It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Doom (4) 
Minor Diety

Post Doom (4)
So I got this game from Shiny and it's pretty damn awesome...I already put a short Steam review up that you may have seen, but damn, the game is just non-stop carnage. It feels like the FPS equivalent of Mad Max: Fury Road. :-D At the beginning I was a little....eh...because they seemed to kimit your movement a bit and the FOV was a bit console-y, but turns out that was basically just for the opening sequence. Once you put on your armor and jump into the red sands of Mars it's all smooth, glorious demon-killing.

The game half forces you to constantly be moving and killing to stay alive, and it works really well. The way they did it is through really solid and fast old-fashioned strafe/jump movement, but also through what they call "glory kills". It sounds like a console thing that would break your flow, and I thought so at first too, but in reality it's the perfect way to keep momentum. See, glory-killed enemies drop more health/ammo than normal, and the animations are really quick and really well done. There are like 6 different animations for every enemy too, depending on from what angle you're attacking. Aiming for legs gives you a sort of leg-sweep-and stomp, from behind you'll grab their skill and rip it off, from the left you grab their arm and beat them with it, etc etc. I'm just naming a few, the type of animation really depends on each enemy. It stops it from getting too boring, and like I said the animations are usually perfectly timed. In many cases the death animation will keep going after you intiated the glory kill, so you can keep moving while the guy swallows the grenade you jammed into his mouth and explodes into a pile of goo.

They also changed the way the chainsaw works, from uberpowerful "get out of jail card" to a more sparsely used superweapon that provides you a plethora of ammo for every kill. So once you depleted all your weapons, pulling out the old chainsaw and cutting an enemy in half will get you back on your feet. The chainsaw is still a one-hit kill for any opponent (except bosses obv), but depending on their size and strength it'll use more fuel. Chainsawing a baron of hell (the biggest non-boss enemy) will use all of your fuel at once, but you can chainsaw several smaller demons in a row. The balance works really well, it still gives you the "gonna fuck you up" joy of the chainsaw while making it a bit less OP, and the ammo mechanic is really quite clever given the nature of the weapon.

The game also features the old school secrets, which again seem to be finding the right balance in terms of difficulty to find. I was storming through the game and managed to get like 30% of secrets on average, I'm sure it's a lot easier to find the rest if you backtrack a bit and go off the beaten path. Oh, and most big "arena" fights have powerups scattered around. They go from quad damage to invulnerability to berserker (instant glory kills, my favorite) and speed bonuses. They only last 30 seconds or so so it's important to know when you activate them or not. It's usually a better idea to wait until the last waves with the biggest enemies to activate them.

So, basically, the gameplay is a return to the old strafe shooter coupled to some clever design choices. The game also offers more modern shooter elements like the ability to upgrade and customize your abilities/stats/weapons. Not a huge fan, but it can be ok if done well enough, like in this game or the Shadow Warrior remake. At least it doesn't get in the way too much.

Some minor complaints: had a crash or two, nothing major, but still. There is no manual saving, but it didn't really bother me as the autosave checkpoints are generous, and you're killing shit 85% of the time anyway. It's mostly annoying when you are trying some risky jumps to get to a secret and keep missing your jump. :rolleyes: Speaking of jumping, there are some "platformer" elements (very minor ones, but still) which can get a little frustrating. But nothing too bad.

Probably one of the best "no-nonense" shooters I've played in a few years. So if you're into that short of shit...you know what to buy. :P

P.S. Oh yeah, and the soundtrack is great.

- Coach

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:22 am
Felix Rex

Post Re: Doom (4)
Glad you enjoy it. I heard many positive things about it. It's totally in my games to play queue. Soon as I finish Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Mad Max.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeha, thanks again for the game. :-)

How is Mad Max? I love the franchise, but usually games based on a movie franchise are kinda shit, so I figured...maybe when it's like 5 euros. :P

- Coach

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:38 am
Stranger

The game is mediocre!

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:22 pm
Felix Rex

It started off ok, but then became pretty repetitive. I'd heard some really good reviews, but I'm not sure why. Looks like IGN gave it 8.4 / 10. *shrug* Unless something major changes, yea, not sure why.

Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Hey Satsi, I saw you played (and finished?) Doom 4? What did you think of it?

- Coach

Sun May 21, 2017 5:15 am
Felix Rex

I should really like that game, but I didn't. It was a bit of a chore to complete. I'm not sure why, though. I can't point to anything about it that I disliked, I just couldn't get into it. I think my tastes have just changed. :cry: Guess I'm getting old.

Mon May 29, 2017 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Sorry to hear it!

It definitely can be a slog at times, but I was always coasting on the adrenaline of moving, strafing, glory killing and metal. So I didn't mind as long as I wasn't playing for seriously extended periods. Then it could get a bit repetitive yeah.

Next time I'll gift you a copy of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - casual edition. ;-)

- Coach

Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:24 am
Felix Rex

Sounds amazing. Thanks bro. :roll: Rimworld is still pretty awesome, though.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Still waiting for it to be "finished' before buying it :P I'm a frugal man!

- Coach

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:50 am
Felix Rex

You realize there aren't any paid DLCs (yet), right? You get the upgrades for free. :o

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Oh no, I didn't mean it in that way. I mean that I wanted the game to be feature complete before splashing cash on it. But maybe this is like Dwarf Fortress and an eternal work in progress kind of thing?

- Coach

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:40 pm
Felix Rex

It might be. The core gameplay isn't really changing. They're just adding stuff on top of it... non-essential things mostly. The last update added rivers and roads and tried to make trading with other settlements (or raiding them) more viable, rather than just squatting in your little zone permanently. I still squat in my zone pretty much permanently. Some balancing, but whatevs. Oh, and maybe new tech to research. But none of it is critical for the core gameplay.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Do the updates still apply to games that are already in progress though?

I mean obviously anything to do with generating maps won't, but I mean the tech updates, trading etc?

- Coach

Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:03 am
Felix Rex

That's an excellent point. And what usually happens is your save games stop working and you have to start over. So that may be a deal-breaker for you.

On the other hand, if you're playing without 'oops, shit, reload', games don't tend to last very long. :roll:

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next