It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 5:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
Pevil (trying to) survive Ark 
Felix Rex

Post Re: Pevil (trying to) survive Ark
Oh yea, that is a really pretty map. And I love the skunk otter! Man, you are so much more dedicated to getting dinos than I am. I really need to stop building my base for a bit and find me an argy. I'd love to get a mastodon to speed up thatch and wood harvesting and to act as a pack animal, but I don't think there's any cold biomes nearby.

What are your stats? I think I took my fortitude up to 35. I'll try to remember to screenshot my stats just so we can compare. I know I haven't bothered to put any points in crafting. Once I get closer to the endgame I might do a mind wipe tonic and respec. Anyway, besides getting an argy and anky, once I get my base at least enclosed I'll probably get power running. Fridges are pretty damned useful, as are air conditioners for breeding.

Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol whereas I need to be more focused on base building! This is why we need to get on a server together. I've been reading up on the map, apparently it's about the size of 3 of the others put together so it should keep me quiet for a while. There are crystal wyverns too but they're on the other side to me.

I'll grab a screenshot of my stats later. I'll probably do something like I did before, with 200 health, 200 stamina, 120 speed, 200 food/water so I'm a little more survivable in general then the rest into fortitude, some in weight perhaps. Already got the health, stamina and speed and currently bumping up my food and water, plus 3 points in fortitude to start minimising the weather effects. Previously I think I did all the above but not much in fortitude and quite a bit in weight but once you have dinos your personal weight doesn't matter so much. I think I'd dropped a couple into crafting too then realised it's a bit pointless unless you're making arrows in the heat of battle. I'd put about 15 into fortitude before I think, due to not finding otters, but only put 3 in it so far. I'll definitely keep pumping it up though in case I don't take an otter somewhere with me for whatever reason. I like using the otters to incubate too as there's no electric requirements (though they do need stocking up with fish, but the pool next to me is filled so I can just grab an otter, tell it to kill then move the fish meat between otters).

I did forget to say that last night I spotted a 130 anky who's very pretty so getting that today and also got scared shitless when I saw my first karkinos! Been reading up on them and they sound like fun so will have to attempt a tame at some point but they sound kind of awkward to get. One was a 145 though so it would be a great tame. I think I do need to concentrate on base building a bit more today. I intended to last night as Niall was tired from his first day back at work in 18 months so we just did 'lazy' gaming and had some random videos on in the background but I ended up doing all that flying about and breeding instead.

Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:30 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

I haven't updated my server, so it shows offline/unavailable.

Unfortunately reading your stories is more interesting than playing the actual game. But if you want, I can get the server up-to-date and running again.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:09 am
Minor Diety

Aw that's a shame Peltz. I'd happily jump on if you put the server up but only if it's not going to be an inconvenience to you running it, I'm also quite happy sitting in singleplayer.

Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:53 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Yea, don't worry about it. I really want to play local / single player anyway so I can drop and pick up the game when I want to, without having to start over every time. Sorry you didn't care for it Peltz... I think it's surprisingly good (though it does have some frustrating aspects).

Regarding stats, I find food and water to be pretty useless to put point into. Once you can make canteens, running out of water doesn't really happen any more. Similarly, you can throw half a stack of cooked meat in your inventory and be good for days. But to each their own... there's always a mind wipe tonic later in game so you can respec. Regarding weight, don't underestimate its use! By the end game I pretty much just wore Flak armor all the time, plus I carried a sword, a long neck rifle, a cross bow, and an assault rifle, plus all the ammo. That gets really heavy. So just be careful not to put yourself in a position where you can't carry the gear you need. Shiny once respecced with a mind wipe tonic and failed to consider the weight. She ended up having to respec a second time because her gear was so heavy she couldn't move. Regarding the crafting skill, when you're building stuff off blueprints it can affect the quality of what comes out of it. There's a chance something you build is better than the blueprint. That chance and just how much of an improvement is contingent on the crafting skill. So, it's more useful than just speed to build stuff. This also applies to making your own cooking recipes, I believe, so don't underestimate its importance.

Bleh, anyway, sorry... feel free to do what you want. As mentioned, there's always the mind wipe tonic. It takes a decent amount of materials to make, but once you get powerful enough, getting those mats isn't too hard. And now I think I'm going to play some more. Unfortunately last night I was out murdering stuff with my pack of 6 raptors, but they (and I) got murdered by a carnotaur and an alpha raptor. I went back and took my revenge using my two tickle chickens, but now I need to go tame some more raptors. Having a pack of really fast dinos like that is really useful.

Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:40 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I like having double the base food/water just so I don't have to remember to check quite so often. I was tempted not to do it this time but after being used to 200 in each on the old save it felt like every 5 mins I was noticing I was under half of each. Of course it gets easier as you get dinos to ride too so you're not using it up so much as well. I am considering going with weight though again soon as it's annoying to unload my wood/stone collecting dinos one stack at a time :roll: Plus I did just unlock flak armour so it's probably a good idea. That's good to know about the crafting though. Might have to look into it, see if anyone's researched into how much each point increases that chance. This is the joy and despair of this game, all the stats can be useful for different things and it mostly depends on your preferred playstyle. Movement speed may be a waste for some but I want to be able to run away if needed and always prefer being quick in games. But again arguably it's a waste now as I'll mostly be on dinos. Good for corpse running I guess :lol:

That sucks about your raptors :( I didn't use mine properly on the old file, though I intended to give them a try. I liked running round on a single one for the sheer speed and knowing they get the pack bonus figured they'd be really good fun. Nothing is going to be able to run away from them, that's for sure. I'll send you raptor taming vibes. Hopefully you'll find some even better ones. I've seen people suggest breeding your good dinos but not hatching the eggs, just keep them in a fridge so you can hatch them if bad things happen. I should probably do that instead of breeding like a madman then wondering why I need a thousand troughs.

Speaking of breeding... I may have done some today. Not that much, I finished raising a horse that had been born last night then finished the night breeding my otters; one pair to get a high level one (which gave me a new best female) and the other pair just to see what happened with the colours. Both pups ended up the spitting image of their mothers.

I did also spend some time base building, mainly redoing the fence around my base and starting up a greenhouse. I need to make more cementing paste to get that done though. Crystal Isles has plant species y on it (not sure if it has x or not) so I'll grow those as well as my rockarrots and narcoberries. And eventually the other crops too for kibble purposes. I only have pteranadons to drop eggs at the moment though. I also got a preserving bin up and running as I had a small amount of cooked prime meat so that's now jerky.

I had a bit of a fly around too. I dropped south a little where there's a big mushroom swamp then came back up and had another look around the floating islands where I live. There are loads of nooks and crannies to explore there. I managed to snag a couple of drops so got some green ghillie boots, a full set of hide armour (was still wearing cloth), a kangaroo saddle blueprint and a green stego saddle. On one island there was a 90ish sarco attacking parasaurs so I decided to kill it with my pteranadon. Forgetting it was set to attack my target, imagine my surprise when it popped up with "Your otter killed a sarcosuchus!" Clever little otter.

Taming-wise I started the day by going to get the 130 anky that was nearby. I named him Stuart after one of the minions in Despicable Me because he has a yellow underside. I hadn't realised until yesterday there's a ton of metal right by my base so took him over there and got 1200 in one trip. Good boy. I then decided to tame a kentrosaurus because a) they're on the achievement list, b) they're supposed to be great for base defense and c) there was a 130 one very near my base. My final tame was based on the find of a stego saddle. I knew I'd seen some stegos relatively nearby so I flew off to see if they were worth taming. One was 150. Perfect tame, he came out at 224. Slow but wow he's strong.

I ended the night on level 59 I think. Just 3 more levels and I can ride my argy. Then I'll be off exploring the map a lot more.

I apologise if I'm destroying your server space with all my pics :P

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Well here's hoping that back4blood is decent enough. I can run a server for that if it supports dedicated servers.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:46 pm
Felix Rex

Thanks for the updates! There are jug bugs on Scorched Earth, so I'm familiar with them. It's pretty important there since water is such a big deal on that map. That map does look really pretty... it'll probably be on the short list for my next map to check out. Oh, and be careful of Wyverns. Those are also on Scorched Earth and they are freaking mean (and deadly, really deadly).

