It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
Pevil (trying to) survive Ark 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Pevil (trying to) survive Ark
Well that's why I've boosted things. I'm not sitting around for 4 days whilst something grows up and setting alarms to feed it every 3 hours like a real baby. I think everything I've bred so far has grown up within the hour and I've got it so imprinting happens every 15ish minutes. If I was on official though I'm sure I'd be one of those crazy people with the 1000 generation lines of dinos to share with everyone else, just call me crazy :P

Wow, ok, 350 items :O Incredible. That definitely sounds like a plan. Right now I'm quite unorganised with random boxes and large storages around the place. On the old file I had about 8 large storage boxes. One for poo that was waiting to be turned into fertiliser. One for saddles. One for taming gear. One for weapons. One for tools. One for hide/cloth armour. One for other armour. One for hunting trophies/random things. One for building things that I'd picked up, like walls, ceilings etc. I kept resources in the smithy, fabricator or mortar and pestle and blueprints in a bookcase.

Is there a setting for the plants somewhere maybe? I know I've seen something about spike walls to tick to damage dinos so I wonder if plants are 'off' in singleplayer by default?

Yes, I knew about the alternate alternate attacks. I only recently discovered it on the argy though so that was fun when I rescued my lystros, one hanging from its beak, the other from its claws :) The doedi roll is hilarious, you'd clearly die if your doedi did that but it's fun! I'd love it if you could gain speed doing it downhill. You could hold competitions like ski jumping with them.

The cold areas are a nuisance, that's why I love my otters. Before I got any I thought I'd either have to risk dying in the cold area to get the stuff to make fur so I could go there and not die, or save up my own hair if I made scissors for a very, very long time! Just imagine walking round in fur armour made from your own hair...

Just to add to my last post, I read up on the thorny dragons and they're good wood gatherers so I might not have to rely on the slow stego anymore :)

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:38 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I've had a busy few days but not in an exciting sort of way. I've included screenshots below of my settings.

I had a couple of days off work so I've made myself get to work on the wyvern home. Floor 1 is completed. I do however want to add more floors (at least 1 more, maybe 2 or 3) as there isn't space for all my current wyverns let alone if I breed them. I also may have acquired more. I found a male and female blood crystal wyvern so I now have all 3 types of crystal wyvern. Still no female ember one though, it just will not spawn. The third male was still flying around and I saw him for the first time in daylight. He's a rather good looking black and orange/yellow so I ended up grabbing him too. Level 90 so not bad. I wasn't going to, and certainly wouldn't on normal settings, but as we can pick up buildings now I ended up removing the nipples (damn you for calling them that, it's all I think now haha) from the floor. It was rather annoying but at least once the main base is down it's a bit quicker. I messed up the ramps going to it a couple of times though.

I actually did have a culling session. I got rid of some of the horses I didn't need and 1 of the tropical crystal wyverns (he had rubbish stats and no colours on him that the others didn't have). One of the horses fought back when I killed it though so the entire base, including about 13 wyverns suddenly piled on it! That was a sight to see. Not much fun getting them back into their places though (this was before the wyverns were out of the way so they were just dotted around the perimeter).

I've tamed up 3 sabertooths. I spotted a 130 male roaming around so grabbed him up, then spotted a greenish one like my old one. Only low level but I might as well try to breed battlecat again. Then I spotted a 130 female.

I also went out argy taming. I still only had my 90ish male so thought I'd go looking for a female. I found a 145 one over in the icy area and set up my trap on top of a mountain. Conveniently next to an artifact! I now have 3 artifacts. Well technically I have 8 as it kept respawning so I took 5 copies of this one and put them in my otter. As I was flying the female back home I spotted a 150 male so I ended up taming that too. I then bred them both and got twin boys who came out at level 229! I named them Danny and Arnie. Arnie will be my killer, Danny will be my weight argy. Both 100% imprinted.

Finally at one point I randomly went and tamed a breeding pair of jerboas. I just tamed a female to start with as she was right there when I landed whilst scouting for a female ember wyvern. I didn't intend to get a male but again, he was right there as I landed whilst doing a supply drop run earlier. Decided to breed them just for the hell of it and got triplets! All females. Not sure if they're cute or terrifying when they're babies.

