It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
The Survivalists 
Minor Diety

Post The Survivalists
Just picked up the demo on Switch yesterday but it's also on Steam, coming out in October. https://store.steampowered.com/app/8974 ... vivalists/

It's apparently the same universe as The Escapists, not something I know anything about but see it around a lot. The controls on Switch are a little clunky but might be better on PC. It's a survival game in old sprite-style graphics but high res and it looks lovely. You wake up on an island and have to survive so there's plenty of Minecraft-style gameplay of hitting trees and smashing rocks to unlock more recipes. You also come across enemies and animals that might attack. You have to eat regularly as well. Treasure bottles wash up daily with clues as to where you can find new equipment or treasure. There are dungeons you can find and apparently a mysterious stranger who gives quests (I haven't found them yet). You also start with 1 monkey friend and can find more; I've got 2 now. These monkeys can be put to use around your camp. You can teach them gathering, harvest, combat, crafting and something else I forget right now. They learn by mimicking you when you tell them to. I'm struggling a little figuring them out but I've only played a couple of hours and not looked anything up. I did get one to go on a tree-felling rampage but his tool ran out and I can't quite figure out how to get them to craft for me. I might need more so one can bring them materials, one makes the tool and the other uses the tool.

Either way I'm quite enjoying it. There's co-op in the full game and it's not going to be a full priced one (~£21). It's by Team 17, the guys who did Worms so bound to be full of weird, funny things.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Post Re: The Survivalists
Ok, interesting sounding. Thanks for the information.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Interesting, might even try that demo on Switch (if i find the time). Can't say no to some pet monkeys!

~King of Thieves~

Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:30 am
Stranger

Just make sure to name them monkeys after us, preferably multiple aliases of Rinox, but 'us' will do :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:16 am
Minor Diety

I've moved to the demo on Steam, there's a lot more that's unlocked on it (recipes etc) and the controls are a bit better. However the slider for colours doesn't work on the PC, half the time it won't move then sometimes it'll jump with your mouse to a random colour. There are also some in-game tutorials on monkey training in the PC demo. I have 4 monkeys on there. None named after 'you' (Ox) yet but one named after Niall, one after the monkey in Futurama (Gunther), one called Butler and one called Mankey after the Pokemon. Expect Ox variants soon ;)

Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I'm sure those monkeys named after me will have nothing but positive attributes! :P

I had a look at the trailer and it does look fun! How many people can play in coop? This has the potential to be our new Terraria perhaps. :) Someone book a room in rehab for J already hahaha.

- Coach

Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:08 am
Minor Diety

I'm not certain on the coop, possibly 4? I must admit I haven't played it again this last week but that's due to being addicted to Hades (see the "What are you playing right now" thread). I did spend a good few hours on it straight one night though. I don't know if coop is even in the demo but if anyone else tries it out and enjoys it, shout and I'm pretty sure I'll get it so I'm up for monkeying around ;)

Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]