I went out raptor taming mostly and I'm back up to 5 (plus an extra, really low level one I tamed because it was there). So I'm nearly there. My highest level one tamed out at level 50, which is a big improvement over what I had previously. My goal is to get them all to 500 health, then to 200 weight, then to 300% damage... after that probably back to health. Most I'm working on the damage for at this point... they level pretty quick when you're roaming around murdering stuff. I still have one raptor saddle/slot left (the low level one doesn't get a saddle), so I'm keeping an eye open for the final raptor. Besides that I've been base building. There's a small mountain near me that had a lot of metal on it, so I've been mining that by hand and loading up my tickle chickens. I've levelled those guys enough they can carry 600-800lbs each, so a pretty good haul. I found some argies on a mountain north of me while flying around on a Pteranodon. I'm going to try to make my way up there by land and build a taming pen.

Don't worry about filling up my server with pics. It'll be fine. :twisted: I'm adding pics mostly of my base, since that's pretty much all I've been doing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:44 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

And now I've completed the initial base implementation. It's ugly, it's rectangular, but it's functional. I have 3 defensive plants on each corner except for the first, original corner (bottom left in the screenshot) which has 4. I've run water through all the walls to feed the plants. I recruited a Phiomia to simplify mass-creation of poop so I can keep my 2 composters fed. Have you played with Phiomias and, more important, force fed one a stack or three of stimberries? If you haven't, I highly recommend it. No spoilers. :mrgreen:

I'm currently building all the parts I need to make a stone argy trap... I'm really over-engineering it, but whatever. Once I've finished building all the necessary parts, I'll load them onto my two tickle chickens and head north to where I saw argies on a mountain. I may use the same trap to tame some other creatures while I'm up there, we'll see.

As for building, I need to expand the water network a bit and put some faucets near the other door. I also plan on moving all my crafting benches and putting up a large building, probably with a behemoth gate so I can fly argies and stuff into it without any difficulty. I also need to plant gardens (probably on the roof) and make a place for my flyers to live (also probably on the roof). Then power. All of this will come after I get an argy. I hope to mass collect a bunch of organic polymer with the argy so I can make refrigerators, vaults and air conditioners for my baby-raising area. I may tame several argies just so I can carry more stuff across the map. I still don't know where lots of penguins live except near the north west side, which is awfully far away.

Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:49 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Looking 'good' Satis (in a practical sense ;)) I don't know how some people build on things like Ark and Minecraft. I can get grand ideas in my head but they never work. Plus with Ark being so limited aesthetically (unless you use mods). Yet you still see some incredible builds out there. The main thing is you have the functional shell. You can always toy around if you can be bothered making it look pretty by adding on top of that basis. Glad to hear you have your raptors back too. I need to grab a decent land carnivore to explore on, it's so different to flying around everywhere. I am jealous of your tickle chickens though. I miss mine. I'll have to find some soon. You should download yourself to another map to get some high level ones. I don't know if all non-story ones are as good but Crystal Isles seems to only spawn certain levels. Mainly 15, 25, 55, 90, 95, 120, 125, 130, 135, 145 and 150. Rarely seen anything other than that. I think some of the leeds I spotted were level 1.

Lol at the phiomia thing, I had tamed one on The Island but never fed it stimberries. I have heard tales though! I have so many tames lying around I don't necessarily need one for the output but, well, maybe just for the fun of it. I reckon they could be surprisingly decent battle mounts too damage wise from the stats mine had. Obviously not going to replace a rex or something but an interesting one maybe.

If you want a quick and easy argy trap there's a great one, captain fatdog has a video on Youtube. It's cheap to make, just 1 stone foundation, 2 stone railings, 3 stone double doorways, 1 stone hatchway and 1 reinforced double door. Your ptera can fly straight through (or you can just run through) and then you open the door and the argy gets stuck. But if you want a multipurpose one that is probably no good for anything else.

Crystal Isles seems to have most, if not all, of the Scorched Earth stuff. I'll get on to that in a min with my tales from the last two days. I was too sleepy last night to do a post on what I'd done.

Yesterday my main goal was to reach level 62 so I could make an argy saddle. I did it by starting to craft up a greenhouse as currently I only have 2 plots right by my house with some rockarrots in, nothing fancy. That combined with some general running around and smacking trees soon got me the 3 levels I needed and as soon as I was 62 I got the saddle made and jumped on my argy to explore the map. But first I grabbed the tek parasaur who'd jumped off the edge and brought her home.