My next aims are to extend the wyvern home, make a ground base somewhere and get a mantis. The game keeps throwing mantis saddles at me, or blueprints for them so it clearly wants me to have one. I have a mastercraft one so why not?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

lol, nice butt shot. Thanks for the screenshots of your settings... I'll probably modify my settings to match yours before I start breeding. Jerboas are pretty cute. On scorched earth they also start making noises if some weather is coming in... different noises for lightning storms vs dust storms, etc. Since those events are actually pretty dangerous, it's nice to get a little bit of warning. Besides that, they're cute. I'm surprised you culled by actually murdering the animal. I knew people that would just take their unwanted dinos into the middle of nowhere and leave them, sometimes on passive, sometimes on aggressive. That actually doesn't work very well, so a good murdering is more effective. :rifle:

I built my fur armor using fur I collector off of dire bears primarily... these are in the redwood forest, so it is possible to get them without flirting with a frozen death. However, primitive gear is still not up to the task. I haven't given up on this yet, but my options are starting to dwindle. I can try to find an otter, but I have a really difficult time with that. I can also keep raiding drops in hopes of getting higher quality gear. Lastly, I can make some fria curry and see if that'll do the trick. For the fria curry I need a garden, and for a garden I really need to add on to my base, so that's what I did. I added on a room that'll be my baby-rearing room, added some gardens on top, and start to build a greenhouse around them. I also power and two fridges using organic polymer I got from some random hesperornises I ran into. It wasn't enough organic polymer for a vault, but it was enough for the two fridges, so I went for it. I also can get obsidian, so I'm going to turn that into (non-organic) polymer. Worst case scenario I'll just not go into the cold zone yet.

Something I learned is that tickle chickens cannot get crop seeds. I harvested my way across the island without a single crop seed. I'd seen people recommending trikes for harvesting, so I worked my way to my old base where my trike and other dinos are still hanging out and tried it instead. Yup... immediately got seeds. Back at my new base I ended up taming a new trike... long story involving not wanting to walk my old trike across the map and seed expiration timers.

I did end up flying all over the island with Minsc, and since I knew where a bunch of explorer notes were on the west coast, I just grabbed them while I was in the area. I probably put 40+ levels on Minsc doing that. It's kinda crazy. He's now somewhere in the level 70 range. I got him to 1000 weight, 1000 stamina, and am back to putting points into health. He's not meant for killing, so I haven't put anything into his melee.

So... plans are to gather obsidian and crystal to make polymer and work on the greenhouse. Keep an eye open for otters. Once the crops have grown, make fria curry. Once the greenhouse is built and the crops are done, make a second set of crop plots. Build a trap near the forest so I can trap and tame a thylacoleo. Look for another argy to tame.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

If you properly want to tweak your settings this is the post I used: https://www.reddit.com/r/ARK/comments/k ... urce=share although I ignored some of the original posters settings (such as food drain) and halfway down the thread there's someone else's suggestions for breeding/imprinting settings that I used instead.

I like your arty tickle chicken in the rain, great picture. You could probably sell it for loads as a metaphor for life. Your base is starting to look quite cool too, sort of like a miltary base. The survivor notes are insane. I didn't know where any were but I had a run on the island at one point where I found 3 or 4 in a row quite by accident and it really boosts you. I'm sure some of them gave my argy 10 or 11 levels instantly. I do miss those on crystal isles. I'm level 70 now but with not doing much the last few days other than building the wyvern base it's not going up very fast.

I had read that about the jerboas giving warnings but I don't think we get any extreme weather on crystal isles so they're just pure cuteness on there. I went for the culling option as I figured it saves lagging out the map. Plus I had unclaimed a few things and seen they just stand there so figured it was pointless doing anything else. I've since read about people putting them on wandering and/or agressive before unclaiming them and creating little nature reserves of old tames which does sound fun. But I'll probably just keep killing stuff. Especially if it drops prime meat ;) I may be very passive in real life but in games you just can't beat a good murdering!

