all the other RPG fans are doing...wait for Oblivion!

Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:23 am
Minor Diety

lol or pick up a cheap copy of Morrowind/Divine Divinity/Beyond Divinity/Sacred/Diablo 2

Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

M mm, i think he'll find them dated and empty... except for one. The last great RPG was Morrowind. Give that ago. It'll sure as hell train you up for Oblivion.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:19 pm
Minor Diety

Morrowind is definitely the one RPG that blows all the others away, but it depends if you can handle the vastness and the liberty you're being given. Many ppl feel lost when they start Morrowind...like "ok, wtf do I need to do?"; because the game really allows you to ignore the main quest altogether and live a life outside of it.

Erh, anyway, Morrowind + Tribunal+Bloodmoon (its expansions) should keep you busy for weeks, if not months.

More "on-rail" RPG's are Dungeon Siege II, Fable, Vampire: Bloodlines, Sat Wars: KoToR II. From those I recommend Bloodlines for its atmosphere, but it is really heavy on the ole' machine and needs serious patching. Kotor II is a very big 'maybe', if they patched it a lot by now. It was positively riddled with bugs.

Then there's the older RPG's that still pwn j00. Baldur's Gate II + Throne of Bhaal still make for great gaming even today...there's Icewind Dale II which is very enjoyable and last but definitely not least: Kotor I. All of these should be really cheap by now and are top quality. From these I recommend Kotor I because it's one of the best storylines I've ever seen in a game and the graphics are still fairly recent. :)

So, to summarize: Morrowind and expansions for long and intense immersion fun. Bloodlines if you want a graphically speaking superb RPG with a good atmosphere and don't mind installing some patches first; and have a monster pc. Kotor I for solid quality entertainment RPG in the Star Wars universe (that should be a plus for you :wink: ).

All of these three are on budget lines, so you won't even have to spend a lot of cash. :) Let us know what you went for.

Last edited by Rinox on Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:11 am
Minor Diety

BGII is the best RPG I think. You didn't mention Planescape: Torment. It's supposed to be one of the best RPG's ever made, but I never played more then a few hours. The graphics on that one are very dated. BGII still looks nice in 1024 x 768 though.
Personally I don't really dig the Morrowind hype. The RPG I'm waiting for is Dragon Age, but that's gonna take at least a year before it'll be released.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:51 am
Minor Diety

dont go for Fable. I love the game, but it'll be over in 2 days. Plus the PC version doesn't work with SP2 on most computers. And no, it hasn't been patched after being out around 3 months....

Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I played fable...I hated it. It just didn't seem to have any heart. Or something. I'm not sure. I don't know if it's because it lacked depth, or that the areas are so small and linear, or what, but I really didn't like the game. I played a good ways into the game and just got sick of it.

So anyway, that's a vote against fable from me.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]