People aren't joking when they say the map is huge. I spent at least 2 hours flying round, some of it sight seeing but I didn't really waste that much time and only went halfway round the perimeter before cutting across the middle to head home as it was after 11 and I had work today. Every biome has been hugely increased. The snowy area consists of a cluster of isles called the Eldritch Isles where there's a permanent 'fog' that's almost pitch black, combined with weird crystals and bubbles that electrocute you if you get close. I steered clear of that area. There's also a vast snowy tundra and 3 or 4 mountains. Then I crossed over into the redwood area which takes up the entire north west corner. Canyons, waterfalls, huge fallen tree bridges, you name it. I steered right around the edge of that in case of high level thylas. On the very western edge is a massive grassy plain with a swampy river running through the middle and some more canyons. I also hit some tropical islands where I saw tropical crystal wyverns. Yes, we have wyverns but a different breed. Crystal wyverns that come in 3 variants. I think they're slightly weaker than normal wyverns but are passive (unless you find the 'heir' variant) and are apparently an easier tame. This was the time I cut back across the middle and skirted over the desert that lays in the south and some giant anthills before heading back over the volcano where I'd first spawned and back into my floating islands.

I grabbed any drops I could on the way and got some decent items. Quite a few saddles and saddle blueprints, mostly for tames I don't have yet but I did get an ascendant pteranadon saddle. I also found a supply drop that was clearly someone hiding their fetish; it contained 2 different whip blueprints and a mastercraft whip! I got a few ghilli armour blueprints and I think a chitin helmet that bumped me from the 20 cloth I was wearing to about 89 armour. I don't think there are any caves on Crystal Isles either, at least not in the same way that there are on The Island. As such, I randomly landed to get some stamina back on a tall spire of rock near the desert and spotted an artifact just lying there! So I now have my first artifact, the artifact of the hunter. As I came back over the volcano area I'm now amazed I survived as long as I did there. Quite aside from the heat coming from the lava, I saw a titanosaur, ember crystal wyverns (didn't know then that they were passive so flew off quickly) and the usual suspects like raptors and carnos. Back to base and finished for the night.

Today was a mixed day but very good. I found a new higher level female horse and a much higher level male horse and bred them. I raised the foal, bred my ankys, bred my pteras (got one the same as the female who is the highest I can get with my current tamed ones, over 200 and it 100% imprinted so that got the ascendant saddle). I also managed to rescue the 3 lystrosaurus' I'd tamed back when I first started this map and brought them up to the base to help everything level up faster. I continued and almost finished my greenhouse build. I have 2 rockarrot, 2 longrass and 2 savoroot plots in there. I also built a shelter on the side of the base for my horses. Then I hit level 65 and my main quest for the day was realised.

Off to the volcano. You need to be 65 to tame crystal wyverns. I'd seen a level 20 flying around yesterday so decided that would be a nice easy way to try them out. Crystal wyverns eat either crystal (just the normal stuff) or prime crystal (obtained by knocking out a wyvern, can be the same one you tame). You then just passive feed it the crystal. You can of course just run around and feed them whenever they land, or you can trap them if you're quick with gates. Or you can do what I did. Ran up its wing to between the shoulders and just stand there. You can't fall off then and can keep feeding it. I spotted one, assumed it was the level 20, figured I'd better scope it. Nope, 130! Oh well, you only live once, right? Dododex'ed it. 22 normal crystal needed, ~15 mins. That's not too bad. Only lost 1 level vs taming with prime crystal. I hadn't brought any tranqs with me anyway but I also only had 11 crystal. Luckily I'd brought my pickaxe so I got about 30 to make sure then went for it. Oh my god, riding a wyvern like that is terrifying! I got it just right but I had parachutes just in case and my ptera on follow. Like a diplo it takes ages between the first and second feeds then it goes quite quickly. But it goes up and down and round and round. At times it was flying almost vertically. By rights I should've slid off but somehow you don't. It was like a rollercoaster. It didn't help it was dusk as I started this so it went to full nighttime and we were swooping round over lava and glowing red trees looming out of the darkness. Not for the faint hearted!

It was successful though so I flew him back to base, checked out his attacks then decided to see if there was a female. Nope. No females around, just 2 more males. One was ok, a level 90 with kind of black main body and a dull red underbody and one was the level 20 I'd seen before. I did tame him because he's beautiful. Back to base with him and went out again to fly around the whole volcano. No female anywhere. I did see a sodding basilisk though! Thankfully it attacked a wild ptera so I got the hell outta dodge.

