It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 8:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Impossible fight (?) 
Minor Diety

No clue...I think she must be part of the asylum mod. Btw, morale failure can't be helped by dispels/resist fears etc., iirc. Normally speaking it wears off, but maybe this girl is set to be like that constantly, dunno.

- Coach

Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:28 am
Minor Diety

I guess i'll have to ignore her then. If you decide to install the impossbile asylum mod, try to do your bard song, maybe that will boost her morale or something. Can't try that since i have no bard.

*minor update*

I'm currently getting my ass kicked by Sahuagin .. :shock:

Improved Sahuagin City

In "classic" AD&D, Sahuagin were 2-hitdice monsters, clearly way below the level of a BGII opponent. This improvement assumes that you are facing the cream of the crop of the Sahuagin: 12-20 hit dice (from standard warriors up to the kings and princes). They now behave like Archers, using crossbows and their special Sahuagin Paralytic Bolts to good effect. At close range they use spears. Beware: Called Shot +
Paralytic Bolt is a combo (watch your saves). The Priestesses are now 14/14 Cleric/Mages and make better use of their innate powers (the original game gives them a fun "Anti-Magic Zone" effect, but I bet you've never even seen it ...). The old tactic of "cloudkilling from offscreen" should be harder to use. Sahuagin now rise again as undead when slain and
concentrate on summoning the Eel Thingies while living. The Priestess that holds the Cloak of Cheese (which is completely optional) can now summon a Minor Avatar of Sekolah: watch out, it can swallow you whole or cause massive bleeding. Finally, we unify Sahuagin XP (which used to vary between 175 and 3000) based on hit dice.

The Sahauagin City may actually be too difficult for some out-of-Spellhold parties now. That's fine, it is optional. :-)

CRAAAAAAAAAAP!! :evil:

~King of Thieves~

Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:03 am
Minor Diety

I've had some really heroic fights, one with the Priestess that summons that Minor Avatar of Sekolah. And one with a lich from the trapped souls thingie in the underdark. The one with the lich i lost, i managed to kill him, but his pit fiend gated in a friend. That one gated in a friend as well. And that one decided to gate one in as well when his buddies died. A few fireballs too much for my mages so reloading time it was.

The priestess was a real cool fight, my fighter/cleric and my 2 thiefs didn't survive in the end so i had to pull out my wand of ressurection. At a certain point i had to rush into melee with my 2 mages, uncapable of casting spells, with only the aid of the berserker from the horn of walhalla, while hoping that my anti-paladin that was under the influence of horror wouldn't run into a sahuagin party.

But the victory afterwards made it all worthwhile. I love these mods.

~King of Thieves~

Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:47 am
Minor Diety

The one with the lich i lost, i managed to kill him, but his pit fiend gated in a friend. That one gated in a friend as well. And that one decided to gate one in as well when his buddies died.

lol....that's the way we like it. ;) Good that you're enjoying that stuff, and way to go kicking their asses. :D My party is still on hold somewhere in the docks district....I'll get around to finishing that game eventually.

- Coach

Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:59 am
Minor Diety

I think i'll have to back up from a fight again. Maybe it's duable, but it will just take too much effort and time. I'm talking about the beholder lair in the underdark here. A 'gathering' off 3 beholders and 2 gauths get's backup from 2 beholders, and they have 2 beholders, an elder orb and a hive mother coming to their aid. My game even starts to lag when they're all in my screen :?

Only downside is that i won't be able to forge the Equalizer, but i never used that weapon anyway. Fuck the beholders, i'll rather kick some kua-toa ass than lose my time there. Btw illithid city went rather smooth, to my big surprise.

~King of Thieves~

Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:12 pm
Minor Diety

lol...I remember those beholders. That was some good XP. :) The equalizer isn't that fantastic anyway eh, so it's not really a big loss. Don't underestimate the kua-toa either, they're pretty tenacious bastards. I think I'm gonna continue my BG2 game tomorrow, clear a few areas and do a few main quests. Maybe drop another bard if it's too easy. Btw, did you use the shield of balduran? Or were you bare-handed ;)

- Coach

Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:14 pm
Minor Diety

No shield of balduran no. I bet with my reputation i can't afford it anymore either. I never ever bought that shield. It just doesn't seem right. Dunno.