That's crazy that your fur still isn't enough. I wish I could lend you some pelt. I went hunting woolly rhinos earlier and now have about 1000 pelt. Put 5 layers on, I'm sure that'll be enough! Otters are a pain to find on the island though. I found one randomly down near the green obelisk (if you follow the river south it splits off to the west to form an island at the coast, the otter was around there) and then the 3 that randomly spawned right by my base just as the river gets to the swamp. Everyone was saying they're always near waterfalls, I never once saw one near a waterfall. I think if you can survive long enough you can tame a pingu to keep you warm. That also comes with the added bonus of making it watch whilst you murder its family for polymer.

Nice on the fridges. I need to get on to that. I picked up a load of supply drops earlier and got 2 wind turbines plus a bp for them so I should be ok when I want some electric. My whole day has been grabbing supply drops whilst hunting rhinos. I was originally flying about just looking for spots to set up other bases. I figured I might have a small safe place in each biome and possibly have one larger, more permanent base on the ground (as nice as my flying island spot is, it's not much use with the ground dinos unless I want to cryopod them everywhere or fly them down). I've picked up 5 beds from drops so I was looking about for places to put them when I spotted a level 150 green mantis. As I said, the game has been throwing mantis saddles at me so I thought this is it, it's a sign, my favourite colour and max level! Hence the rhino killing. You can now tame them with their horns; apparently it used to only be death worm horns which don't exist on crystal isles. I needed 7 but decided to grab 10 just in case. Then I went to grab the mantis and bring her back to my taming pen by my base.

Now this pen is fine, I've tamed things there quite a bit. It's just far enough away that when I attack, none of my dinos aggro. However, mantis can only be picked up by wyverns, quetzs and crystal wyverns. They didn't look that big whenever I've flown over and thought for sure an argy could take them. Nope. I'm fine with an argy and dropping things into pens, with the crystal wyvern, not so much. It's really hard to aim! My pen was a 2x2 and I just couldn't get the mantis in it. I dropped it and it started to run towards my base and attacking the fence so I quickly grabbed it again. This time I took it to my first, very temporary thatch base and after about 10 attempts dropped it in. All fine, went out of render distance to lose aggro and came back. Fed it one horn through the wall. Now it all goes wrong.

It saw me through the open doorway and got angry. Not enough to start attacking but enough to remove the "Wait until it's hungry again" prompt. I flew out of render range again, came back and it started attacking the thatch walls. Fine. I grabbed it and took it back to the main pen which is stone. 5 or 6 attempts to drop it in, no good. 1 more attempt and it ran off to the base again. I flew over to grab it, got it but it scraped itself off on the wall and dropped into my base. Crap. Things start attacking it, quickly whistle passive. Try to swoop down and grab it, can't even see it. Grab all sorts of random things, drop them, grab more random things. All the time waiting for the "Mantis has killed your dino" message or vice versa. Nothing comes up. Eventually I whistled everything to follow as I couldn't see a thing and moved them out of the base. That's when I finally saw the sad little corpse of the mantis. One of my ptera's had got it, I found the chitin on it later. So I just gave up, sorted the dinos back into place, whistled them back on neutral and called it a night. I need a pen well away from base so if I miss it, it doesn't matter so much.

I think as well as the ongoing wyvern home, my next steps are the temporary bases, the ground base and to get some proper electricity going there so I can have fridges and industrial stuff going on, plus fabricator etc. I'm also trying to resist the lure of taming a griffin. Once I have a ground base I will go for some rexes/spinos/allos.

Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:02 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Oh man, bad luck on that Mantis. We tamed some of those in the burning sands map (whatever the hell it's called). They do a lot of damage, but they're really squishy, so we didn't end up using them too much. Still, it's fun to have weird pets. you can actually give them weapons! Spears and swords, I think... scary stuff. Anyway, good luck with your taming. A griffon I've never seen... that sounds pretty cool. I've also never managed to tame a spino. That sounds pretty fun as well.

