It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Alien Isolation 
Minor Diety

Post Alien Isolation
I got this game from a friend for my birthday and I'm really digging it. :-) Mind you, I haven't played much of it yet, but the way it captured the atmosphere and design of the ships/suits/space stations of the Alien trilogy is really quite something. It's got that whole claustrophobic shit-moving-in-the-vents feel too. :)

These screenshots are not particularly good but maybe they give a faint idea of what I mean.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Coach

Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:03 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: Alien Isolation
Update: I finished the game and enjoyed it a lot. The Alien scared the shit out of me. I don't think I've been terrified of one particular enemy so much in a long time.

Its AI is pretty impressive too...it adjusts to your actions. If you are always distracting it in the same way(s), it'll stop going for the bait after a while. If you use fire to keep it at bay too much, it will become less afraid and stay out of your range and try to circle around it. If you always hide in the same places (like, a locker) it will start investigating those more. It also reacts to the beeping sound of your tracker if it is too close, can hear doors open and close, and will be attracted by noise in general (knocking over things, gunfire, shouting, running). It's all really scary and impressive.

Another fun fact is that while it will attack and kill other humans (thus serving as a nice way to eliminate groups of enemies if you can lure it to them and not get killed yourself), it will completely ignore androids. The androids will usually say something like "unknown lifeform detected" and log a report, but that's it.

If you ever play this game, make sure you play it on hard though - it's the recommended difficulty setting. The Alien's senses become noticeably poorer when playing on normal and this takes away most of the challenge and terror. Since you cannot destroy it with your weaponry anyway and it's ridiculously fast and strong (if it has you - you're fucked), the difficulty setting only affects how good it is at noticing you and how hard it will stalk and hunt you.

- Coach

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]