Btw i think dumping a bard won't make things much harder now. You're relatively high level already i guess (compared to a party of 6), so your better abilities (of spells and combat) make up for a lack in numbers. Of course you won't have the many options of a party of 6, but let's say that at least in SoA you don't need them so often.
So basically i think dumping one will make it a bit harder now, but it can give serieus problems when in ToB. Just my eurocents.

~King of Thieves~

Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:08 am
Minor Diety

Don't underestimate the kua-toa either, they're pretty tenacious bastards.

They went down pretty easy i must say. One reload was needed but that was because my wild mage decided to kill half of my team, after destroying 200000 gold first. These wild surges sometimes can be very aggrevating.

Demon knight were a pushover as well, i read they were improved but didn't notice, they got my anti-paladin stunned but they failed to kill him, while i killed them all. Their 'dispel magic' in the beginning of the fight was something i forgot though.
Now i have the awesome +4 Soulreaver for my anti-paladin, cumulative 2 point penalty on every hit, eat that bastards :twisted:

~King of Thieves~

Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:17 pm
Minor Diety

I would hardly call the demon knights a push-over ;) So it seems like you're on quite some strength already...you'll need it for ToB. :D Improved Demo awaits you. Did you install the Sola mod? It's a very well-written NPC, lots of dialogue, very few bugs. Interesting class too (drow fighter/mage). That mod packs along a few whoopass fights too. (Eclipse for one...that bastard took me some time, even if I was only 4 ppl, I think)

Maybe you can install the sola mod afterwards, and CLUAconsole yourself to the fight, cos you're kinda past the part where you can pick sola up anyhoo. (not to mention party space etc.)

Here's readme on the eclipse

Q: I'm getting my head handed to me on a platter by the Eclipse party.
Dude, what were you thinking?

A1: They're do-able, really. Actually, my big concern used to be that
they're too easy to be a ToB challenge. Having play-tested them a bit more,
that's no longer my concern :-). However, Keldorn and Solaufein should be
able to take down at least half of them by themselves (depending on how you
guided the romance). [In fewer than 10 tries] I was able to defeat the
entire gang on Impossible with a F/T, Sola and Keldorn. Of course, Keldorn
was gibbed and Sola died. :-(

A2: Read the file solarom\README-Eclipse.txt for Gwion's analysis of the
Eclipse foes. That file is ON YOUR HARDDRIVE, not on my webserver.

A3: If you lower the diffuclty level to "Normal" they get 6 seconds of
timestop every two rounds instead of every other round. If you move it down
to "Easiest" they get 6 seconds of timestop eveyr 3 rounds *and* all of
their buffs are dispelled before the fight starts.

Q: Somehow, that's not reassuring. Any real hints?

A1: Well, the standard tricks of trapping the area to hell and back
in advance probably won't work since they send in some fodder beforehand.
Time Stop and Time Trap are pretty poor choices to use against them. The
normal method for this sort of party is to ignore the fighters, take out
the mages and then go back for the fighters. However, these guys put a lot
of pressure on you real fast -- it's not clear that you can ignore the
fighters for too long. Try dispelling their buffs first (important:
improved hasted regenerators regenerate twice as fast!), then nuking the
area with multiple dragon's breaths. Protection from magic weapons and
stoneskin are a must. Try to trick them into attacking someone who is
protected from magic weapons. If you want to keep your spells alive, take
down the Sorcerer early. Try to avoid ever being hit by the fighters
because blindness is seriously annoying. This is tricky, because they will
use Critical Strike and Smite to ensure that they hit you. Also, the
fighters are basically immune to missile damage. They're tough because
they're buffed up fighters who combine Improved Haste, Critical Strike and
Regeneration. Consider doing something similar yourself. Oh, and don't have
your whole party stand in one spot. That would be suboptimal :-). The magic
users use the "cast and attack" trick (that you should be using) in
conjunction with Energy Blades ... that hurts. Use Physical Mirror or
something to block their missile attacks (they're doing it to you). Also,
notice that when they start fighting, Solaufein invokes Eilistraee and she
grants him her protection (which turns out to be temporary immunity to
blindness, stun and timestop). Use that to your advantage. Try to take on
their warriors one at a time (if you can) -- I'd go for the Anti-Paladin or
the Kensai first. If you can get the warrios to drop their weapons in panic
they become *much* easier.

