It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Against the Storm 
Minor Diety

Post Against the Storm
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p ... -the-storm

Also on steam, but no demo on steam yet. Demo is available on epic.

I'm not sure about this one. I randomly saw it the other day and it does sound intriguing. A rogue-like, something I don't often bother with, but after loving Hades so much I thought this one sounded like it had potential. Instead of the classic "you have a character, you fight, you die, you start again from the beginning" it's a city that you control. Think Age of Empires but you have to keep restarting. The world is in a constant cycle of different rain storms so they can affect how things happen.

I did try the demo for a couple of hours the other day. I have mixed feelings. On the one hand it seemed a fairly solid city builder. Make sure you have enough houses/food/resources for your people, get more people, make more stuff, build more intricate buildings and workshops etc. But some of the unique bits felt lacking. The first 'city' was over with in half an hour but I think I won? I didn't get any "everyone is dead" type of messages so it seems it has regular scenarios but just perhaps if you fail them it's when you restart? Not sure at all. The whole place is a huge forest too and you have to find glades which have events in them. You find those with your woodcutters by cutting down the trees to make a path. The events just seem to be extra resource nodes and a choice to send resources back to your ruling city or not. There are also 'dangerous glades' but when I found them they weren't dangerous at all. The one I found just had some dead people in it and then a couple of survivors that I could recruit.

I got a good way through the second city and then stopped for the night and haven't really felt much desire to go back to it since. I am curious enough that I probably will but I'm not sure if it's just lacking a little at the start or if they haven't put all the features into the demo to give a good overview. It's not due out until next year so it could go through a lot of improvements still. One to keep an eye on maybe.

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:45 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Post Re: Against the Storm
Hmm, interesting. I do like roguelikes and roguelites, so I'll see how this goes. Last roguelike I played was Everspace, which was actually phenomenal (if you like flight sims). So thanks for sharing, I'll keep an eye on it.

Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]