Still no luck with killing myself some penguins, but I managed to make enough real polymer using obsidian and cementing paste that I built two vaults. I've since relocated all my mats and gear into the vaults and picked up the chests they were in previously. I also moved all my crafting stations and stuff against the wall except for the forge, which is pretty much running day and night smelting metal. I tamed a second argy (a beautiful red one) and an anky. My plan is to go metal, obsidian, and crystal farming with these guys. Eventually I should be able to build up the mats needed for an industrial smelter and cooker. I figure I'll place the smelters on the mountains that I loot for metal, so I can just carry back metal bars.

I finished my greenhouse and built the second set of gardens in it. It's rubbing my obsessive/compulsive needs the wrong way, as they're not quite even since they don't snap. I may end up ripping them up at some point, but who knows. Still no thylacoleo. I tried taming a sabertooth, but realized my taming pen was not up to the task. The columns don't keep it inside, so I ended up dropping some doorways (without doors). I then tried to tame the anky, but the whole I put in the ceiling didn't work very well. Ah well. I managed to kite it and tame it. I've since updated that particular capture pen to be more useful. Besides the anky and argy I got an archaeopteryx, which is essentially a parachute pet. They're pretty cute, though the fact they only eat chitin is kinda weird. Thankfully they're not very voracious, so keeping it fed shouldn't be hard.

I made some shocking tranq darts, which helped a lot on my taming of the anky and argy. Farming biotoxin from cnidaria isn't very difficult (crossbows work wonders), but swimming out to loot them can be a bit scary with megalodons and piranhas being a threat and all. Once I get a squirrel that should be easier. So, to do is to get an industrial smelter, industrial cooker, and actually craft the fria curry to see if I can get at those penguins. Also, since I have power, I need to forge a cryofridge and cryoballs. That'll greatly simplify moving around dinos for harvesting purposes.

Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I really love your argy! Very handsome. Bit jealous now haha, I miss my old parrot argies. I could technically make them again with cheats as I have all the old info in my smart breeding programme but it wouldn't feel right.

I got my mantis. I swear the game is toying with me though. After throwing all the saddles at me, then making me kill my 150, I found a 140 male near where she had been. Set up the trap, started trying to drop him him, kept failing. It was on top of a big stone pillar. Dropped him one time and he just fell through the pillar and disappeared! So I had to settle for a 130. Not exactly bad but annoying when I could've had a max level.

I'll try for a griffin tomorrow I think. You can't breed them on PC which sucks. You can on mobile. No doubt there's a mod somewhere for breeding them if I really wanted to. There's a whole trench of them in crystal isles so I can certainly farm for a good one easily enough.

Congrats on the vaults. I think once I have my griffin I'll concentrate on getting a land base sorted properly. I did craft a fabricator today and also a fridge but haven't set up the electric yet as that'll be at the new base. I know what you mean about the greenhouse plots, it irritates me too that they don't snap to each other. Which crops are you growing as you said 4? I only have 3 going, savoroot, rockarrot and longrass. Do you have mejo or narcoberries as well? I should get narcoberries going at least, I had some of them growing on the old file. Saves running round with the horse then throwing all the other berries out.

The archaeopteryx is very cute! I've read about them being used as parachutes but hadn't really seen one up close. That is odd they eat chitin. I just murdered a bunch of scorpions that were by the mantis' so could probably feed an army of them right now. You're well ahead of me now with shocking darts. I did manage to loot some biotoxin on the old file but it was just from some jellies that killed me so I got revenge. I used a raft to get to them (they were near the shore anyway) and set my pelagornis on them then looted them quickly. Never used it for anything though.

I got a thyla today as well. There were 3 wandering the desert near the mantis spawns. A 50, a 90 and a 95 so just spent the last hour taming up the 95 male. Tomorrow will be grab a griffin or two (probably need to farm up some more tranq darts first) then start planning out a land base. There was a nice spot up towards the icy area, it's kind of forested with a lovely big lake and some quite flat areas, with plenty of routes both up and down the surrounding terrain.

Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Oh man, yup, a mantis with two swords is still intimidating as hell. You can use metal spears too, if you want. Freaky in either case. Congrats on the thyla! I still haven't done that... maybe today. I'm lucky to see any dinos above about level 25 still, so I really should stop being picky and just grab one. Regarding the crops, I have Longrass, Rockarrot, Savoroot and Citronal. The last one's seems to be one you may have missed.. they look like oranges. They're used in a few recipes, but aren't as heavily used as the others I guess. I've got two plots of each at this point. There's probably enough for a few fria curries, though now that I got polymer the more normal way I'm not sure I need any yet. Eventually for the industrial cooker and whatnot, but I'll need a whole lot more metal first.

Getting the biotoxin isn't too bad. Just fly around the shoreline until you see the jellies semi-close to the shore, go into the water and shoot them with the crossbow until they die. They'll even come toward you to make the swim shorter. Just don't let them touch you or your dino. Once they're dead, harvest away. Previously I used the thyla as they swim well, they may have a harvesting bonus, and if a shark or manta shows up the thyla can kill them pretty easy. At least as long as it's not an alpha megalodon... in that case you should find a different place to harvest biotoxin.

Well, good luck nabbing the griffins and starting up a land base!

Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Citronal! I did have that on the old file, just didn't see the seed/forgot it this time around. I've emptied out a plot to put that in now, thanks.

I think I'll just use the mantis when I feel like doing something weird. I know it uses the durabilty on the item as if you were using it too so could be annoying to stop and repair things regularly. Might be ok with a high level, high durability version I guess. Speaking of which I found a blueprint for a torch with something like 150% damage and 140 durability. Yes please! Made 2 of those.

I'll bear that in mind with the jellies. Although I don't need to worry for a while yet, I think it's 91 for shocking darts and I've only just hit 71 today. I will sort that out soon though. Today started with me placing a grill. Wow. I was quite content with my little campfire, it did what I needed but oh my god. The difference with the grill is just amazing. I threw a load of normal and prime on there and it was cooked in no time. My preserving box is now full. I also made a fridge finally but haven't set up an electric grid yet so it's sitting in my fabricator waiting to be placed.

After all that I went out and tamed a griffin. I could've had a 150, and should really. I might go tame it, they're unbreedable so you want to tame the best you can level-wise and hope the stats went well. But I saw a 130 who was really pretty. The 150 was just browns, this guy has brown wings, a grey body and golden highlights. There was a much prettier one that was black and gold but it was only level 20 so definitely not worth taming.

The rest of the day was spent starting to set up a land base. I spent ages scouting around earlier, then as I was umming and arring over one spot, I spotted 2 lovely golden horses trotting around it. I chose my last base as there was a 140 male horse there so why not stick with it. I plopped down a few foundations and walls to mark my spot then flew back to grab some carrots. Took forever to find the place again but eventually did and tamed them both up. A male and female, one was 85 before taming, the other was lower, maybe 55. I then spent an hour or so shuttling back and forth with one of my wyverns to bring my dodi, anky and thorny dragon over so I can grab any building materials I might need there. I also bred the horses. I think they might have mucked things up in the latest patch (in a useful way). The patch notes stated "fixed a bug where PC players couldn't hatch twins or triplets." Since that patch I've bred 3 times, and gotten 2 sets of twins and 1 set of triplets. Not going to complain. My final trip was to grab materials to make my first cryopod and also grab my thyla. The new base is not far from the green obelisk so I popped over there, made the cryopod and will use that to bring my other critters over at some point. It's in the hills/plains but is very close to the redwoods, a swampy bit, the icy area, the tropical islands and the desert. My wyvern can fly back to the old base in 1 or 2 lots of stamina, depending on if I sprint or not, and the argy can do it in 2 or 4 depending on sprinting. So overall it's a decent spot.

Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Nice griffin. I'm really curious how those are to play with. It sounds like they have better stamina than argy. What's their weight and damage like in comparison to that, and the wyvern as well, I suppose. I know wyverns are pretty much better than wyverns in every way, except they're really huge and not very maneuverable. Your land base looks like a pretty cool location. I like having mostly open area around it, just in case alpha crap starts threatening. I'm glad you got your industrial grill set up! Yea, that thing is awesome. It's why I built it so early on... trying to cook up a stack of prime with a campfire is just an exercise in futility. With a grill, it's like butter! And congrats on finding the upgraded torch schematic. High end schematics of low level stuff like torches and clubs are actually surprisingly useful even late into the game.