- Coach

Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:31 am
Minor Diety

Mm seemed interesting indeed, i thought that basically it made Solufain a playable character and added a romance option, must have overlooked the additional fights.

Demon knights were probably rather easy for me because i'm rather melee-heavy and that seems a weak spot. I mean i killed the first already before the others had time to teleport to me.

Things with Adalon went totally wrong btw, i didn't want the halberd the demon offers (i have no use for it) but i forgot that when you speak to Adalon she teleports you away. I thought "shit reloading time" but for fun i decided to attack Adalon instead of the drow. And i killed her :?
Anyway now i still have to reload to kill her in a decent way. Although i like the idea of pretending to tag along and when in a fight turn on her like an evil genius would do. Mwuhahahaha.

~King of Thieves~

Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:47 am
Minor Diety

New problem, not an unexpected one maybe: I managed to deal with Kangaxx his guardians (with difficulties, i really hate liches) and went down the stairs. Now how the hell am i supposed to kill him, without a berserker that is.
I'm having several difficulties killing his first form, mainly because he uses the invisibility with protection from divination trick. And after that, when he turns into his true form, he teleports everybody around, exposing several unprotected partymembers (i can get some to use a spell immunity spell but not all of them). And since i can't protect my anti-paladin which is my main character .. it's over quickly. I haven't tried a protection from undead scroll yet, but since he dispels magic often, it won't help much either. So any suggestions, is he duable?

Btw on several occasions kangaxx doesn't turn into gaxx but keeps running around casting spells. No matter how much damage i do he doesn't transform. Really frustrating if you spend your time trying to kill him. Must be some bug.

~King of Thieves~

Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:21 pm
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
protection from magic on your anti-paladin? at lease then if he is isolated then it wont be instant reload.

Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:09 am
Minor Diety

Mm 3' radius, that might protect everybody. It only lasts 10 turns though. So i will have to kill his first form before casting the scroll. And hope his first form doesn`t cast Imprisonment either, i noticed he does that sometimes.

This seems to be a chance though, prolly my best, i'll test it if i'm there, went to do some other quests first. It's gonna cost me though, since with my reputation i'll easily have to pay 150000 gold for this scroll, and no pickpocketing ability with Ribald.

Other suggestions are still welcome (Ox, how do you kill him?)

~King of Thieves~

Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:17 am
Minor Diety

FFS, where did my previous text go?! :/ Anyway, here we go again. Dragon's breath and comet will do the job if you have em. :twisted:

Other than that, for weapons; mace of disruption +2, hands down. You're not sorting other superb equipment so far so that's what you gotta go for, hoping for a failed save and bye-bye gaxx. :) Is Kuroisan's blade +5? If so, use that suckah. And all other +5 weaponry of course.

Erh, let's see. Spellwise: protection from abjuration (memorize two if he dspels the first one immideately), memorize heaps of Melf's minute meteors, and some death wards. Also, use improved haste on the char wielding the mace of disruption...will double his attacks.

There's a bug where you can place scrolls (spell immunity abjuration in this case) into fighter quickslots, but that's kinda lame of course :) Protection from magic will go a long way protecting your main char, like BJ said. If you would buy the scrolls, remember to let it be cast by a simulacrum while the scroll is in your mage's quickslot...that way you won't lose the scroll, in case you'll need it later on.

Sorry if I’m not much of a help here, been a while since I played that battle and doing this from the top of my head. I either had a char that could shield himself from imprisonment, or had a prot. From magic scroll. :roll:

Oh, you always have slayer change if you REALLY need it, of course. ;) Slayer pwnz all.

- Coach

Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:48 pm
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
There's a bug where you can place scrolls (spell immunity abjuration in this case) into fighter quickslots, but that's kinda lame of course :)

the old potion swap eh? :wink:

i cant remeber if you had a thief or not but you can always do the old steal/sell in maevars hall until you have the cash for the prot from magic scroll. :twisted:

Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next