It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Wolfenstein: The New Order 
Felix Rex

Post Wolfenstein: The New Order
I'm surprised this didn't have its own topic.

Anyway, I've been playing it heavily the last few days. It shifts between standard grindy first person shooter and pretty bad ass. Some of the stuff in that game is amazing. Also, the soundtrack is incredible. I can't remember that last time a game soundtrack made me so excited. From the German version of House of the Rising Sun to a lot of the original music (the moon theme, for instance), it's really, really good.

House of the Rising Sun... which if you don't know the original may not mean much to you. It's one of my favorite classic rock songs.

And Der Mond:

Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Post Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order
Mm, interesting. Those are both really cool yeah. Kinda surprised that they went so dark and 'out there' for the soundtrack of an AAA game. But pleasantly so. :-)

I think the last 'big' title I played with a soundtrack that I really liked was...Bloodlines? I guess? Although the Red Alert 3 soundtrack gets some credit too. Especially since it's about vodka and war bears.

- Coach

Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:44 am
Felix Rex

Oh man, Bloodlines, what a great game that was. I'd love to see someone make a vampire game with a modern graphics engine and modern game conventions. I'll check out that soundtrack when I get a chance.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Now you got me wanting to replay Bloodlines with all the patches and mods. :)

I don't know if you know this, but a few months ago Paradox wrestled the White Wolf universe license away from ailing CCP. Which means that we will see some games set in the White Wolf universe in the next few years, and it's very likely that a Bloodlines sequel or similar game would be part of that, given how popular the game still is to this day.

http://www.pcgamer.com/paradox-buys-whi ... -from-ccp/

- Coach

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:21 am
Felix Rex

Huh, interesting. A game like that would take years and years to make in the modern world, and even then there's no telling if it would be worth a crap. Still, it would be freaking cool.

Listened to about half that soundtrack. It's not bad, but doesn't do it for me as much as the Wolfenstein one. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:18 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

House of the Rising Sun, love that song. The voice in the german version doesn't appeal to me that much though.

~King of Thieves~

Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:57 am
Felix Rex

I just have a thing for German, probably due to my heritage and the fact hat most of the German I've had has been horribly accented (excepting that spoken while I lived there). I get a bizarre sense of satisfaction whenever I hear properly spoken German in movies or games. Wolfenstein was great, for instance. The only people that spoke German poorly were the native English speakers. :P

Regarding classical music, yea, I love House of the Rising Sun. Other great ones includes Paint it Black, I've love to change the world, White Rabbit, California Dreaming and A feast of friends.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Problem is that i often know songs, but don't recognize them by the title only.

I love "White Rabbit", but had to look it up to know what song it was. :)

I also love sinnerman for instance (both the original by Nina Simone and the Felix da Housecat remix, the latter is pretty well known here in Belgium i think), but thought for a long time it was cinnamon ... so i wouldn't recognize the title.

Music is not my forté.

~King of Thieves~

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:28 am
Felix Rex

Yea, sorry, when I initially wrote that I was planning on including youtube links to all the songs, but ran out of time. Considering how long it took me to find some of those songs, I'm not surprised you wouldn't necessarily recognize them.

Sinnerman's not bad. The Nina Simone version isn't bad, but I definitely prefer the Felix version of the two.

Paint it Black by The Rolling Stones

I'd love to change the world - original by Ten Years After

I've love to change the world - remix by Jetta

white rabbit - jefferson airplane

california dreaming - the mamas and the papas

a feast of friends - the doors

A feast of friends, in turn, got its inspiration from adagio in g minor by Albinoni.

I may have mentioned that on here before, but that relationship literally took me decades to figure out.

And then there's Adagio for string by Tiesto. I really don't like the majority of what Tiesto does, but this song is brilliant imo.

And all of this springs from Wolfenstein. :roll:

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]