When I got back to base I'd apparently left my horses breeding without realising so there was a little foal waiting. Quickly imprinted in case it's any good and will check her out tomorrow. I guess I also need to build some sort of wyvern house! Now it's time for many pictures.

Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

oh wow, you tamed a crystal wyvern. I didn't realize they were passive, but still, that's pretty awesome. If they're anything like the scorched earth variety, they are super powerful (and probably over-powered, really). Still, scorched earth I don't think you can tame. You have to steal and egg and then you're supposed to give it wyvern milk to raise it, which can only be obtained by knocking out a female wyvern and milking it. :roll: Thankfully it's actually possible to just feed it through baby-phase so long as you pay attention. Anyway, by the time we got wyverns on scorched earth I'd mostly gotten bored and stopped playing, so not much experience.

The whips are great! You may already know this, but they give you the ability to force dinos to move even if they're overloaded to the point they can't normally move. Also, if you have a bunch of stuff laying on the group (like holding down O to dump all the stone out of an anky), you can whip it and pull it all into your own inventory with no weight limitation... we used this to dump stone, metal and ingots out of pack animals, whip it to grab it, then shove it into storage containers or crafting tables or whatever. When it comes to raw metal, you'd be lucky to be able to hold 2 full stacks, so it would take forever to transfer. The whips makes it takes a few seconds. :roll: If it's not obvious, I really like whips. Also keep an eye out for wing suits. Those things are also awesome.

Crystal isles sounds pretty badass. I think I want to stick on the Island until I'm basically dominating it, just for personal achievement purposes. But we'll see, I may start getting bored and change my mind. :mrgreen: I didn't play yesterday, so no updates. Still collecting mats so I can head north and try to trap an argy.

Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:01 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Crystals are so easy to tame I may now also own 11 tropical ones. :oops: They're so pretty! And they kept respawning almost straight away. The first one I tamed was a 150, lost 2 levels as I only used normal crystal instead of primal but I can live with that. Most of them are higher levels but I have a couple of low level ones that were tamed purely for the colour (most were tamed purely for the colours, I just got lucky with them spawning high levels too).

I've been reading up on normal wyverns and they do sound much more of a pain to get and raise. The babies of crystal wyverns eat primal crystal but that can be obtained from either gender by knocking them out. Or by killing an alpha I think. I think some people have said on official it's possible to leave it without food the first day too so on my boosted rates I might not have to feed them at all. Going to test it out later. The crystals are weaker than normal wyverns but that's offset I guess by the fact they're easier to tame and they have their different breath types as well.

I didn't know that about the whips at all but I tried it out last night. Normally I park the anky or whatever right by my door then unload it 1 or 2 stacks at a time and run in the 2 foundations to my smithy. Not exactly a huge hardship but mildly annoying. But using the whip... well it took a little getting used to but it is much faster. I did end up with random poo and berries in my inventory too though. I can make a glider attachment for my chest already so I'm trying to gather up blue gems for that. I have 10 from a supply drop but need 25. I needed one last night, but I'll get to that in a minute.

I was the same as you really, I'd have happily stayed on the island until it was conquered, then moved on. I plan to do that with crystal isles. I'm thinking I'll 'finish' a map then transfer my character plus the absolutely essential dinos over to a new map but not take huge numbers with me so it's not quite starting from scratch but isn't going in fully loaded just to kill bosses either. Most likely with a break between each map so it feels like coming back to a fresh game rather than just continuing on but without the added frustration of dying every time a gnat looks at you funny.

Anyway other than taming a million wyverns last night I decided I needed to house them, so I started to build out from my base. Inspired by you, the land round the base and videos I started using pillars out into the water. I have a vague idea of what I want to do. It's not going to look perfect; I already have some pillars that stick up through the ceilings slightly but whatever. As long as it functions. That will be my project for a while really.

After a couple of hours of that I needed a break so I went looking for a female ember wyvern. Nothing in sight. Since I was already out flying I had a quick scan of the area blood wyverns are meant to be. Nothing. Went down into the desert for the first time and found where the crystal wyvern heirs (i.e. aggressive ones and eggs) are. Got chased halfway across the map by one. Thankfully an ember one so its breath couldn't damage my own ember wyvern. Then I ended up back at the tropicals again, where I tamed my final 3 or 4 of the night. Typically as I said "this is the last one", a new colour spawned in so I had to get that one. I hadn't bothered to bring parachutes as none of them have knocked me off so far. The tropical ones just spawn over a desert island, so there are a few trees but that's that. Until this one decided to just fly in a straight line for ages. Conveniently towards my base. Not so conveniently right towards and barely under a rock arch. I get scraped off its back and fall to my death on the rocks below, my other wyverns flapping around my corpse and my otter sitting there looking confused.

