It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
One wall...two textures. 
Felix Rex

yes. When selecting a brush (a box, basically) you are probably using shift-click, which selects the whole brush. Alternately, you can use ctrl-shift-click (or ctl-shift-alt-click) and it will only select a certain face of a brush. That way you can use multiple textures on a single brush.

This is actually really important. I've pretty much given up making tutorials for quake since I quite playing it, but I think I mention the caulk texture in the ones I've done. You MUST caulk every brush face that's not visible to players... ie, stuff that borders on the void, or things that push up against another brush, etc.

The reason is that the engine isn't very smart. The caulk brush tells the engine not to render anything.... ie, it ignores that face. In a complex scene, there may be 30,000 polygons in the view area of a player. However, probably 20,000 of these would never be seen by a player. Thus, by properly using caulk, you can improve the framerate (and general performance) of your level by 66% or more.

This isn't too big a deal unless you have large, complex areas. Then it becomes extremely important.

Anyway, sorry if any of that was over your head, but it's a good idea to get used to caulking everything. What I typically do is draw the brushes out, then texture the whole thing with caulk. Then just texture the visible sides with your texture. It makes optimizing your map alot easier in the end.

Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]