Nice you got a cryopod, though you'll need to get that cryofridge as well if you want it to last more than 30 days. :roll: Funny timing... I just built my cryofridge and 4 cryopods, though since I have a power grid I'm a little bit ahead of you. :mrgreen: I did finally build a capture pen near the mountain that's at the center of the red woods. That should let me cap a thyla, and maybe a sabertooth too if I feel the desire. It wouldn't take much modification to grab another argie with it either, but really with everything being so low level I don't think there's much of a point yet. Other than that I'm really just smelting metal stockpiling other mats. My next big project is getting an industrial smelter built so I can produce metal a lot faster. It's not quite as amazing as the grill, but still WAY faster than a forge. It also uses gasoline, but that's ok.

I still have not made the fria curry. I need to do that soon... even though the organic polymer isn't necessarily critical, it would be nice to be able to mine the oil rocks in the cold zone. Right now the only way for me to get oil is by finding tek dinos, and that's really hit or miss. An argy, an anky in a cryopod and a handful of oil rocks would keep me happy for awhile.

Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Ooh that fridge is fancy. I definitely need to grab one but I think I have 10 more levels to go before I can make one. Being on a map without notes makes levelling tough! Especially when I keep getting distracted by not-xp-heavy activities. Nicely done on all the electric set up, what level are you up to now? You must be in the 90s. You have quite a few things on your list there, that's the good/bad thing with Ark, there's always plenty to do but it can certainly get a bit overwhelming at times. Especially when you start out with what seems like a simple objective then realise that it means you need to do 7 things before it.

I'm about to have a quick narcotic session/possible taming/horse breeding before work so I've done a pic of the griffin stats. I have levelled it up a little, maybe 10/15 levels. I think on tame it was about 2000ish health and 400ish stamina. All my points have gone in health and stamina so far. They take some getting used to. As they're not breedable (though there are mods) they're inferior to everything in theory as no imprinting or mutating, but as a base dino they're pretty good. No need for a saddle which is a bonus provided you're not going to get hit. The stamina is probably comparable to an argy but it's hard to tell as it gets used up very quickly if you swoop. That's their unique point. You can swoop down straight towards the ground and it builds up speed. You can then either pull up out of the dive and retain the speed for a short time, allowing you to even outdistance wyverns, or you can attack things. You can slam into the ground and attack which does 3x the normal damage or you can pull horizontal and attack which does up to 15x the damage! I really struggle to do it though, most of the time I only hit things for 75ish and my normal attacks do about 50ish. I accidentally did the ground slam once and hit something for about 300 damage though. If you can get the knack of it, it could be amazing. I dragged my griffin behind my wyvern last night though and god it was slow if it isn't sprinting. I've gotten very used to my wyvern and not having to stop for stamina. The crystal wyvern seems slow when on it just due to the size and the fact it isn't flapping like a nutter like the ptera but you can really feel the difference if you jump on an argy or griffin after. Crystals turn better than normal wyverns too (still a bigger circle than an argy or ptera though).

Last night was mainly just me bringing my horses/stego/argy over to the new base along with some basics I might need. I grabbed my scythe, my taming stuff and my industrial grill. I didn't bring anything else over yet as I have both my argy and thorny dragon to use as a smithy and 2 horses with saddles that can be mortar and pestles. I built a stable/field for my horses and then got distracted by 2 rexes and a spino near my base. They're on the other side of a valley so can't get to me unless they go a long way round but they were happy chomping on 4 or 5 brontos. The rexes were 135 and 140 (both male) and the spino is also 140. I tamed the 140 rex before finishing up last night. Once I farm up more darts and narcotics I'll grab the spino and maybe the other rex too. I am 71 so can make a spino saddle now but not rex saddle yet. I also saw a 176 tek rex but she stomped off somewhere and haven't found her again since.

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:44 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Quick update from yesterday/this morning and probably the last one until after the weekend as the Diablo 2 open beta is on so I'll be playing that (not that I'm buying it any time soon).

