It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
Dragon Age - Satis 
Minor Diety

I dunno. I like having a penalty for dying. I didn't like the Kotor-NWN2 system where you would "pass out" when reaching zero health and just get up like nothing happened when the battle was over. But the BG2 system of having to raise from the dead/resurrect with spells and scrolls wasn't exactly ideal either. Overall though, it feels like a good payoff between penalty and ease-of-use (besides some conditions may hamper your character very little depending on their class - warrior with cracked skull, penalty to cunning? Hah!)

But yeah, in the beginning of the game they can be annoying because you don't know how to make (decent) injury kits yourself yet and they cost too much in stores to drag around.

As for playing on hard....it was ok, really. :P I had to redo most boss battles a few times, but in most cases not more than twice. However, some did take me 10+ tries. I think it's mostly a question of adjusting to the challenge...if you'd played on hard I'm sure you'd start playing differently after a while and think out strategies to fool the AI (which isn't all that smart often - some of the opponents will keep attacking a character in force field almost endlessly, even when they're clearly not achieving ANYTHING with it). :roll:

/doesn't say antyhing re: inventory overload :wink: jk

EDIT: I once had Sten walking around in the Deep Roads with 12 (!) injuries. Bastard went down at the drop of a hat.

- Coach

Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:16 am
Felix Rex

I'm actually turning Morrigan into a healer... I picked up the first tier heal skill. If there were a spell to heal injuries, I'd pick that up too, but there doesn't appear to be any such beast. Thankfully she comes with the ability to make healing poultices, so I made a bunch of those.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

I'm actually turning Morrigan into a healer... I picked up the first tier heal skill. If there were a spell to heal injuries, I'd pick that up too, but there doesn't appear to be any such beast. Thankfully she comes with the ability to make healing poultices, so I made a bunch of those.

There is one in the school of Spirit healer.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:44 pm
Felix Rex

ah, good to know, thanks. That'll definitely be a future choice for me then. I kinda wish I could re-roll all her skills, ditch some of the useless ones she comes with and just build her from scratch.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

You're not the only one. There's a mod out that allows you to respec skills. But i personally consider it to be cheating a lot more than putting a storage chest in your basecamp. ;)

In a way I understand the idea of changing a few basic skills that aren't character-central, but seeing as Morrigan is a manipulative shapeshifting witch it only makes sense for her to come with a shapeshifter specialization and primal (elemental) and mental domination spells. In some ways it's essential to her character, which is probably also why I never invested in any healing spells for her and just kept pouring points into primal and other shit. :roll: Would probably have been easier to do so, though.

P.S. Morrigan will only teach you to be a shapeshifter if you're not too close yet, iirc. So don't forget to ask her in time (or don't become friends with her, whatever).

- Coach

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:35 am
Stranger

It is the 4th spell in the spirit healer spelltree but its not a spell per definiton, its an ability that requires upkeep.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:51 am
Felix Rex

oh, ok. I was looking at the spells and couldn't figure it out. I'll check it again next time I play.

BTw, I finished the forest. The final battle was freakin' tough. :evil: I died like 15-20 times on freakin' normal before getting irritated and just setting it to easy. :roll: Once on easy I beat it first try, of course. This game is ridiculous for difficulty.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Actually the fight is quite manageable once you figure out that if you charge the main guy with everything in your arsenal and crowdcontrolling the rest. Plus as i said before healing potions are part of the core battle mechanic, trying to use them as a last resort will result in failure. It took me two tries on normal, the first one failed when i tried to mop up the randoms and the other one succeeded because i threw everything i had at the main guy.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:19 am
Felix Rex

I tried taking out the random pops at first... I actually did best that way to begin with. then I went after the main guy and got pwnt...and pwnt...and pwnt. I did use potions heavily.

*spoiler*

Apparently it's possible to free up the werewolves to fight with you, but I lacked a dispelling capability. The guy also loved to freeze my peeps, which resulted in them being pummeled into submission.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:23 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha, kind of surprised you went that way in that quest Satis. What with you being a Dalish elf and all and the werewolves, well, scum (once). :roll:

Even I got him to lift the curse, and I didn't give a shit about the elves or their cause per se. I just thought that there had been enough vengeance and it was time to end.

- Coach

Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am
Felix Rex

I must not have been very convincing. I tried that but he just decided to repeatedly rape me instead. Oh well, whatever, I'm past that. I'm now at the redcliffe village or something (back on normal difficulty).

BTW, I'm not seeing that spell that heals injuries. Can someone tell me the name? I looked at the spell list till my ears bled.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

http://www.gamebanshee.com/cgi-bin/sear ... nts.id=184

4th tier spirit healer skill however, so prolly won't be using it anytime soon

- Coach

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:46 pm
Felix Rex

yea, ok, so my Morrigan does not have that spell. Or the spirit healer tree. Is that one of those trees she has to pick up at level 14 then? I'm guessing so.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, it's one of the mage class specializations (like her starting one, shapeshifter) that you can choose at level 7 and 14. Since she already is a shapeshifter you'd indeed have to wait until level 14 to give her another specialization.

Don't forget you have to learn the specialization from an NPC or a manual first. I'll make it easier for you and say that there is an NPC who's a spirit healer. :roll: That'll probably save you SOME frustration. I'm not gonna say who and where he/she is for spoiler reasons, but just know that it's possible you'll kill him/her before ever knowing he/she is a full-fledged NPC. I did. :?

If all else fails, just put Morrigan on healing potion production duty. You can buy unlimited elfroot from the Dalish merchant in the Brecilian Forest and the other ingredients (concentrator agents, distillation agents, flasks etc) are also in limitless supply in your base camp.

I did the entire game on hard with one mage and no healing spells, just potions. And waiting for auto health regen (goes quickly enough, except for people with massive HP). So don't worry about being fucked up the ass too much. :)

- Coach

Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:31 am
Felix Rex

heh...thanks. I'm putting more point into her healing tree... the regeneration spell looks like it'll be a lot of help to my poor allistair tank. He tends to get beat up pretty seriously. Still poking around the village.. I found some dwarf with his minions holed up in a shack and murdered them. :roll: I'm actually trying to play good this time around... when I replay this, I'll be a total bastard.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next