It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Magic Legends 
Minor Diety

Post Magic Legends
This just went into open beta today so I'm giving it a try. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

Things I like:
From the one video I'd seen I was getting Diablo vibes but with more strategy involved and it sort of is but less Diablo than I thought. Diablo to me = lots of loot pinatas and that's definitely not the case here. I've played for maybe 3 hours today and reached level 6 and only picked up 2 helmets and a necklace. You don't have a ton of equipment slots, only 6. The idea is they want loot to be meaningful so instead of constantly swapping it out you can instead swap the mods on it. Each item will have a primary mod which you can't change and then two secondary mods which you can swap. I can't right now as when I clicked it to see, it gave me options but they were locked. It looks like each item only has a few options to choose from and no clue what you have to do to unlock them. I assume you have to find an item with the relevant one on.

Classes are a bit different to the norm due to being based around the colours of Magic cards (not sure how familiar any of you are with them, I'm not massively, only played the card games on Steam occasionally). I chose a Beastmaster which is green mana. She has a big axe (you can't change the weapon I don't think) and an Aether Fox to fight with her. Each class gets a primary and a secondary ability which use nothing but a cooldown so you can always use them. You also then collect cards and build your deck which basically just become your spells and abilities. Like in the card game they switch between the cards. Until my last couple of levels I only had 2 slots that they would cycle into but now I have 3. The cards use your mana. You also get a couple of other things I haven't fully played around with yet; just before I logged off I unlocked something called a "spark" ability. The guide on it just said something about being empowered for a short time and you build up the meter to activate it by killing enemies. The fact your abilities swap in and out gives a little more strategy than most games since you're not just waiting on stuff to come out of cooldown but have to actively use something to refresh what's available and then hope you have enough mana to use it. That means it can get a little hairy if you desperately need your heal spell! Cards can be upgraded to make them more powerful and eventually you can unlock the deck editing ability.

One thing I like is you don't have to restart to try new classes. Again I haven't unlocked it yet but you can swap on your current character. Each class can go up to level 30 and if you continue levelling past that you get Planeswalker levels which I'm assuming are like paragon levels in Diablo 3 and grant extra bonuses.

If cosmetics are your thing then you just have to find them in the world and can then change them around at a tailor. So although I'm a Beastmaster I have the other class starting gear unlocked so I could look like a Necromancer or a Mind Mage if I fancy. It doesn't cost anything either and you can change colours in a very Baldur's Gate way, where you just choose primary and secondary colour for your overall scheme rather than per piece.

It is an online game which is mildly annoying and is split into two types of area. Overworld, where everyone is running round spamming chat and then mission zones where you go into an instance. In the overworld you can find random events which give rewards. There are of course random enemies to kill as well and fast travel points. Some of the main quest takes place in the overworld and some takes you to mission zones. When you click to enter these you get options of world difficulty, world enhancements (not unlocked any of this yet, I assume it'll be "more gold but mobs hit harder" type of things) and whether you go in a private or public version. Private is just you or your party, public will matchmake you with other people.

Things I don't like:
Micro transactions. I can get behind these (though usually don't buy them) in free games and can happily ignore them in priced games if they're cosmetics only. However this one is not. There are 'boosts' which I didn't look at fully but some do offer extra rewards from quests. Considering the rewards are usually spell pages to upgrade your spells this could give pay for players a big advantage.

Season pass. Why oh why does EVERYTHING have to have a season pass at the moment?! It's the usual thing of having levels within the pass and each one gives a reward and, you guessed it, there's a free path and a paid for path with extra rewards.

Time gates. There are quite a few different currencies. Gold, aether, planar mana, zen and a few I didn't look at the names of yet. Zen for example is used in the in-game shop. Gold is just bog standard gold. Aether is used to upgrade your gear. Planar mana said something about upgrading your base (so I guess there's base building here too). I noticed when I was looking up the planar mana though that it said "**/**** weekly amount". The aether does the same thing, said something like I'd refined 13,000 of 50,000 daily amount. These things also annoy me. If I want to spend 15 hours playing it today don't cap my currency just because some people are only playing half an hour a day.

Anyway if anyone does fancy giving it a try it's free to sign up for the beta and is quite fun when you get used to the combat style. If you do decide to give it a try let me know and we could party up. I'm probably not going to play it to death but will definitely keep it up for a bit. Not sure how long beta is going to last but it's not one where your progress is wiped.

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Post Re: Magic Legends
Add me on the arc site peltztheone. I had an account from 2013 but not sure why.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:49 am
Stranger

Sorry my bad, it is peltstheone.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:19 am
Minor Diety

Sent a request, my name is pevil#1552. I have that problem, so many game sites I go to sign up for an account and I already have one but god knows why!

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I did go back on it last week for a second play and it got on my nerves after less than an hour. It has some issues with not always registering a button press which can get irritating in the heat of battle. I think I was starting to feel pretty crappy though and when I get like that I'm not in the mood for gaming so the tiniest thing was going to annoy me. Not jumped back on it yet but I do intend to give it another go.

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]