The spino was actually 145. I had a quick go at trapping her in the morning but a 3 high wall didn't contain her. Instead I settled for relocating my greenhouse so that is now over at the new base with 1 plot each of longrass/savoroot/rockarrot/citronal and 2 plots of narcoberries. The spot for the base is actually better than I thought. I had a scout around and it should be easy to secure as there's only one way up to the very top of it, where I am, then there's a sort of band halfway up that you can get to from two different directions. One is very narrow and again easy to secure, the other will take a few more walls but still easily doable. Then it's just down into the plains. There's a tiny swamp to the south side of it where I've already seen a baryonyx (low level) and another spino (again low level) which I thought would be fine for water, or the coast is only a 30 second flight away. Even better though, there's actually a water vein right on the top of the plateau. So I've stuck a water well over it which is attached to the greenhouse irrigation and I can also drink from it. I can also attach more pipes so I can hook up the higher level machines later that require water. I've also brought my fabricator over plus my forge so the tiny hut I'm currently in is very cramped right now! It does mean I can unload any storage or machine in there though and just turn round to dump it elsewhere without moving.

In the evening I had another go at taming the spino. I brought some more walls back with me from the old base and made it 4 high plus 2 fences on the top. That worked! So I now have a spino called Enya. I took her out for a spin this morning. Those things move fast! Slower in water than I expected. She also crushes things she runs into. I killed a parasaur and a dodo just by sprinting. While I was testing her out I spotted a 135 female rex so I might try to kite that over to my pen at some point and start breeding up some super rexes. I saw a 150 dire wolf on one of my flights between bases so also grabbed and tamed that. I'll be breeding them again at some point but not just yet, but it would be silly to ignore a max level when I see it. I bred my two blood wyverns together and got an ok baby, level 74. Parents were 90 and 20 pre-tame so not bad. Just before finishing up though I happened to be flying over the blood wyvern area and spotted a new male had spawned, level 100. The previous male was 20 so had to grab him for the upgrade. He's got good stats in damage so I should be able to breed a 130ish from him and the 90 female. I also grabbed a purple ring drop on the way back to base which had a blueprint for a purple chitin chestpiece in it with 146 armour. Yes please!

Next plans are to build up the defenses around the base (couple of gates with towers/walls next to them should suffice), get myself levelled more (72 right now) and go grab the female rex. I did also spot a 150 baryonyx so might try to grab that too.

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:51 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Oh nice, the Spino is cool. I almost got a Spino in a previous game, but freaking megalodons ended up killing it. Thanks for the detailed info on the griffins. I'm looking forward to playing with those as well. To answer your question, I'm level 100 now (just hit it very recently).

So I had a very good day yesterday. I cooked up a bunch of fria curries, poke-balled my anky, and flew on an argy into the cold zone. I don't know if something changed, but I was no longer freezing to death (even without the curry). I'd increased my fortitude from 35 to 40, so that might've been enough. Either that or something changed with the latest patch. In any case, I was able to grab a ton of oil from oil rocks, and also a bunch of organic polymer. With the polymer I built 5 more poke-balls, 2 more fridges, and 6 air conditioners for my future baby zone. This ended up chewing up most of my metal I had smelted, so I built 2 more forges and went on a couple metal runs. It's still going to take awhile, but my next major thing is definitely to make an industrial smelter. Mass-producing metal is slow even with one, but it's be way faster than the forges. All that oil I got also means I have plenty of gasoline now, which is great.

As if those accomplishments weren't enough, I finally got myself a thylacoleo, and a pretty one at that. I grabbed it at level 23, which isn't bad for my map. I'm starting to see wild dinos in the low 30s or so, but that's still pretty low in the greater scheme of things.