Respawn, jump on another wyvern, go get my stuff. Finish taming the final wyvern which only needed 3 more feeds and start heading back home. See a yellow drop with a ring around it. Land. Damn, it's in a rock, oh well. Turn round to jump on my wyvern and instead take a dire wolf to the face. Respawn timer hasn't finished yet so have to respawn somewhere random. It's late so I cheat fly to my body. Pick it up, same sodding wolf jumps me. I managed to whistle everything on it as I die though. Respawn randomly again, cheat fly there again... this time a sodding raptor gets me. Getting annoyed now. Bed is now available so final respawn, jump on another wyvern (it's handy having them all now!) and go back to finish off the raptor, grab my three corpses and bugger off home to finish for the night.

Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Man, you might have a creature-taming addiction. Wyverns especially. That seems like a lot. Do you have to deal much with feeding? I know you tweaked some of the settings, but I imagine that many dinos still eat a ton. I like your greenhouse. Is the fence purely decorative or also defensive? Also I'm curious how your wyvern house will turn out. Unfortunately building with pillars it's typical to end up with one sticking up through the roof, so you get a nice nipple. It's purely aesthetic, but annoying. I only recently remembered that you can build the pillar first, then plop the roof on top to avoid that effect. You can also hit e to toggle snap points (I think it's e). But too late for me... I'm not rebuilding my whole base because of a few nipples.

So last night I finished gathering the mats and crafting the items I needed for my argy trap. I grabbed my two tickle chickens, five raptors and headed north to the mountain I spotted argies on. No issues getting there, got up on the mountain, and built my (apparently way too complicated) argy trap. I ran around a bit trying to find the highest possible argy, but most were really low level, so I just culled the local population as much as possible. A freaking giganotosaurus showed up, but I just stayed away. It's only level 9, but with those things, it doesn't matter. Maybe some day I'll capture it, but I'm definitely not to that point yet.

So after searching for a good argy and failing to find one for awhile, night fell and I got cold. I didn't remember how big a problem this was until I was at half health. I slapped together a fire in the open, but that didn't work, so I jumped on a dino and ran for the forest... too late. I died, respawned at base, and quickly crafted a bunch of wooden house parts so I could build a hut. Grabbed some spare gear, grabbed my two remaining decent raptors (using one as a mule and one to carry me) and headed back to the mountain. I got there as the sun came up, so I didn't have to worry about the cold. Grabbed my gear and built myself a little wooden house. I may improve it at a later date, but at least now I have a small refuge in case I need it.

Eventually I found a level 16 argy, and by that point I'd gotten really tired of looking, so I tried to coax it back to my trap. It wasn't really playing along, though, and I ended up just knocking it out on the side of the mountain. Tamed it out with no issues, then headed back to my little temp base and my small army of dinos. When I got there, somehow a level 22 and level 24 argy had spawned and immediately attacked. That's my luck. The level 24 would've been a nice upgrade. But oh well. I crafted an argy saddle and then took all my dinos back home to my base. I skirted around an alpha raptor that showed up around the path I took, but no real incidents. I plan on levelling up the argy a bit so I can bump up his health and weight. After that I think it's time to make a trip to penguin island. I really want to start making vaults so I can get rid of all the crappy wooden cabinets.

Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:53 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

It's more of a taming and genetics addiction. I'm constantly looking for games with good breeding mechanics as I just love that unpredictability that you could get something amazing or rubbish. One of the best games ever for it was Petz back in 1999. Weird 2D dogs and cats but they were really quite advanced! You'd get random colour mutations but mostly they'd pass genes down and it would mix and match ears, tails, leg length, body shape etc from the parents. There were people out there who'd breed up entire new breeds with all the dedication of a kennel club breeder. Insane. I tend to do a lot of breeding in things like Pokemon or taming in things like Ultima Online to find the best stats or the unusual colours.

hehe nothing wrong with a complicated argy trap. At least yours can be used for other stuff whereas mine is very one creature only. A giga! I haven't even seen one yet but I know enough that even a level 1 is probably something to fly away from whilst screaming. Should've aggroed it when you got cold, surely running away from it would warm you up ;)

That's just typical you'd get higher level argys after you've tamed one. Oh well. I'm loving the name of course. There are always loads of argys up by that mountain anyway and now you have one you can go over to carnivore island if you really want to farm for them. I found that the best place as it's a smaller area to spawn them in, although you do often have to try and rescue them from rexs and sabers. I didn't bother with vaults yet. How much do they hold? I didn't know if they were worth it if not on a PvP server.

