It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Guild Wars 2 
Minor Diety

Post Guild Wars 2
Check the first trailer :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/08 ... more-16306

The art looks good, but the terrain just blew me away. Looks incredibly cool to be honest.

- Coach

Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:01 am
Minor Diety

There were a few reasons why I didn't really pickup GW at the time. I felt a kind of subconscious competitivism to whole MMO affair where basically you were just a piece of shit unless you were lvl 900 with adamantium machine gun. Also, the atmospheric element was kinda crap due to kids playing and fairly rubbish plots or quests. I did enjoy the intuitive combat mechanics and overall look though.

I have a hardon thinking about coop RPG's these days, which don't truly exist yet to my knowledge. Wouldn't it be cool to have a coop RPG where you can only progress with quests if you're playing with a friend but offline youre free to roam around (trading, fighting, levelling).

Anyway, hopefully GW2 is just that, but I doubt it. :lol:

Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:03 am
Minor Diety

Actually, one of the things that were cool about GW was that you didn't have to be level 161 with a diamond-encrusted AK. Level cap was very low and rather easily reached (bumming out a lot of the levelling whores) and even elite skills weren't that hard to come by if you had a good group. For some classes equipment could be expensive, but mostly it was all fairly democratic. The difference between a level 19 and level 20 player was pretty small, too. Compare that to WoW were a level 30 player is exponentionally stronger than a level 28 player...no, GW was well-designed in that regard.

Other than that it was of course full of the usual MMORPG dickwaving contest grindaloo, but hey. :)

I hope that co-op RPG will be The Old Republic Derf. ;) But it's a pretty good point actually, I think there would be a market for a proper co-op RPG. I mean a classic RPG like BG2 or KOTOR but built with co-op in mind - kinda like L4D but an RPG. You could work in all sorts of neat plot twists like one player being seperated from the group for a while, even allowing betrayal at some points. If we had money and actual programming skill, we could have drilled that gold mine for many monies. :o

- Coach

Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:17 am
Minor Diety

Quite so, GW1 was the total opposite to a typical MMO! Still had the bratty community though... (and still does, not surprising with 6mil playing). Trouble is those brats forced the elitist attitude on everyone else; instead of being 'omg you're not lvl 80 get out of my group' it was 'omg you don't have *perfect ranger build x* get out of my group'.

Anyway I can't wait for GW2. I've wanted it since it was announced anyway because I prefer the lots of levels/persistant world (GW wasn't an MMO it was merely a multiplayer game with the towns acting as 'graphical lobbies' and the instances being your own private servers).

I have to say that the world looks absolutely beautiful, though not that different from GW (which is a testament to how gorgeous GW has always been). The musical and graphical/artwork teams are clearly 99% the same; if you had shown me that without the voiceover I would have just assumed it was GW. Absolutely stunning.

Not heard much on 'end-game' play by the way, but I know you can easily solo everything in GW2 whilst levelling (or at least that is the plan) and you can still just go with henchman to those places that are easier with a group, you just get slightly less reward than doing it with real people.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

I wonder will they try to release before or after SW. Also with the rumors of a new blixxard mmo in the works i think their timing has to be pretty much perfect.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:09 pm
Felix Rex

Hopefully this game'll be fun. And I agree with everyone's previous comments on the crappiness of the average MMO dork.

On the other hand, Shiny and I would dual-monk groups and put those people in their places. If someone pissed us off, we'd just let them die. Occasionally we'd even use vengeance or that elite rez skill that basically just lets them die over and over again... vengeance is a rez that lasts 30 seconds (then they die again), and that other one keeps them alive as long as you maintain the spell.... so if they piss us off, we cancel the spell and they die again. Freakin' awesome stuff.

:twisted: Great memories doing Thunderhead Keep as the asshole monks.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I was in some of those raids. :roll: Hehehe.

Also, much more (and interesting) information on GW2 inbound today with the trailer...guessing a "do not release information before..." agreement witht he media expired today.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/guild ... -preview_4

- Coach

Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:16 pm
Minor Diety

Knowing a-net they won't release before they're ready. So even if they aim to be SW:OR they won't if it isn't ready. Besides, they don't need to, they have Aion coming out next month so that'll tide them over for a while.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:41 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

ust got an email about GW2 being at PAX this year. Anyway, there was this tidbit

Quote:
Wings for Guild Wars characters? Yes! For a limited time when you purchase a copy of Aion, you will receive an exclusive Guild Wars emote that allows you to summon a pair of flashy Aion wings on your Guild Wars characters.

lols...so lame. Preorder and get a freakin' emote for another game!

Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:26 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

rofl I'm preordering Aion at work tomorrow just so I can give the beta weekend a go (actually better check when that is, might be on holiday...)

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Post Re: Guild Wars 2
Is it me, or is this game taking WAY too long?

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

haha, getting bored of Rift are we? ;)

And Arenanet pretty much gambled their entire future and company on the success of GW2 so I suppose they figure what the hell, better take our time with this thing. There are rumors it may come out in 2011, but nothing's certain.

- Coach

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:41 am
Felix Rex

nah, not tired of rift yet, but I think I'll be done in another month or two. It's still fun for now, though.

It just blows my mind how long ago we played GW1.. and we played that game for awhile (definitely more than a year, maybe 2). And then we quit. and it's been YEARS since. And still no GW2. I know it takes awhile to make a game, but damn.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, it's a while ago. Getting old. :(

- Coach

Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:41 am
Minor Diety

It's 5 years as of about... 5 days ago that GW was released. Yes I knew that without looking it up, that's how (sadly) awesome the release weekend was! hehe. But anyway check the official vids out, there's been quite a lot released the last couple of months and it looks downright amazing.

Sun May 01, 2011 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next