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

100, congrats! I've remembered to equip my little noglin pet thing so I can level it up when killing alphas and get the extra 5 levels from it when I finally get to 100. It sounds like you had a great day, that is one funky looking thyla! Must've spawned while the summer event was on, you certainly won't miss it when running for your life and needing a ride ;) I love that kairuku with the orange lines and blue feet too, hope that's one you spared. I had a giggle to myself that you spared ones with fun coloured feet. Metal just doesn't seem to last. I can gather what feels like loads with the anky but then when it's done smelting 3 years later you've gained about 100 ingots. And need 120 for that new saddle. :roll:

Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Haha, yup, I totally spared that orange one with the blue feet. There were actually two of those. There were a handful of others that also had blue feet. Some day I'll come back and tame them. I've never actually tamed a penguin, so I definitely need to. :mrgreen: I hear you on the metal. When I did my metal runs I probably stocked those forges with about 900 metal each. After smelting that turns into 450 bars, and then that goes amazingly quickly. :roll: Eventually I'll probably have 1-2 smelters on each of the major mountains.

So I ran around on my thyla today, partially to get levels, partially to collector chitin and keratin for cementing paste. I'll need a ton for the industrial smelter, chemistry station and industrial cooker. I levelled it quite a bit, but apparently now microraptors are a thing and are stunning me and knocking me off my mount. I managed to get knocked off, then subsequently murdered by a terror bird while I was stunned. I almost forgot how much I hate those little bastards. I may need to bring along 2-3 raptors with me when I go out on murder runs. Still, overall things are going well. I still haven't started breeding yet, but I probably should. Oh, and just in case you were unaware, snails are an amazing source of chitin. The thyla seems to get a bonus to harvesting as well, so it's a great synergy.

I did run into a Titanosaurus today. Thankfully it's nowhere near my base.

Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Tame an army of blue footed penguins! You can pretend they're blue footed boobys (giggity)

Microraptors are total bastards. I had one of the little shits right by my base last week. I was just running round on the horse, gathering berries, when wham! I'm on the floor, stunned. Luckily the horse kicked the shit out of it but honestly, so rude. I didn't know that about snails, I know everyone says to tame them for the cementing paste they slowly make (think that's what it is anyway) but you need veggie cakes to tame them and I have yet to raid a bee's nest and make any. Did you go tree climbing with your thyla? I just wish you could go round the trunks instead of only up and down with them. And climb more than just the really huge redwoods.

I turned on the settings so that if I ever tame a titanosaur it can actually eat and stay alive. Could be fun to trash a map with one.

I ended up not playing as much Diablo 2 as I expected. Instead I spent the weekend farming stone, wood and thatch. I did spot a male spino that spawned where the female had, just below my base. He was also 145 so tamed him up and bred them. I got a 217 baby from them. I can get better though, think I can get a 232. Spinos are my new favourites. They're speedy and strong and they're sort of cute too! Bloody huge though, I hadn't gotten close enough to one in the wild to realise and even when taming I was stood well back so until they stood up after taming it didn't quite hit me. It seems to be a hot spot for spinos there too as another pair spawned yesterday, though lower levels. I was going to grab them for their colours but today they had despawned.

Anyway it was a mostly uneventful weekend as I was farming up to do my defenses. I started a wall near my base, then needed a break so I took the spino 'baby' out for a spin. We ended up near the coast where the 150 baryonyx was. I didn't spot that. What I did spot was a basilo in the bay. Killed a couple of megalodons that were hanging around then managed to lure the mantas away and chomp them with the spino. Then spent 15 minutes chasing the basilo around to feed it. Luckily she stayed in the bay so it was an easy tame. 95 that came out at about 141. A level 15 also spawned there but it was another female so I murdered her for the oil. I now have a good supply of gasoline so I've set up 5 fridges. I tried using the wind turbines but they switch off overnight even though there is wind and if you attach a generator to them to auto-turn on when they stop working it doesn't switch back off (a known bug and in my case just didn't switch on) so I've just gone for the generator now.

Due to taming the basilo though I wanted to get a safe(ish) water pen going. So most of yesterday and today has been on one wall. I moved it in, I was going to do it right out by the sea but that was way too deep and wide (more giggity). So I moved it back a little but it has still taken forever. It doesn't even have a gate in it because I need to figure out the best place to put it without things collapsing. I also need to do two smaller walls at other inlets into this bay and in theory some actual land walls but not sure if I'll bother with that. The basilo is there and the 3 spinos, all floating at the surface.

I hit 75 from all the building so I can get some vaults going at some point too. Next major milestone I need is 81 for the scuba gear.

Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next