The wall round the greenhouse is part decorative, part protection. I read any dino can destroy glass (unsurprisingly) so decided I should try to keep things away from it somewhat. Not that anything spawns or wanders near me anymore it seems.

I tested crystal wyvern breeding today. Just one pair. The baby hatched as a level 180 with 1600 food already. It lost maybe 200 food by the time it was fully grown so on my boosted settings it's very easy to just ignore it. I cuddled it once but then it wanted primal crystal to imprint so if I was breeding seriously I'd still have to go get some, but just for colours or a breeding pair with the best stats it's very hands off. Once adult they just eat meat.

Feeding them all really isn't so bad. I only have one trough at the moment which is half berries, half meat. I do have spoil time up though. I'll grab a pic of the settings I use at some point. I found a link with recommended settings and used a mix of some from the original post, some adjustments from another user in the same thread and ignored some they said (like increasing food drain so they can tame faster but also have to feed more often? No thanks). I will be putting in a second trough once I do my wyvern home though which will just be meat. I have to feed the otters individually as I found out why all the fish was disappearing. Anything within range of a trough will, once tamed, eat its least preferred food first. So you can store prime meat and not have it all disappear. This means though that all carnivores will utterly trash your fish supply and leave your fish eaters hungry whilst they continue chowing down on the other meats.

Other than that most of today has been building. It's going to take a while. I tamed a 145 doedi since I'm going to need a lot of stone. I can't get a battle chicken up to my base even if I tamed one; I've only seen one so far anyway on this map but the crystal wyverns can't carry quite the same number of dinos as regular wyverns so theri's are off limits for them. I could tame a quetzal I guess but not seen one for ages and it sounds like effort. My stego is quite good at gathering wood, he's just slow.

I did go for a random fly around at the end for a break and ended up bringing back a thorny dragon. I'd spotted them the other day and think it looks cool. Like a pangolin but with attitude. I can't make him a saddle yet though as I need clay which apparently needs sand and cactus sap. I also got chased about by crystal wyvern heirs (the aggressive ones that have eggs) but I did manage to get into their base and spotted/stole another artifact.

Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Nice pics. Looks like your build is coming along well. The crystal egg is also really cool. Personally I'm not so interested in the breeding aspects. It's really time consuming with the feeding and imprinting, though a fully imprinted, high level dino is amazingly powerful. I'll do it, it's just not my thing. I guess if you're breeding for stats or colors you don't have to worry about imprinting, just keeping it fed until it can eat from the trough. Ah well, still not my thing. :)

I did attempt to go get some organic polymer from penguin island, but my gear is not up to the cold. I killed a couple dire bears for fur and have started making a fur armor set so I can try again. I've also started building the parts I need to begin my next base addition. I'm not entirely sure how I want to do that yet, so I'm not hurrying. I did notice that my defensive plants aren't acting quite right...I air-dropped a parasaur near my wall and they just ignored it. Not sure what that's about. Still, no rexes or alpha raptors beating down my walls, so I guess it's ok. Nothing too exciting today except flying around on Minsc.

Regarding vaults, they are absolutely worth it. They hold 350 items, compared to 45 for the large storage box. I can downsize my row of storage boxes to just a single vault and still have extra space left (though I wouldn't, I'd make several vaults). I always create folders inside them to organize stuff, if they're not dedicated to a single resource. Stone, wood, metal ingots and hide tend to get their own vaults since they get used so much. Then another vault for my gear, the lighter mats (like fiber and thatch), and blueprints.

I meant to ask, you are aware that dinos have multiple 'attacks'... I'm sure you're aware of left and right click, but some dinos also do something when you hit c (duck). For tickle chickens they harvest berries. It's not all of them, just a few, but make sure you try it out in case you didn't know. The doedi's right click roll is awesome. :mrgreen:

Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next