It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Weapons 
Minor Diety

Post Weapons
Is it true that Hammer mastery is ultimately better than swordsmanship.

e.g., i will never be able to do damage with the sword as much as the hammer (or axe?)?

Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:25 am
Minor Diety

well it depends. I'm not sure on max damage of weapons, but hammer probably does most damage base. However it depends on skills, situations, what you intend to do... i.e. sometimes when we get together as the clankiller group, my ranger serves them better for interupting skills than actually causing damage. Plus they have different skills. Hammer consists of a lot of knockdowns and interupts, sword tends to rely on gashing and making them bleed (constant dmg over a period of time) I *think* in the sword line is a skill that does extra damage if the enemy is under 20% health or something, so in that case, that skill may do more damage than any hammer one. Just try them out and choose what you like. You can swap around whenever you like anyway.

Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I finished the game with my warrior as a hammer warrior.

Now I'm doing swords and axes interchangeably.

By the time you get most of the way through the game, warriors aren't there to do damage. They do some, but it's nothing compared to mesmers and eles and stuff. They're just mainly there to soak up damage.

In that case, a hammer sucks because you can't have a shield. A shield gives a bonus to armor and gives you a cool defensive skill (several). As swords, there are some other great defensive skills, too.

Anyway, it can be played however you want. There's no 'right' way...though there are plenty of wrong ways.

Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yes, swords are the way of the tanking warrior. Hammers are the way of the damage/knockdown warrior. Axes are the way of the condition-warrior (guys that are expert at bleeding, deep wounds, etc.).

Swords do crap-all damage at higher levels, but then that goes for most weapons. But you can equip a shield, and with come a few defensive stance that are very useful for good tanking. Also, swords have a few great skills that "block" an attack and deal a good amount of damage instead (riposte & deadly riposte).

I say that until you get to the later levels, it doesn't really matter what weapon you choose. But for the later PVE fighting, it's probably best to go with swords. For PVP, hammers or Axes are a better choice. (Hammers especially, knocking down enemy monks and eles is the way to go in PVP).

Check my counter-punch tank in the character builds thread if ya like...that'll give you an idea of what type of warrior I am at hi-lvl PVE'ing. There are links to all the skills too. :) And without boasting, it's a great tanking char. Pev can testify that I can last a long time on my own, given the right circumstances. And pwn bosses. :twisted:

Erh, anyway, if you got more questions, shoot. Warriors ftw! Even if I mist say I'm really digging my ele/mes....so many options!

- Coach

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:04 am
Felix Rex

well, I thought I'd report I got my second green today. :)

I now have The Bludgeoner

as well as

The Rockmolder

Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:59 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

The Yakslapper

yay!

Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lucky bastard. I got my Yakslapper by giving my friend a Flints Fleshcleaver, and she didn't want the yaks so she gave it to me!!! Then i got another fleshcleaver... lol.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:40 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]