It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Rimworld 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Rimworld
The doormats mod sounds like one of those "so simple it's genius" mods. You could also make one that makes people take off their shoes when they go inside (and there is no emergency), I guess. :)

The hospitality one sounds good too, and the embattlements should already be in the game tbh.

Why haven't you played around with turrets yet? Too fidgety?

How intricate is the medical system btw? I know that there is a "doctor" skill, but how elaborate is it? Can they set bones, clean wounds, perform surgery?

(here we go again) In DF, there are several medical skills that all affect the treatment to some extent or another. Bone setting, suturing, surgery, wound dressing, cast making and so on. Some doctors are better at fixing some things, and 'nurses' obviously need to be good at wound cleaning. The equipment you keep in your 'hospital area' also determines effectiveness of the treatments. You need thread for suturing, cloth for wound dressing, plaster for casts, and clean water and soap will drastically reduce chances of infection when dealing with open wounds.

I'm obviously not expecting Rimworld to have this level of detail (yet), but I hope it's a bit more than just "NPC with surgery skill stands next to torn open colonist and magically heals him because his skill is maxed out". :)

- Coach

Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:07 am
Minor Diety

I haven't touched turrets yet because there's loads more still to try and prioritise in relation to building stuff that helps colony life in general. The tricky aspect in some respect is getting the right balance, so turrets I mainly see as merely a defensive boost. Besides, I think I manage to equip my colonists very well anyway. I have about 8 in this world. 5 have assault rifles, 1 has an RPG and 1 has a Barret rifle, and 1 has an energy rifle. They all have kevlar vests and helmets, and the base is now fully enclosed in walls.

The medical system mod is pretty cool and detailed. Colonists can lose / fracture or scar anything from a finger to a toe. This usually happens in combat, or when you're mining and there's a roof-collapse. Cuts are very easy (too easy imo) to heal. Once your colonist has finished combat, if he's been cut, he will go to his bed to heal. Cuts will heal in about half a day on their own without any medical attention, but there is a 50/50 chance of infection, which can develop into moderate infection if it remains untreated. Even if you treat the minor infection, there's a chance the treatment isn't effective. Same goes for a moderate infection. If the colonist gets major/extreme infection, survival chance can be slim. So really, I get my medic B-line it immediately to anyone in triage as soon as combat ends. Scars occur if the colonist survives a cut without treatment. This causes them minor pain permanently and I think a small reduction in skill ability according to the affected limb. So far, no way of dealing with scars except the drastic option, which I outline next. If the colonist loses a limb, this will pretty much render them mostly useless. It is heart-breaking to have one of your good shooters lose an arm or a leg, so to solve this there are 3 options. a) Simple prosthetics. b) Bionics c) advanced bionics. Simple prosthetic are crafted with some basic materials but also some advanced materials. This would be the equivalent of crafting a peg-leg for anyone that lost their leg. Or a claw for someone who's lost their hand, or a denture for someone who's shattered their jaw (this happened to poor derf once). You craft the prosthetic item at the prosthetics bench, then in order to install it, you select the affected colonist, click on their Health tab, and then the Operations tab, and select to have the right surgery carried out. He/she will then go to bed, and the designated medic will then gather medical supplies and the prosthetic item, and perform the surgery. I have to say, sometimes this fails. Sometimes it fails with comical outcomes. There are 3 levels of failure. 1 is minor, which means you've wasted the item, and cut the patient, causing additional bleeding which needs treatment. Not a big problem cos they're knocked out on anaethetics by this stage anyway. The moderate failure is the same, but you've done it to a number of other previously healthy body parts. A critical failure is the same, but you've somehow managed to entirely remove one or more other healthy body parts. Bionics (which i've just started to dabble in) are frickin awesome. More expensive to craft, but these give your colonists ability boosts. So there's a very good case for replacing healthy limbs with artifcial upgrades. In fact i've recently replaced on of Rinox's ribs for a bionic one that boosts adrenaline, so he now moves faster in general. To craft these, you need a material called plasteel and a very good surgeon, so it's not easy. The advanced bionics option I haven't trued yet. It requires a material that i've never found or traded.

2 more points, each colonist has about a dozen abilities ranging from speech to movement speed to manipulation etc. Depending on their injuries / bionics, skills alter accordingly on a percentage basis. So a naturally healthy colonist has 100% on all abilities. The same colonist with a bionic arm will have 115% manipulation. If you add another bionic arm, it will be 130%. Better manipulation = better marksmanship. Second point is that you can build specific medical rooms with specific medical beds if you want, even with an optional vitals monitor and sterile flooring. Having this medical areas improves medical treatment success rate, so I think it's essential.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:11 am
Minor Diety

Damn, that is pretty cool. :) Thanks for the explanation!

Also, stop turning me into a cyborg hahaha.

- Coach

Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:26 am
Felix Rex

Amazing. Check out the rest of iskOtter's stuff too.

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Really cool, had goosebumps at the end. :(

- Coach

Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2